Survey: Whats Your Main Detecting Environment

Daniel TN,

Couldn't agree more my thoughts on the ctx it's been my goto for homesite in milder soil my beach machine when I goto the cost. In freshwater I use at pro. So, like you I think it's time to move on from the ctx while we can without a huge loss.   I truly think multi iq will prove to be as good as  fbs in saltwater. I think it is the future for minelab vlf, BBS and fbs have reached thier maximum capability. The ctx maxed out fbs with it's fbs2.  I truly believe minelab had to make something new to beat out the at series and Deus lines but I believe it had to be able to also beat out the safari Xterra Etrac in terms of performance. If it's not better then minelabs own older tech it's dead in the water. Now does the ctx have more bells and whistles sure but are they worth the extreme extra cost?  I think knowing all this minelab wanted  a true all terrian muti use machine. To accomplish that requires it to work in all soils and perform better then the rest otherwise it's a flop. Minelab spent big money developing this it will be winner. Atleast 2 tester have made comments of the soil they hunt in being mineralized and that the performance is better.  One even says the nox will be his first out and he is ctx guy. So, I am very optimistic that this will be a game changer.

• Like 2

The new Equinox has so many bases covered, it will be hard not to want to swing it at all.

Tailing/Placer piles for gold nuggets.

Inland freshwater swimming holes for old silver coins and gold jewelry.

Easy, compact travel on the plane to Saltwater beaches  on the coastal regions.

Urban hunting parks/schools

Old coin/artifact recover in areas with more trash than the majority of people used to want to detect. Minelab camps, Railroad sites, military posts.

Ancient Artifacts in the fields of UK.

Just too dang many options really and the fact that 1 detector could be the best for the majority of my hunts...is astonishing.

During the vast majority of my personal field testing dreams, it was the true winner each time. :ph34r:Oh boy, I can't wait to go to bed for another.

• Like 7

I detect more on salt water beaches in California than anywhere.  This is done with the 3030 and the SE Pro.  Next comes nugget shooting with the 7000 and the 5000 before it.

At the present time we are sanded in because of lack of storms.  I have to go deep in order to find my normal targets.  Even those are hard to find right now.  I'll have to punch deep and go back to the dry sands with the 800.  I hope it can handle the EMI I have in some areas better than the CTX.

You guys have given me some good things to think about when looking in other areas.

Mitchel

• Like 4

I only hunt the beach and shallow water since I love that environment. So here’s hoping that the Equinox will perform in the surf. I had a dream the other night that my new Equinox kept morphing into a Go-Find. I’d look down at the coil and it had turned into a rectangle. :laugh:

• Haha 3

I find that at 55 there is no need to bend over and go to the ground to pull silver coins out when I can stand and pull gold off the beach. I have had a sovereign since the XS. Is there any machine really better than the GT in wet salt. NO.

I am not getting NOX yet, mainly because I am already on my 4 month detecting sabbatical. Will be listening closely and I think there is one member here that knows the BBS tech. well and between him and his group I will know soon enough. 

Dave 

• Like 1

From the time i entered the hobby in 2003 to 2006 i just went to any farm or dig i could . In 2006 i started to join Metal Detecting clubs and went to quite a lot of digs but i could not keep up the expense and other issues stopped me doing digs .I left 1 club and kept the other for when i could get out which is rare right now. 

In 2005 i started a little beach detecting and in 2006 started to find Gold rings , i did digs and beach detecting on and off till 2010 then went all out beach detecting from there . 

Over the years i have spent a lot on the hobby and beach detecting has helped pay for the hobby . Over 60 Gold rings and Gold chain and hundreds of Silver rings and chains along with 5 figures of coinage has eased the costs .

As soon as i can i will get out to digs again but i do have to admit the beach has me hooked . I dont find as much on land though i have had 1 Celtic Gold / Silver and Bronze coins , some Silver and Bronze Roman and around 30 Hammered coins amongst other things . Beaches do attract my attention more these days because of being close by . 

• Like 6

I am eagerly awaiting the collection or delivery of my pre-ordered Equinox and I will be putting to use here in the UK on one of my permissions which is an estate owned by a sitting member of the "House Of Lords" it is a massive estate covering 17,500 acres and myself and two deceased detecting mates gained sole detecting permission some twenty years ago from His Lordship and on this land there crosses two Roman roads, two Roman Villas, a Roman Settlement, a Bronze Age Enclosures & Tumuli , an Anglo Saxon burial site, a site of Saxon habitation and the site of a DMV (Deserted Medieval Village).

Over the years I have used many different makes of metal detectors on this permission and have come about thousands of both relic and coin finds from the Celtic, Roman, Saxon & Medieval periods and many of these finds have been treasure trove and displayed in the British Museum in London and it is this permission where I am looking forward to putting the Equinox to good use.

Good Hunting

Randy Dee     UK

• Like 9