No Owner's Manual In Box?

Randy Dee

Steve

I notice that there is no "Operators Manual" just a "Getting Started Guide" in the photograph of the carton contents it must be a case of having to go on the Minelab web site and downloading the manual and printing it off yourself.

5AD78861-2424-47C7-BB76-41BA45494439.jpeg

• Sad 1

That is the way is has been with the CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000 and I suspect that is how it will be for Equinox. That's why people thinking the manual needs to be done already are probably wrong. It needs to be ready by the time the detectors ship. The Getting Started Guide pretty much covers all a knowledgeable detectorist needs to know to be off and running - I had nothing! The full manual just fills in details and adds extra stuff to help true beginners.

Equinox 600 / 800 Full Instruction Manual (English pdf 5.59 MB)

Equinox 600 / 800 Getting Started Guide (English pdf 847.71 KB)

Equinox Battery Charging Recommendations And Warnings

Minelab Equinox Parts & Accessories Page

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That is the way is has been with the CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000 and I suspect that is how it will be for Equinox. That's why people thinking the manual needs to be done already are probably wrong. It needs to be ready by the time the detectors ship. The Getting Started Guide pretty much covers all a knowledgeable detectorist needs to know to be off and running - I had nothing! The full manual just fills in details and adds extra stuff to help true beginners.

Steve the Equinox "Quick Start User Interface Guide" has been out now for a few weeks but any detector guide is not of the same value in gaining knowledge as a full blown manual and the only point which I was making is the fact that there is no paper manual present in the photograph of the carton contents and it is a sad day when one has to wait to download an operators manual  from the manufacturers web site. I know that this has happened previously as with the CTX and that is why the likes of Andy Sabisch steps in with the User Hand Book.

I have been in this metal detecting game for nigh on 47 years but that does not make me proficient and knowledgeable to pick up a brand new machine fresh on the market and go straight to my permissions and expect myself to be a wizard with it and that is where if one had the chance to read the manual prior to putting the coil to the ground a great many problems can be ironed out instead of being self taught and learning by trial and error.

Just before Minelab brought out the CTX3030 and when I bought my CTX I was assured by Minelab that there would be a full blown paper manual in the carton and when I received my parcel and there was no paper manual I got back onto Minelab and complained that there was no reason for them to tell me lies and they replied that Minelab would be shipping to many countries of different languages and it was prohibitive to take this on board yet the DVD's were in multiple languages.

I am not moaning but just being observant.

Good Hunting

Randy Dee

Durham UK.

• Like 3

I am not defending Minelab or arguing with anything you say - just stating what has been happening historically and what is likely to happen with the Equinox. I expect a pdf manual to be released before the machine ships, and either a DVD or just a note to visit the website to download the manual to be all that's in the box. Your observation about that is no doubt in my mind spot on.

• Like 4

Really... when one purchases a detector a comprehensive manual should be included- That's Smart.  Garrett has printed nice pocket manuals/field guides as not everyone is an expert.  But I guess when some businesses have too much business, they can get away with less customer service.  Like some Box stores do.  Soon there will be no customer service anywhere and the new generation will not even care.  One will just have to figure it out on your own.

Perhaps not providing a manual is a way to save money and reduce the price of the detector?  Or perhaps too many languages are required for print?  Obviously it's modern to use your computer/print one out.  I still prefer a real factory printed manual I can touch, one well written and one to show some foreign customs official/cop... what I have in my suitcase.  Another reason for not printing a manual might be because of future used machine upgrades via USB?  Then the printed manual might become outdated?  

Quite possible the NOX is so easy no manual is needed and a child could run it?  So it sounds like ML did not include manuals for field testers?  The testers just had to figure it out?  I just find it difficult to believe the Equinox manual is not finished at this point.  When I called ML I was told on the Release date the manual would also be posted.  Well that did not happen and at this point no longer care.  Reading the manual would have been fun while waiting for my machines- a way to familiarize beforehand.  Most likely I will not even need a manual to figure the NOX out.         

Posted November 17:

“The Li-ion battery in the EQUINOX detectors is easily replaceable. Minelab has not yet released official information as to whether or not a user can change the battery over without voiding warranty or if we recommend the battery is changed by a dealer or service centre. Further information about battery care and maintenance will be provided in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual, which has not been released yet. This will be available when the product is available. The EQUINOX detectors are not designed to run from AA batteries. However, you can use a standard USB power bank (as you do with mobile phones) to recharge the built-in battery and operate the detector at the same time.”

I suspect the person you talked to meant the Getting Started Guide - it's easy to get confused on this stuff, and trust me, not everyone knows everything at Minelab.

I am fine with pdf manuals personally since all my detector manuals are on my phone and iPad.

Let's be honest, Minelab did not start this. I am an Apple guy and none of their stuff comes with anything other than a Quick Guide. Same with most any computer gear I purchase. Paper manuals actually do cost a lot to print these days, and one change or mistake and they are all wrong. Electronic devices of any sort, this is getting to be the norm. Again, not defending it, but it is the way things are heading, like it or not.

It's also a function of an early announcement or release. People who hear about Equinox for the very first time in 60 days will have no idea a manual never existed early on. But we can tell them about the old days back when nobody knew anything.....:wink:

It's good to make a manual available with product availability.  Still the nice lady at ML said the manual would be posted on their site, on the release date.  Perhaps saying late January does not count as the release date?  Oh well, like I said previously I was hoping to take a NOX to Caribbean to test in the sea for 7 days. I wanted to read the manual because it looked like my ML dealer friend might have to pack my NOX to the Caribbean, as there might not be time to first ship it to me for test garden familiarization.  I wanted to at least be able to study the manual.  I've given up on the idea of getting to test the NOX this trip.  But anything is still possible.          

I like having a hard copy of these things. But I'm older than this upcoming generation that likes doing everything electronically if they can.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Minelab issue an Electronic Copy of the Equinox manual RATHER than a Paper Copy.

An Electronic Copy can be updated immediately if there is a change or an error.

An Electronic Copy costs very little compared to a printed Hard Copy.

An Electronic Copy, in the appropriate language, can be retrieved by anybody around the world in moments.

An Electronic Copy doesn't add to the shipping weight of a package.

I can download an electronic copy for detectors I don't even own and have a look through them.

I have PDF copies of almost all of my detectors on my cell phone. It is handy to have the manuals with me, in PDF form, when I am out in the field. It makes for an easy reference if I have a question.

I also have copies of Andy Sabisch's detector guides for a number of detectors, some of which I don't even own. The format and size of his newer books are conducive for me to make notes, highlight information I find important, and to put reference tabs on various sections of the book, almost like I was in detectorist school. They do not accompany me into the field though. Too big and too heavy to take with me and I'm afraid the rough handling and elements would eventually get the better of them.

Rich (Utah)

• Like 3

I hunt at the beach and do not like having the extra weight of my cell phone with me and my hands are usually covered with sand so having to refer to a pdf is not practical while learning a new detector. Oh well, progress, sort of.

• Like 1

Doesn’t sound like a paper manual will last long in that environment either.  At least with a PDF you could reprint the manual after the original becomes soggy and sandy or print selected pages smaller and suitable for laminating for rugged field use which solves the phone problem.

Seems like a professionally printed manual with access to the most up to date PDF version would be the best of both worlds with minimal expense.

Edit:  Upon further reflection, a laminated version of the quick start guide might be best for your purposes.

• Like 1