600 Vs. 800 Differences - More Than Just A Gold Prospecting Mode

Hello,

Thanks for the help in this thread.

I also sent before and asked Minelab about the differences between 600 and 800. I Have compiled the questions and answers below, I got three answers from three different persons. In case anyone else here is interested in the information.

Answer 1:

"1.     "What is the difference between Equinox 600 and Equinox 800? (Beside the gold mode.)"

Here are the Differences:

EQX 800 has 4modes and  EQX 600 has 3modes each modes has 2 Customs Detect Profiles so EQX800 has 8 Customs Profile and EQX 600 has 6 Custom Profiles.

In Frequency Operations, EQX 800 has Multi,5,10,15,20,40khz while the EQX 600 has Multi,5,10,15khz only.

2.    "What do I miss if I buy 600 instead of 800 in practice? Does the 800 find things farther down the ground or the like? Or are they equal in that regard?"

The EQX 800 here is the best all-around detectors, but if you like only Coin and treasure (beach detecting) Then EQX 600 does not have any big difference on the performance use. On EQX 600 will not get extra features and some accessories like AptX (low latency) Wireless Headphones and WM 08 on EQX 800, In EQX-600 will get normal non-wireless headphones without the WM 08.

3.   "Is the 800 better suited for archeology than 600? If so, why?"

Not really have big difference on this purpose, finding large target with the use of the larger coils.

4.   "I have heard the 600 has 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz and the 800 also has 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, but also has 20kHz, 40kHz. I have also heard that in Multi-IQ the 600 can also use 20kHz, 40kHz, but only the 800 can use 20 and 40 khz in individual frequency mode. Is this true? (Yes it is True)+Multi."

Both of the device has Multi IQ (simultaneous frequencies) according to their range frequency levels available. Both of them has manual frequencies operation running single frequency base on their range. The higher frequency 20kHz and 40kHz suites for Gold prospecting to find small golds on high mineralise ground, that also makes the machine stable on those difficult ground conditions.

5.   "If so, what are the benefits of this in practice, can you give an example? When is it necessary to use them individually? And what is the difference and advantage in practice using 20 and 40 khz in individual frequency mode (800), instead of using them all in MultiIQ (600 and 800)?"

The Difference is that EQX 800 has more features to use find smaller target and better sensitivity when come to Gold Prospecting. But on Coin and treasure performance they can perform almost the same. If you’re looking on specific target then run on manual frequency and if your new on that area and want to cover all the target on more stable performance then run on Auto or Multi IQ (simultaneous frequency).

Hope that I answered all your questions.

To know about more detailed specifications of this two devices you can visit our website. https://www.minelab.com/

With all your questions, I’m sure you have  the ideas on this matter. "

Answer 2:

"There are a number of differences between the Equinox 800 and the Equinox 600.

The Equinox 800 comes with the ML80 Bluetooth LL headphones, the Equinox 600 comes with wired headphones. The Equinox 600 does have wireless capability if you have your own Bluetooth headphones but they must be at least Bluetooth V4.2 or higher to work with the detector.

The Equinox 800 has a number of advanced settings that the Equinox 600 does not have, depending on your level of expertise will depend on if this is relevant to your detecting style or not.

These advanced settings can be read in detail in the instruction manual (attached to this email) on pages 38, 43, 45, 47, 48, 50 & 52.

The depth ability of the Equinox 800 and the Equinox 600 will be the same if they have been setup the same. If you are working in heavily mineralised soils with iron ore in them then the gold prospecting mode on the Equinox 800 will give you more depth than the Field mode on the Equinox 600. This will depend on the soil you are trying to detect in though.

In regards to detecting for archaeology this will depend on the soil type. If the soil isn’t full of iron ore then either detector will suit purpose.

Yes it is true the Equinox 600 has 3 manual frequencies 5, 10 & 15kHz. The Equinox 800 has 5 manual frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40kHz.

