Equinox Speaker

On 4/10/2019 at 2:57 AM, 1848cal said:

Hi Steve! Just received the Equinox 800 and installed the WM08 and the ML80 per the instructions and now the external speaker will not function. I factory reset both the detector and headphones and no speaker. I’ve combed every resource with no luck. Thanks

A little confused as to what you are trying to do.  First off, why are you using both the WM08 AND the ML80?  You only need to pair the ML80 headphones if you want use wireless.  The WM08 is a separate wireless receiver you can use if you have a preferred set of wired headphones you want use wirelessly with the Equinox.  So make sure you are connecting one or the other but don't try to connect both.  If the Equinox sees the WM08 receiver is on it will try to pair with the WM08 instead of the ML80 (it will ignore the ML80 until you do a factory reset attempt to re-pair the ML80 again), so make sure the WM08 is off and you have reset the Equinox if you want to pair and use the ML80 headphones.  Note that if the Equinox pairs with either the WM08 or the ML80 headphones, the speaker will be automatically cut off.  The speaker will only work if it does not connect to any wireless receiver and as long as no wired headphones are plugged into the headphone jack on the back of the control unit.  Hope this helps. 

Refer to pp. 54 through 58 of the user manual linked here for more details.  HTH

I read the manual through twice, and plan to review it over and over, as I try to keep my learning curve and understanding of the Equinox fresh in this old brain of mine.  Lol...

I get that the WM-08 module paired with the NOX control panel, uses Wi-Stream tech,  for fastest digital audio transmission of 17 ms and for you to use your choice of wired headphones to take advantage of this option.  This allows you to still not be tethered, but remain still wireless, even though you are cabled with wired headphones, to the WM-08 module clipped to your self, or close by.

I also get that using the ML-80 wireless headphones paired with the NOX control box, uses aptX technology, Low Latency of 40 ms and is faster than standard Bluetooth technology transmission of 100ms or approx.  So even standard Bluetooth ear buds, or other types, will pair, but may suffer from lag time. 

So there are many ways to connect, both wired and wirelessly.

Which gets me to, something I read in the manual that I do not understand, and maybe someone can clarify for me, as it seems misleading.

On page 54 on the left side column, they state. The WM 08 does not have a speaker so must be used with
headphones. To use with the ML 80 Wireless Headphones, connect
the auxiliary cable.

So, are they saying its ok, to use the WM-08 module , with the ML-80 wireless headphone, in the event you do not have a pair of wired headphones, to plug into the WM-08 or to the back of the NOX control panel, using the included 3.5 1/8 inch x 3.5 1/8 inch aux cable? This being in the event you want to take advantage of the WI-Stream technology.

I agree, why would you want to connect both, its like they are saying, just pair the WM-08 module only, leave the ML-80 turned off, and connect the ML-80 headphones with the aux cable to the WM-08 module, to act as now your WI-Stream audio connection source.  Does that mean that your just bypassing, the powered up ML-80 headphones?  

Anybody else read that the same way?  I have not tried this by the way.

6 minutes ago, Redrock said:

I read the manual through twice, and plan to review it over and over, as I try to keep my learning curve and understanding of the Equinox fresh in this old brain of mine.  Lol...

I get that the WM-08 module paired with the NOX control panel, uses Wi-Stream tech,  for fastest digital audio transmission of 17 ms and for you to use your choice of wired headphones to take advantage of this option.  This allows you to still not be tethered, but remain still wireless, even though you are cabled with wired headphones, to the WM-08 module clipped to your self, or close by.

I also get that using the ML-80 wireless headphones paired with the NOX control box, uses aptX technology, Low Latency of 40 ms and is faster than standard Bluetooth technology transmission of 100ms or approx.  So even standard Bluetooth ear buds, or other types, will pair, but may suffer from lag time. 

So there are many ways to connect, both wired and wirelessly.

Which gets me to, something I read in the manual that I do not understand, and maybe someone can clarify for me, as it seems misleading.

On page 54 on the left side column, they state. The WM 08 does not have a speaker so must be used with
headphones. To use with the ML 80 Wireless Headphones, connect
the auxiliary cable.

