600 Vs. 800 Differences - More Than Just A Gold Prospecting Mode

23 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

Keep in mind, that the 800 comes with BT Headphones AND WM08.

To do a better comparison / decision one would need to know the retail prices for those.. !

.. and of course if you need them..

Good points, I would look into BT headphones for sure.  These have good ratings for comfort

Over the ear APTX headphones

3 hours ago, TreasureGuy said:

I have sat back and read so much about both machines... I have no need for the top end frequencies, and have operated machines in the 600 frequencie range before and they have been great machines. To use all those great machine frequencies at once is what sold me the Multi IQ.. I have no need for Wireless headphones and I would never consider using the 800 full recovery speed settings as noted on certain Russian videos as you lose a lot of depth.. So it's the 600 for me..

I also thought I had no need for the higher frequencies on my Deus, not a gold prospector.  Until I purchased one of the Deus HF coils (14 - 58 kHz operating frequency) which made “hunted out” sites come alive again with both mid-conductor (brass, buttons, nickels, and of course gold) and, quite unexpectedly, high conductor (old silver coins) that were not being picked up by the LF coil frequencies (ie < 18 kHz) for some unexplained reason (one theory is that these targets were being masked by deep iron).  This is a phenomenon experienced by several users  of Deus HF coils in different geographic areas, so not a coincidence.  Sometimes, folks dismiss detector features because they are not interestested in the most common usage of the feature not realizing they may be locking themselves out of capabilities they didn’t even know existed. I personally am not willing to limit myself from something I don’t yet realize I could put to good use for want of $250 and that was the point of my OP.   If you don’t need to find keeper targets masked by deep iron or have the capability to select from two additional frequencies to counter site EMI, or any of the other additional flexibilities afforded by the additional settings of the 800, then I get it.  No need to spend the extra dough.  I am just not smart enough to know now that I will NEVER need these features.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 10:29 AM, relicmeister said:

I have a paid, pre ordered EQX 800 I'm waiting for, but I did consider getting a 600 before I paced my order. I decided I wanted the 20 KHz frequency and the full run of settings options. It wasn't worth it to me to save a couple hundred bucks and possibly regret the  selection down the road. 

we have 7 pre-ordered here just for the same reason..... :-)

• Like 5

On 1/5/2018 at 5:47 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I also thought I had no need for the higher frequencies on my Deus, not a gold prospector.  Until I purchased one of the Deus HF coils (14 - 58 kHz operating frequency) which made “hunted out” sites come alive again with both mid-conductor (brass, buttons, nickels, and of course gold) and, quite unexpectedly, high conductor (old silver coins) that were not being picked up by the LF coil frequencies (ie < 18 kHz) for some unexplained reason (one theory is that these targets were being masked by deep iron).  This is a phenomenon experienced by several users  of Deus HF coils in different geographic areas, so not a coincidence.  Sometimes, folks dismiss detector features because they are not interestested in the most common usage of the feature not realizing they may be locking themselves out of capabilities they didn’t even know existed. I personally am not willing to limit myself from something I don’t yet realize I could put to good use for want of $250 and that was the point of my OP.   If you don’t need to find keeper targets masked by deep iron or have the capability to select from two additional frequencies to counter site EMI, or any of the other additional flexibilities afforded by the additional settings of the 800, then I get it.  No need to spend the extra dough.  I am just not smart enough to know now that I will NEVER need these features.

There is a very important thought process at work here. Nobody, but nobody, not me, not the other testers, not even Minelab, knows exactly just what the Equinox is capable of and what uses people will find for the various modes and frequencies. To a large degree there is a bit of a "throw in the kitchen sink" thing at work here. Then turn it loose in the wild and see what everyone does with it. Collect feedback and data, and incorporate into later models down the road.

