Different Kind Of Hunting

I know, this doesnt fit a topic here...find a bank near you that still has a coin counter...inquire as to when they empty their half dollar bags.  Some banks empty them each month.  Some empty them only when full, which is fairly rare.  The coin counters don't reject halves for weight, which means the 40% and 90% silvers will be mixed with regulars.  MOST banks will also not mind selling the full bag to a customer, since it costs the bank nothing to do so, and costs them to send the bags to a coin servicer.  If you get a bag of halves with silver, buy the other bags emptied at that time.

A few weeks back I got pretty lucky on the halves, so bought a quarters and a dimes bag...expensive, but this time worked out nicely.

Ground here is frozen solid...have to do something !!

HH

20171222_170252.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How many quarters (of all compositions) did you get in order to reap this size reward?  I'm guessing someone in the dark (nice way of putting it?) turned in grandma's stash.  Good for you to take advantage of that.

I bought $1,000 worth of halves about 10 years ago from the bank. I got about 8 silvers out of them, not worth the effort that time for me. Couple of weeks ago my wife went to the bank and noticed some halves in the teller's drawer and asked if she could have them. $15.00 worth netted seven 90% silver Kennedy's and a 1942 Walking Liberty.  Score!

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

How many quarters (of all compositions) did you get in order to reap this size reward?  I'm guessing someone in the dark (nice way of putting it?) turned in grandma's stash.  Good for you to take advantage of that.

a bag of quarters is 500.00 here.  had 104 silver qtrs, this time.  It was actually the grandma that ran them through, this time.  I had a sad false alarm one trip.  The teller said, HEY, I been waitin for you.  I have 1100 silver dollars I have to get rid of.....then showed me.

They were Eisenhowers....oh well.

• Sad 1

I had a friend who liked to find old banks in small, obscure towns where he would get bags of half dollars, and he told me he did very well at it. When I was younger I used to do it with dimes but that was a long time ago. Great idea, and possibly more productive than metal detecting for silver these days!

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Great idea, and possibly more productive than metal detecting for silver these days!

Makes me wonder why the bank tellers aren't more observant.  But then I (like many of you) grew up in the 90% silver days and saw the transition from that to clad, the stripping of silver from circulation (which I participated in), and not long after, the disappearance of Wheat pennies.  I guess  a couple generations removed now, they just have no clue what a silver coin's value is let alone how to distinguish it from clad.