Equinox Battery Mah?

Cabo Chris

Ive got to ask, how many hunters will hunt more hours than this battery provides?   I can be close some days, but being a water hunting i dont think ill be able to charge and hunt IN the water anyway.   Do we think we need an external battery since compared to previous machines they required large bulky ones?   I noticed it says BATTERY in the manual...... is this just a better design Steve or a lighter one best suited for those that can charge?

If you knew the amp draw of the machine divide by 12 for approx mah. And why worry about all these back up batteries. It's not like we all go detecting more that 10 hrs a day and can charge at night. Getting crazy here! You could always put a car battery in a wagon and pull it around behind you. With a cooler in it of course. How about a solar panel hat?

I asked the same question, Johnny, and never did get an answer other than for when you forget to recharge at night and are running low...makes sense. I think it all boils down to some people just like to tinker and "customize"  their new toys... though, the new options serve no real practical purpose. Like a Jeep with $20,000 worth of "off road" up-grades...lifted 6", suspension, winch, 35" tires, etc...and then they never take it off road. But it looks cool. Sometimes, though, the tinkering does lead to some very practical ideas and mods and the manufacturer incorporates them in to the next model for the betterment of the machine/industry.

Dean

• Like 1

Who knew it was a disturbing subject. :smile: Actually the question was asked and my answer was “I charge nightly, never have a problem”. That said, I don’t see the harm in people exploring options. I detect a week at a time off the grid, and so power options always interest me. Of even more interest to me is the counterweighting concept, and in my mind there is no point in doing one without doing the other. So I am looking to make a coil counterweight - it just so happens it will double as a battery extender.

Between my detector, cell phone, GPS, etc. I am getting one of these, which can also give me emergency jump capability when I am on my long trips alone out in the desert. It’s not for the Equinox per se, actually the GPZ that prompted it. That and a scary episode where I ran my truck battery dead trying to charge some stuff at a remote location. It ended up working out but was too close for comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter

299E7C96-1F46-4C88-B69E-C884F9C1BACA.jpeg

As far as Equinox goes I have no doubt I will be rigging a counterweight for use with the 12” x 15” coil and it may as well be a battery pack also, so there you go. I won’t be using the beast above for that however!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As Steve said, it really comes down to capability. The chances that I will ever detect more than 12 hours in a row is minute. The chances that I will forget to charge are quite high! I do go hunting in Montana and I'm away from power for about 3-4 days. The battery packs I normally carry are to charge my phone. It's just a convenience thing for me. If it has a side benefit of balancing the detector out for a more comfortable experience, then all the better. If your're going to do it, might as well do it with some style or add some additional perks. My pack for my phone charger was a generic tubular item until I 3d printed a housing that made it look like a fusioncore from Fallout 4. It wasn't necessary but every time someone sees it, they want one or at the least ask me about it.  

13754206_1206628192742056_6477490396290640880_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

If you knew the amp draw of the machine divide by 12 for approx mah. And why worry about all these back up batteries. It's not like we all go detecting more that 10 hrs a day and can charge at night. Getting crazy here! You could always put a car battery in a wagon and pull it around behind you. With a cooler in it of course. How about a solar panel hat?

Solar panel hat, hmm.  Shark Tank here I come! Lol.

Since the NOX battery is built in, serious treasure hunters will be interested in back-up power sources.  Lets say a gold nugget hunter spends 2 weeks in the AK Bush... having power options, including possibly Solar could be a real solution for the NOX.  How much back-up power will have to be determined.  Does one want just emergency power or enough power on reserve for 10 full recharges?

Obviously for the casual hobbyist 12 hours detecting time is plenty, unless they forget to charge the unit before heading out, in which case even the hobbyist should be interested in emergency detecting options.  One reason I brought this topic up and after sourcing have 2 prototypes/mounts ready for testing. They mount well on my other machines. The only thing left is to determine how much mAh is needed for extending detecting hours say 6 hours and the mAh required for 1 full detector recharge/how long it takes.  A 3rd simplistic design is a belt/pack/ molle mount for larger banks.  But on the back burner until the actual provided NOX charge chord length is known and how secure the magnetic plug is.  I'm envisioning a way  other than electrical tape to secure that, as well as possibly sourcing longer charge cables/extensions.     

Obviously any typical battery bank will do, but still think NOX users would appreciate an Emergency Power kit for their NOX, and one which provides quick multiple attachment options.  This has been a fun research project and I'm surprised ML has not done it already?  It's amazing how many battery banks are available.  Some waterproof and with solar recharge!  Some with huge mAh!

One thing I discovered researching is there are battery banks and there are battery banks.  Some are pure junk, while others take a long time to recharge... some newer banks claim to recharge in half the time and I'm currently testing the ability of several solar banks.  

Should other NOX users worldwide be interested- Great.  If not, I'll have my first NOX Mod.