New Year Claims Numbers

As they do twice a month Land Matters updated their free Mining Claims Maps. That claims map information is current as of January 1st.

The mining year is now four months along. In the last 4 months there were 6,479 mining claims closed and 14,854 new claims located as of January 1, 2018.

That's a net gain of 8,375 new mining claims in the first third of the 2018 mining year!

As of January 1, 2018 there were 391,907 active mining claims in the BLM database.

That's a big number but it represents less than 1% of all the public lands.

At present there isn't a way to do that AU_Solitude. The USGS stopped hosting that information.

I have the data for all those historic claims in my company database. Land Matters would like to provide something similar to the old USGS historic mining claims info pages but with more detail. From what I understand it's one of the most requested features at Land Matters. Seems a lot of folks were studying those old claims. That may be why the USGS removed the info. Like the geocommunicator functions and the LR2000 it just doesn't fit the new Interior Department agenda.

U.S. Department of the Interior
Protecting America's Great Outdoors and Powering Our Future

I guess if it's not protecting the outdoors or it's not in the future the Interior Department isn't going to continue supporting it?

The problem is that the data for historic claims is huge. Server space costs money and development takes time. At present Land Matters is still trying to fund the mining claims program they already provide. With enough money and time the historic mining claims and much more is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1