Why include single frequencies? Good question. The genuine answer - why not? They can do it so they did. But it will mostly just be a way to show people how great Multi-IQ is and how Minelab's statements regarding single frequency really do have a basis in reality. So far for me the single frequency modes are mostly just a fallback position for extreme EMI mitigation and a way to tune the machine down, not up.

But that is not to say that tens of thousands of users worldwide experimenting with all these modes and frequency options will not discover uses or oddball applications that nobody anticipated. I never knew I would end up using my cell phone more as a GPS than as a phone until I got it and used it. Equinox is the same thing. It really is new, and figuring out just exactly what it does in the real world and how best to apply it for different uses is going to be a huge part of the fun here once the machines hit the street.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Va Beach Max said:

we have 7 pre-ordered here just for the same reason..... :-)

Welcome aboard Max. 

• Like 1

Both have the same Beach Mode, but the fact is that A. Beach Mode works only in multifrequency and B. Nobody has any idea how Minelab mixes and matches different frequencies in different modes other than that Beach Mode multifrequency is not the same as Park Mode multifrequency for instance. So while the Beach Mode is identical on the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800, until Minelab clears all this up it is all speculation as to what Beach Mode is doing different than say, Field Mode.

Put another way, Field Mode multifrequency will not work in saltwater but Beach Mode multifrequency will. What we are seeing is a true digital program based detector where different modes are for all intents and purposes different metal detectors.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cabo Chris said:

What?  Both have the same beach mode.  

Yep. Beach mode uses MultiIQ only and as been stated earlier in the thread, both the 600 and 800 use all 5 frequencies in MultiIQ including 20 and 40 khz, even though the 600 can't select them in individual frequency mode.

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There is a very important thought process at work here. Nobody, but nobody, not me, not the other testers, not even Minelab, knows exactly just what the Equinox is capable of and what uses people will find for the various modes and frequencies. To a large degree there is a bit of a "throw in the kitchen sink" thing at work here. Then turn it loose in the wild and see what everyone does with it. Collect feedback and data, and incorporate into later models down the road.

Why include single frequencies? Good question. The genuine answer - why not? They can do it so they did. But it will mostly just be a way to show people how great Multi-IQ is and how Minelab's statements regarding single frequency really do have a basis in reality. So far for me the single frequency modes are mostly just a fallback position for extreme EMI mitigation.

But that is not to say that tens of thousands of users worldwide experimenting with all these modes and frequency options will not discover uses or oddball applications that nobody anticipated. I never knew I would end up using my cell phone more as a GPS than as a phone until I got it and used it. Equinox is the same thing. It really is new, and figuring out just exactly what it does in the real world and how best to apply it for different uses is going to be a huge part of the fun here once the machines hit the street.

My thoughts exactly.  I was one of the original testers of the Eurotek Pro and can say I had a blast experimenting/testing to see what I could find wrong and what functions performed according to what the engineers wanted.  It might be a low cost machine, but performs extremely well in heavy iron sites.  To me, the fun of learning a new machine is what matters.  Then comes the surprise find I didn't see coming.

Life is short and you won't go around but once.  Have fun....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Both have the same Beach Mode, but the fact is that A. Beach Mode works only in multifrequency and B. Nobody has any idea how Minelab mixes and matches different frequencies in different modes other than that Beach Mode multifrequency is not the same as Park Mode multifrequency for instance. So while the Beach Mode is identical on the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800, until Minelab clears all this up it is all speculation as to what Beach Mode is doing different than say, Field Mode.

Put another way, Field Mode multifrequency will not work in saltwater but Beach Mode multifrequency will. What we are seeing is a true digital program based detector where different modes are for all intents and purposes different metal detectors.

You know Steve I have wondered the same thing about the V3i and the Deus and the different programs.  Even though each program can be modified, I always wondered if hidden in the back ground were some sort of settings/internal adjustments I didn't know about.  Being a programmer from the late 90's I can see a line or two of code performing special functions for a special feature.  That is the internal secrets we may never be aware of.  But that's okay, if it works great.