The Multi-IQ signal is the same in each detector."

My question: Thank you very much for the information.

And the Multi-IQ signal is it 5-40khz on both the 600 and the 800?

Answer: "The exact frequencies that are transmitted in the Multi-IQ setting have not been released to us from our engineering team to protect the company IP.

We can tell you that they are a mixture of the manual frequencies."

Answer 3:

"Please see my responses to your questions below.

1. "What is the difference between Equinox 600 and Equinox 800? (Beside the gold mode.)"

There are both function and accessory differences between both units. On the accessory side BlueTooth Headphones and the WM08 (which allows you to pair via WiStream with detector, cutting latency down to 19 milliseconds) come in the 800 box and just wired headphones in the 600. On the function side the EQ800 can run the additional 20khz & 40khz single frequencies which the 600 does not. The 800 has 1-8 recovery speed options, vs. 600 with 1-3.  The 800 also has more customizable settings if you require them.

2. " What do I miss if I buy 600 instead of 800 in practice? Does the 800 find things farther down the ground or the like? Or are they equal in that regard?"

The hardware of the Equinox is the same in both the 800 and 600. If using multi frequency on Beach, park, and field mode they will operate the same.  There are some setting changes you can make on the 800, such as recovery speed, that will allow to go somewhat deeper at the lower number, and will give you more separation on the higher. The additional customizable settings also allow you to set up a search profile for a particular site that you may be spending a long period of time on.

3. "Is the 800 better suited for archaeology than 600? If so, why?"

Both would be suitable.

4. "I have heard the 600 has 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz and the 800 also has 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, but also has 20kHz, 40kHz. I have also heard that in Multi-IQ the 600 can also use 20kHz, 40kHz, but only the 800 can use 20 and 40 khz in individual frequency mode. Is this true?"

You can run the 20/40khz, in single mode, only on the 800 and not the 600.  In either unit, when in Multi Frequency, the frequencies being run are dependent on the mode you have selected, and not the single frequencies.  That is one of the most important advantages of Multi IQ, the detector is not limited only to the frequencies that can be run individually, but the machine adjusts the frequencies based on the mode.

https://www.minelab.com/multi-iq

5. "If so, what are the benefits of this in practice, can you give an example? When is it necessary to use them individually? And what is the difference and advantage in practice using 20 and 40 khz in individual frequency mode (800), instead of using them all in MultiIQ (600 and 800)?"

I always detect in Multi IQ and very little in the individual frequencies. The clear advantage of Multi IQ over other detectors is that it allows you a search range that single frequency detectors simply do not. For example where I am located here in Ireland I do a lot of beach detecting. No other detector gives me the ability to so seamlessly move from wet sand to dry sand while detecting … again the magic of Multi IQ.  Equinox was designed to run in Multi Frequency mode the vast majority of the time. We however wanted to offer the end user the chance to switch to single frequency if they felt they needed it as an option. Any end user buying an EQUINOX for the first time will be coming from a single frequency world so they will be in a position from the outset to compare both options.

Do you know anybody that is using an EQUINOX. If they have switched from a different model then I am sure they will be able to also let you know what their user experience has been like.

I hope this also helps you with your decision."

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hello said:

I also sent before and asked Minelab about the differences between 600 and 800. I Have compiled the questions and answers below, I got three answers from three different persons. In case anyone else here is interested in the information.

Thanks for compiling these and posting them for our use/interest.  IMO, the person who gave the #3 answers has best confirmed what outsiders (posters here on detectorprospector.com -- not connected with Minelab) have deterimined independently.  If there seems to be a conlict between the three, go with #3's answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for compiling these and posting them for our use/interest.  IMO, the person who gave the #3 answers has best confirmed what outsiders (posters here on detectorprospector.com -- not connected with Minelab) have deterimined independently.  If there seems to be a conlict between the three, go with #3's answers.

Thank you too. Good to know about answer 3.