2018 - Year Of The Equinox!

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I copped a lot of heat when I made this post and Minelab picked it up as a Treasure Talk blog. The “shilling for Minelab” rhetoric got bad enough I abandoned the other forums. I really don’t need the abuse.

Well it is a wonderment isn’t it from around the time the Nox was released and forward in time.

A  whole series of Kruzers are released and no one is thrashed as a shill.

The Anfibio is released and no one is thrashed as a shill.

White’s MX7 is released and no one is thrashed as a shill.

White’s Goldmaster 24K is released and no one is thrashed as a shill.

White’s TDI BeachHunter is released and no one is thrashed as a shill.

Tarsacci MDT 8000 is released and no one is thrashed as a shill.

And now a French detector the Manta with a Fisher sticker on it is being released and no one is thrashed as a shill despite the fact that this thing has been shill-ed to death!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have reported enthusiastically about models made by every manufacturer of note, but the trolls do seem to come out the most when it is a Minelab. Since the internet relies on people hiding who they really are I do tend to think it is not a coincidence. There are lots of people out there with agendas. Minelab is top dog in many ways and lots of people do hate the company and would love to see them taken down. Many are Aussies oddly enough. My early report on the Gold Monster drew a vicious attack here by a couple Aussies. Yet another machine I feel quite comfortable with having called it right. There is not one review I have ever done that I can go back and read and think I mislead anyone.

Why don’t I do big negative reviews ripping on a detector? I simply pass on those since I am only interested in the good machines. The only exception was the MX Sport but that was because White’s backed me into a corner on that one. Having initially been extremely enthusiastic in reporting on the machine, more so than anyone else, I felt I had a responsibility to report when I discovered it was released with massive flaws. Not bugs, but known flaws.

I thought all that history mattered but I guess not. Well, that’s not fair. It does to the decent people, just not to people with an agenda. It’s too bad the internet has become such an unfriendly place.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I copped a lot of heat when I made this post and Minelab picked it up as a Treasure Talk blog. The “shilling for Minelab” rhetoric got bad enough I abandoned the other forums. I really don’t need the abuse.

So I have to admit I find it gratifying when I see people still “discovering” what I saw and what caused me to go “all in” with Equinox. Naysayers inevitably appear, but they are getting fewer and farther between now as the reality of Equinox is revealed.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=271405

I love my 800!  The only thing that would improve it for me would be an 8 or 9 inch coil.  This would help with the weight a little and would help me with my sites that have large amounts of iron.  I hope Minelab eventually provides a larger selection of coils.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

There is not one review I have ever done that I can go back and read and think I mislead anyone.

It's great that you can look back and think that Steve.   You probably sleep a little easier than those that may have had their pockets lined or received some sort of incentive to over-portray the powers of a particular machine.  

On 3/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s too bad the internet has become such an unfriendly place.

As with much of the real world.  But there are a still a few places to hangout, learn, enjoy amusing banter and be allowed to ask stupid questions without being berated.  It helps when the Rancher is the sheriff, judge, jury and jail warden   ?

• Thanks 1

My conscience is clear. For me it was not about money, it was about influence, having the ears of engineers and trying to get machines I wanted personally. If it was for the money I would have chased the social media thing but that’s not me. I have been withdrawing from the internet, not expanding my presence.

I can say I did have a tiny part in getting us where we are today. After twenty years of pushing I am actually finally satisfied. If there was never another new detector made what we have now is “good enough” for me. Equinox is not perfect, but it is where I thought the industry needed to go. I am grateful that Minelab listened to all the suggestions made by users on the internet for years to give us what I consider to be the first 21st century metal detector. It reset the entire industry and the repercussions are still being felt. The new models that come from the other companies now trying to adjust/catch up will benefit us all.

Mainly, Equinox broke the back on constantly increasing detector prices. We are now finally seeing what should happen in electronics - rapid advances via competition delivering more power at lower prices. It really is a new day for all of us now compared to the old “wait ten years for the next model” nonsense the U.S. manufacturers had been handing us. Things are moving so fast now and so many new models coming out regularly it is getting hard to keep up! ??

I do want to thank the engineers at Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Nokta/Makro, and White’s for giving an ear to the prattlings of a kid from Alaska over the years. It’s been a fun ride. :smile:

• Like 3

Just think if the computer industry had followed the detecting trends prior to the Equinox, we'd all be reading this forum using this "portable" computer that costs $2500!

Image result for commodore sx-64

• Haha 1

The coils will come, just never fast enough it seems. The machine is too popular, too many units out there, to not keep expanding the coil selection.

I could keep pounding my fist on the table wanting more but after 20 years it's time for others to lead that charge. Mainly I don't think it matters now. Competition is at fever pitch and Minelab has to keep it going or even they will have issues. Rarely does a company stay on top forever.

• Like 1