So, are they saying its ok, to use the WM-08 module , with the ML-80 wireless headphone, in the event you do not have a pair of wired headphones, to plug into the WM-08 or to the back of the NOX control panel, using the included 3.5 1/8 inch x 3.5 1/8 inch aux cable? This being in the event you want to take advantage of the WI-Stream technology.

I agree, why would you want to connect both, its like they are saying, just pair the WM-08 module only, leave the ML-80 turned off, and connect the ML-80 headphones with the aux cable to the WM-08 module, to act as now your WI-Stream audio connection source.  Does that mean that your just bypassing, the powered up ML-80 headphones?  

Anybody else read that the same way?  I have not tried this by the way.

Yep, that is exactly what they are saying.  I think it is less about using the WM-08 because it has less latency than the ML80 phones, but the WM-08 provides an emergency backup wireless solution to keep you wireless should your ML80 phone battery gets drained or you forget to charge it since you can still use the ML80 phones powered off with the WM-08.

• Like 1

Ahhh!!!  Ok, that makes total sense.  Thanks Chase G.  for that explanation.  I forgot that I read in there somewhere that, it was indeed in case your battery gets drained, and you can continue detecting, using the aux cable, until you get your ML-80 batteries charged up.

8 minutes ago, Redrock said:

Ahhh!!!  Ok, that makes total sense.  Thanks Chase G.  for that explanation.  I forgot that I read in there somewhere that, it was indeed in case your battery gets drained, and you can continue detecting, using the aux cable, until you get your ML-80 batteries charged up.

As a matter of fact, even though i use the ML80 phones primarily, I still keep a charged WM-08 module in my MD Gear Bag as a backup if the ML80 phones do bite the dust battery wise so I can keep detecting wirelessly.  I think the passage in the manual that you cited is probably confusing to folks who are not familiar with wireless audio tech and also do not necessarily understand why ML included both the ML80 phones and the WM-08 in the EQ 800 box.  I know of several postings by folks who have had trouble starting out with the Equinox because they plugged the headphones into the WM08 not fully realizing this was not the normal wireless configuration they should be using.

Oh, and i should also mention, that even with some marathon, multi-hour Equinox detecting sessions, I have never had to resort to that backup solution.  The ML80 has plenty of battery life.

• Like 1

Agreed, I know it was confusing to me to read that, and wanted to make sure.  I saw same, many folks confused about the normal wireless configuration.  

• Like 1

You want to hear something funny, I recently purchased some new wireless headphones.  They are the aptX LL technology right?  They were only $59.00 dollars, and I got them, and guess what, they are the exact same headphones as the ML-80.  They are the SR-71 Stealth Headphones.  Only thing that is different is the labeling and marketing, the control buttons are a different color. 

So, looks like I have a back up pair,? I thought I was getting some headphones that were even faster than the ML-80.  There packaging says they are 4.2 Bluetooth aptX codecs etc.  However, I had a technical question and contacted, and they said they use these for the Equinox 600 and 800 metal detectors, and its stated in there write ups of the product.  He told me also, that these headphones are in indeed 4.2 & 5.0 Bluetooth technology.  See the link description below.  They don't state 5.0, only 4.2 because, they never updated there packaging they said.

I'll end up using these for my home entertainment system listening pleasure.  Lol...

Paul

Want to hear something even funnier?  I use the same phones.  Once I realized that ML was using rebranded Miccus phones for the Equinox, I got a pair BEFORE my Equinox even arrived (I was on a long waiting list) with the intent of marrying them up with an APTX LL transmitter so that I could use the same phones on both the Equinox and my ML GPX detector to which I affixed the APTX LL transmitter.  I actually keep the ML Equinox ML80 phones pristine in their case as an emergency backup should the Miccus ever go down hard and fail and have been getting the Miccus phones dirty and banged up in the field since early 2018.  I was not expecting the Miccus phones to last as long as they have given the fact that they are neither weatherproof nor of impressive build quality.  I have been pleasantly surprised by their durability.

• Haha 1

OMG!  How funny is that.  I will say one thing, the price for the SR-71, are a lot cheaper, than buying the ML-80 rebranded at a cost of over $100+, and a better savings.  Now I am just waiting for my Taotronics 5.0 transmitter to show up for my use of the SR-71 headphones for my entertainment TV/System.  Glad to hear they have been holding up for you.  I do have some waterproof headphones, in the event of wet weather, I'll use.