I Almost Threw This Away

I was at an old site on the side of a hill this week where some of the first oil wells in Ventura county were (some still are running). This has been an awesome site to hunt over the years as its rewarded me with silver and some awesome relics. I dug this during the hunt and at first was going to just leave it as the trash at this site is immense but for whatever reason I stuck it in my bag and continued on. Last night i was bored and i remembered I hadn't taken it out and cleaned it so I did and to my surprise what I thought was junk evidently has some value. As for what it is I googled it and it's part of the brake assembly on an Indian bicycle circa 1903-1904. It attaches to the hub of the wheel as part of brake assembly. I'm not a big relic hunter but I guess I should start paying a little closer attention. 

Skate

IMG_0871.jpg

• Like 7

I'll even add something more.  Years ago I found a round ball of metal a little larger than a golf ball.  The item was pure white and not knowing what it was at the time I pitched it in my relic pile on my back porch.  A few years later I was rummaging through the bucket of metal and came across the ball.  Then suddenly I realized it was a civil war grape shot.  Remember seeing the same ball in a local museum.  Now that created a very big issue with me because I can't remember where I dug it from.  I've spent quite a bit of time pondering on where, but to this day I don't have a clue.  I might add, I've always kept a journal of my finds, location and date, but for some reason I failed to record that find.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1