600 Vs. 800 Differences - More Than Just A Gold Prospecting Mode

14 hours ago, Hello said:

Thanks Jeff. Yes that makes sense, gold mode for gold prospector.

So you are using the gold modes on the 800 for relic hunting too?  Is the gold modes best for hunting relics? And only gold modes on the 800 as I understand it.

The modes are just names. You can find reasons to use any mode for just about any type of detecting. Yes, “Gold Modes” are 800 only, can be used for coin, jewelry, relics... anything you want. It is a VCO audio mode, where the audio pitch and volume is tied directly to the target strength, not a “Gold Mode.”

• Like 4

For relic hunting I use the mode that suits the ground best. I mostly relic hunt in the Park and Field modes. Occasionally I will use the Gold modes if there are some really small targets that I am interested in or if the ground is extremely mineralized. I usually use Field 1 or Field 2 however for relics and will hunt in 1 or 2 tones if I get tired of hear 50 tones.

• Like 2

I've been on both sides of that fence:  bought a Fisher Gold Bug Pro and wished I had gone with the (slightly) higher end sub-model, the F19.  (This was back when the F19 cost more than the GB Pro.)  Bought the top-of-the-hill Fisher F75 Ltd (black) and wish I had saved $400 and gotten the Teknetics Patriot sub-model.  (The Ltd sub-model did come with a second coil, the 5 inch, so really a difference of about $250 since I'm sure I would have added a smaller coil.)

But finally Goldilocks arrived when I got the Minelab Equinox 800.  The tone adjustments alone (in 5 tone mode) were worth the $250 difference (not in return-on-investment but just the pleasure of operation it has brought me).  Gold mode (for when I can get out West) saved me from having to buy a specialty high kHz gold detector ($650 and up for new models).  Actually Steve H. has said from the beginning that the 600 is good at finding small gold, but it's nice to have the proportional audio that's more common with dedicated gold detectors.  Finally, unlike some, I can't do without the WM08 proprietary 'wireless' option that lets me operate with my favorite headphones and earbuds.  I even picked up another one 'used' on Ebay, for a backup.

Plenty of people are happy with the 600 sub-model, and some (like Jeff McClendon) enjoy both.  Really does come down to personal preference, as usual in this pasttime.

I suspect you'll enjoy yours.

• Like 4

Another difference between the the 800 and the 600 is in their value on the secondary market. A person will recoup most if not all, the price difference when they go to sell the 800. The 800 is also the most desirable of the two and will have more people interested in purchasing it. So, I think anyone buying new will get the $200+ difference back when they sell it. 

• Like 2

When it comes to both the 600 and the 800 then you have to buy an external usb charger for the built-in battery it is not included, right? What kind of usb charger, do you guys use?

18 minutes ago, Hello said:

When it comes to both the 600 and the 800 then you have to buy an external usb charger for the built-in battery it is not included, right? What kind of usb charger, do you guys use?

I did a google search with the following entry:  detectorprospector.com Equinox charger

That produced half a dozen threads where this subject has been discussed.  People here are quite generous with their help, but if you can do some of the work yourself, everyone is better off.  You could then even create a new post summarizing what you've learned, making it easier for future researchers.

This site is truly a cooperative which works best when everyone pitches in.

• Like 1

Any quality 1 -2A charger will work. I been using a 2A phone charger almost every week for more than two years and my Nox shows no indication that the battery is having any problems. A 1A charger will work but it takes twice as long to charge. Ebay has some nice 2A chargers that have three USB ports with a lighted display showing Volts and Amps with an automatic shutdown when charged. About $6.00.  

• Like 1

Pretty much everything said. I am still happy I've choosen the 800 over the 600. The adjustable tonebreaks, userprofile and WM08 module worth it + you get a bt headphone.

Normally I never use the gold mode, but recently I've obused it and I've really been impressed..:

While repairing my children's bikes, I've lost a little 2mm ball from the steering ball-bearing. Park, Field.. no chance, too many signals on the doorway. I then tried gold mode, lowered the sense to about 12-13 - after one minute I've found that small ball using the 15" coil! I found it 4m away from where I dropped it. You could literarily read the ground and that little ball popped out strong enough to wake my sense. After this experience, it's probably my go-to mode for super fresh drops like lost jewelry in the garden for example...

• Like 1