Nokta Scores Spectacular Gold Specimen

I held off on posting about this one for a bit while I got around to some unfinished business. Since my move from Alaska I have been slow to get another safe deposit box set up. I have always had one for my gold and other important valuables. The problem with posting about this stuff on the internet is it can attract the wrong kind of attention. This is something I would encourage everyone to think about. Now that all my gold and other goodies are residing at Wells Fargo I feel a little more free to post about this.

Chris Ralph and I were prospecting in Northern California not too long ago. I was running the Nokta FORS Gold and concentrating on some areas littered with square nails, cable bits, rusted cans, and other ferrous junk. There were places the Nokta running in dual tone DI2 mode sounded like a machine gun from ferrous low tones. I would go along with the detector going "putt - putt - putt - putt - putt - beep - putt" and on hearing that beep, stop to dig a bullet or some other non-ferrous item.

The weather was a bit wet but not unpleasant; kind of brings the forest smells out and makes for softer walking. I was afraid we were going to get rained out but it keep just on the edge of really starting up. There was not much sign of detecting, no doubt due to all the trash. Chris was off hitting some bedrock with his detector while I wandered around in the trees and duff overlying the old tailing materials.

There was a bit of a mound around the base of a tree and I swept around it getting ferrous tones, when all of the sudden I get a strong non-ferrous beep. I looked down at the target id displayed on the end of the FORS Gold handle and it was showing 82. I thought "That's odd, a coin." I was still not tuned in one what the numbers meant exactly on the Nokta but on a typical 1-100 scale an 82 would be something like a penny or a dime. I have yet to find a really decent old coin since moving south, so I thought I was maybe going to dig some nice silver.

I gave a couple digs and was surprised to see nothing pop up. Hmmm... must be bigger, deeper. So I open the hole up and dig deeper, and this dirty gray lump pops out of the ground.

2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca_d.jpg

My exact thought "you have got to be kidding me!" It was a filthy lump but I knew instantly it was gold. I could not believe my good fortune. I got out my water bottle and washed it off a bit and saw gold and large chunks of white quartz - I had found something really special. After cleaning it ended up as 1.83 ounces of stunning gold and quartz that would do a museum proud. Just a really spectacular specimen, the best I have ever found. I won't claim that only the Nokta would have found it because any good detector would have. Yet I do think this is a case where a good discriminating VLF detector proved to be of benefit in approaching an area that might cause most pulse induction operators to wander off in another direction.

I thought this post would be a fine way to wrap up my nugget detecting finds for 2014 in anticipation of the New Year. I want to offer special thanks to Chris Ralph for being my guide and mentor while I learn my way around the Lower 48. I literally could not have done this without him. Thanks Chris! I also wish each and every one of you a fantastic nugget laden 2015. Happy Hunting!

2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca_c.jpg

2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca_b.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 9

WOW- Fantastic Piece and as stated Museum Quality for sure!!

"Are you kidding me?" seems to be a pretty popular response as my buddy says that a lot when finding a really cool find!!

My responses tend to be a little more beep worthy!! :)

Great pictures as well!!

Congrats!!

Ron

Hi Guys,

Thanks. My luck was off in Alaska but the Lower 48 made up for it. Much as I would like to attribute it to skill it is amazing how much of this boils down to whether I turn right instead of left.

I have been working on trying to improve my gold photos this year. Flash with black background is working as well as is natural light against a stainless steel background. Here is another slightly different shot.

60031912-E11D-4A3D-A550-39DEC6705AE6.jpeg

• Like 1

That is a nice piece of gold Steve, what a way to top off 2014. Just goes to show, getting out of your chair and leaving your computer is the first step in giving yourself the opportunity of getting your coil over a fantastic piece like this, or at the very least the chance of making that left right decision.  :wub:

JP

Hi JP,

There is a lot to be said for just putting in the time. And now you know why I have been showing increased interest in VLF detectors and how they handle the really trashy locations in the goldfields. We can choose depth, or we can choose discrimination. Maybe someday we will get both in one box, but it may well be too late by the time it happens.

• Like 2