Prospecting For Processed Gold

In the late 70's and 80's I spent 12 years dredging gold. I had 6 different dredges, all the support equipment that goes with them, 2) 4x4's, 2 trail bikes, 2 quads, trailers, detectors etc. etc........................

Now we found a lot of gold, but never found the lost Dutchman,  and never did pay off the investment.
I now own several detectors and although I do nugget hunt on occasion, I find myself primarily a jewelry hunter.

I have in the last few years, found more gold in the parks and school yards around my house then I ever did in the gold fields. I can work every day, and do, and never get out of a 5 mile radius. I need no special equipment and only need to work 2 to 3 hours a day. 

True I dig a lot of trash, but if you work smart, you can cut that down immensely.  It's a lot less work then moving rock for a living.

And as Steve remarked, Gold is Gold.

post-356-0-28376400-1419102144_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's no different then reading a river or reading the terrain. 
Learning the lay of the land where you are working. 
This is something you have to learn on your own. 
This is some of the stuff I haven't scrapped. 
Not all is gold.
Lots to find when you learn how and where to look.

a6.jpg

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

• Like 3

thanks, plidn1...I dig more trash than anyone I know but the trash/gold ratio is not to my liking.

I would still like to know what you mean by "working smart"....what do you do that makes your method so effective for you?

I don't live any where near you and I am not interested in your location...

just your general methods....

fred

I will chime in at some point but caught up in chores at the moment. The best books on the subject are by Clive Clynick. Mostly about water hunting and some overlap in books, A good place to start however is this one:

The Gold Jewelry Hunter’s Handbook: Finding Lost Gold at Beach, Park and Shoreline Metal Detecting Sites at http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/

The "motherlode" of the jewelry you seek is human beings. They need to be engaged in an activity that will cause them to shed gold. Soccer is a classic and I am partial to people playing frisbee. The kind of people dictate the type of jewelry you are looking for. Mens rings typically fall into a different VDI range than womens rings. Chains are different yet. Learning to watch people, what they do, where they do it, and who they are - is step one. Step two would be to focus on digging the VDI ranges and learning the responses most likely to score depending on your best guesses from step one. That is hunting smart.

I run a balance of smart and brute strength "dig all non-ferrous" depending on my mood and the location.

Anyway, more later. Jewelry detecting is every bit as challenging as prospecting and something anyone can engage in.

gold-jewelry-hunters-handbook.jpg

• Like 1

On December 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM, fredmason said:

thanks, plidn1...I dig more trash than anyone I know but the trash/gold ratio is not to my liking.

I would still like to know what you mean by "working smart"....what do you do that makes your method so effective for you?

I don't live any where near you and I am not interested in your location...

just your general methods....

fred

Fred, I don't want to hi jack this thred. 

If you go to the whites forums and run a search for plidn1, I started a thred called 

"Virgen Parks Or State Of Mind". 

It is very interesting with a lot of information. It is about my learning to master my MXT and learn how to find jewelry.

You should get a kick out of it.

It is a very good read for newbes and old alike.

• Like 1

Hello plidn1,

Not hijacking - just a group effort at helping others while Mike is busy elsewhere. And please, post links! I started this forum because I got sick and tired of forums where adults have to play silly games like "Google this" instead of using the Internet the way it was intended. Here you go http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?63618-Virgin-Parks-Or-State-Of-Mind

Thanks for joining the forum!

• Like 2

I like the OP's style. He's on the right track with the mentality associating coin, jewelry, and relic hunting to nugget shooting. Both are similar in nature whether people realize it or not. Glad I have a TDI Pro. Maybe not the latest and greatest, but will definitely hang with the big boys when it comes to shooting for nuggets, jewelry, coins or relics.

People Are Always Asking.....................................

What is the best Detector To buy ? or Where can I find gold? or  How do you find so much gold all the time? 

It's very simple.

I hunt every day and I hunt in places where people have the opportunity to lose jewelry.

I have a good quality detector, that is gold sensitive, and is capable of giving me lots of valuable information on what is in the ground. I have learned to understand what it is telling me and have learned it inside and out. I use the right coil for the place and conditions I am working.

I use no discrimination and dig most everything that isn't iron.

The detector is only a tool. Knowing how and where to use it, it's strong points, capabilities, and it's short comings is the secret. 
Everyone thinks they own the best detector made. I make mine the best there is.

I just love it when I am told "The place is worked out". 
I have found more good stuff in worked out parks then any other place.

I also believe, with the exception of nitch detectors, that you use only one detector. That way you learn it's values and particular language. All detectors (and coils) are different with a different language and quirks of there own. 

By using only one, you don't get confused and when an odd situation comes at you, you can trust your machine and learn a new lesson. When you become one with your detector, when using it becomes second nature,  then you have a good one.

Every day, every hunting spot is different. Something as simple as weather can change the way a detector responds to a target let alone all the other factors involved. The only way to truly over come these challenges and be successful, is to really know your tool.

• Like 1