Prospecting For Processed Gold

Well,  the connection seems to be holding...so I'm going to keep posting :D

Staying with the inland locations, where do you find gold jewelry?

#1, I would say is any place where someone would take it off.   People take jewelry off for safe keeping, either so they won't lose it due to #2 below, or so that it doesn't get damaged while doing #2 below.  Ok...so they took it off.  Where did they put it?   How would it get lost if it was taken off on purpose for safe keeping.   Think about it.  What activities would cause you to take off a ring or chain?   Did you put it in your pocket?   What would cause it to fall out of your pocket.    Did you lay it by a landmark?  What would cause you to forget to retreive it?  

#2 is where some sort of activity takes it off.  This can be all sorts of activities.  Who is wearing the jewelry and where are they doing activities that would cause them to lose it.   Think about it.  If you didn't take off the ring, what activity would cause it to leave your finger?  If you didn't take off the chain, or bracelet, what activity would cause it to leave your neck or wrist?

You should be able to make a list for both #1 and #2. 

HH
Mike

One of the nicest things about the beach is the combined effect of sunscreen and cool water. Put on a little sunscreen, let the warm sun make your fingers a bit moist along with the oily sunscreen, then go play in the surf. Cooler water, shrinking fingers, mechanical action of the waves - another treasure deposited!

Another pet theory of mine is that some folks mark the end of a relationship by tossing the ring which marked it into the water as a gesture of their feelings - sad but useful.

Rick, tossing the ring in the water is right on.  I remember reading an article many years ago about this being done off some bridge in Reno.  If what I remember is really true, maybe Steve or Chris know about it.  If true, the area is probably off limits for detecting.  Maybe a night hunt is in order (just kidding)

After writing this, I need to do some research, got me wanting to know more.

Beach detecting can be great fun, but it is not without it's dangers. For us married guys one of the disadvantages of beach detecting is the way attractive young women keep coming up,and asking if you have found anything - hoping, I suppose - to be shown some nice bit of jewelry.

Not so much fun are the brats who toss pennies in your path!

Western/eastern Treasure mag had an article about someone that dredged just below that bridge in Reno...back in the early 80's if memory serves...I doubt you could get away with that now...The river should be ripe by now; or wait for a drought year and detect below the bridge....

Yes, the views on the beach can be distracting but always interesting.

fred

"Those are my favorites. Right now I'm enamored with the F75. I'd pay a premium to get a Cleansweep/Bigfoot style coil for my Fishers."

Ain't that the truth! Why is it so hard to get these coils?

For those who do not know these 3" x 18" coils are superb for covering large areas quickly and cherry picking targets. They are so good they are usually banned from organized treasure hunts. But they are only available for a few models and hard to find even for them. I have a Big Foot for my V3i. Or should I say I have a V3i for my Big Foot?

To tell the truth, the only reason I still use any Tesoro models is because of the Cleansweep coil.  

There is a man that will modify a H.O.T Cleansweep for the new Fisher Gold Bug Pro models but it doesn't work like a properly functioning coil should, although it would be fine for just nugget hunting in places where that size coil would be useful.   It drops the high conductors in Disc mode.  Works fine in All Metal, just no high conductors will respond in Disc mode.

I liked the Bigfoot but the surface foot print of the Bigfoot coil is too big for my liking.   You wouldn't think it would be so hard to reverse engineer a coil but evidently it is, or maybe they can but they can't get it V-rated.

One company tried to make a long 3" x 20" DD for the DFX, called a Big Dawg.   I didn't hear good reviews and of course Whites discontinued the DFX which killed the future of that coil.   I sent them messages asking them to make that size for the new Fisher/Tek models.   Nothing came of that and I'm not sure that company is still in business.

I think there is a Beach Hog out for the TDI.  4.5" x 22".   I thought about picking up one of these for my TDI but never did.   

Been after Dave and the gang at 1st Texas but they have no interest in what they term "specialty" coils.   But hey, they made that monster 15" so I still have hope that someday they'll come around.

HH

Mike

These is my recommended reading guides for inland jewelry hunting.....

DFX Gold Methods by Clive James Clynick

Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination  by Robert C. Brockett

The DFX Gold Methods is really THE manual for inland jewelry hunting.   His other books are good, but this one is the best.  Clive sent me a signed copy of the Jewelry Hunters Handbook after he got it finished, and while it is good, I still consider the DFX Gold Methods to be the real manual.  

The second one, Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination, really highlights what effect discrimination has.   This will also put into your mindset the usefulness of intelligent notching and focus.   Once you see that, you start looking at the equipment differently.   Its not about digging trash until you find gold, its about digging the right trash in the right areas until you find the gold. 

HH
Mike

• Like 1