Ok this is not in the same league as Jims Discombobulated Tale and Mns Smart MD thread has revived a memory, back a few years before the local Stock Squad (Cattle Police) had their own MDs, they`d occasionally contact me and off they`d take me to a crime scene to see if the MD would detect some evidence. Long story short the VLF A2B whilst not as good as the PIs finding the spent bullet shells but much more capable of checking a carcass for the lead bullet ( carcass GB difficult with a VLF but near impossible with a PI).

One dead beast had a massive signal in its gut area, but could not find any recent spent shells in the area. Because the beast had been dead for a few days and out in the hot sun it was quiet swollen but the cattle station owner was keen to find what the signal was, one knife slice and a few of us were off spewing. So we relocated a fair bit upwind with the station owner shaking his head and calling us a mob of town wooses. Again shorten the story after a bit butchering and a lot of swearing the station owner smelling like,well I`ll let you guess, came over with the evidence, was obviously parts of a vehicle lead acid battery. The beast,and apparently not unusual for cattle,had a shot at digesting a battery. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Interesting........Reminds me of a situation I encountered in NSW near Kingower.

I was detecting some old workings with the 23 getting some crumbs. the area was near a cattle farm and laying in the diggings there was the remains of a steer that someone had poached with in the week or so, leaving only the head and the guts.

As I got 20 ft from the carcass the 23 started lightly pulsating, at 10 ft it was extremely loud like some kind of a fire alarm.  There were some hydro lines nearby but they  didn`t seem to effect anything previously, curious I circled the critter and each time I got close the detector acted the same. I assumed there was some kind of transmitter or chip in the carcass?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rege-PA said:

Interesting........Reminds me of a situation I encountered in NSW near Kingower.

I was detecting some old workings with the 23 getting some crumbs. the area was near a cattle farm and laying in the diggings there was the remains of a steer that someone had poached with in the week or so, leaving only the head and the guts.

As I got 20 ft from the carcass the 23 started lightly pulsating, at 10 ft it was extremely loud like some kind of a fire alarm.  There were some hydro lines nearby but they  didn`t seem to effect anything previously, curious I circled the critter and each time I got close the detector acted the same. I assumed there was some kind of transmitter or chip in the carcass?

Probably an NLIS ear tag. These RFID devices store information which identify the owner. Although passive electronic devices, it's possible the detectors transmit pulse was activating it.

Must try one and see - :smile:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rege-PA said:

Would be good to know just what caused that EMI, reminds me a bit of the solar panels I`ve had on roofs of prospecting vehicles since the late 80s, not a bother during the VLF days, but the PIs & the Z once you come within about 50ft of the vehicle EMI will start affecting them, at 20ft forget trying to detect and move the vehicle. Even worse at my home where power is all off-grid via solar & wind, recently trying to get some sense out of an oscilloscope on the SDC I relocated into a paddock but that`s another tale for another thread perhaps.