Can I Be Critical Of The Equinox Here?

• 5 weeks later...

First let me say that I do not hunt salt water or in mineralized ground, I hunt in fairly non-mineralized trashy parks. Second I only have a total of 12.75 hours on my 800. I also have been detecting for 15 years and I know a little about adjusting a detector.

In my sites I find the 800 to almost be a dig everything machine, easily matched by most any other mid level machine. In a park infested with aluminum trash it is (so far) impossible to separate trash from targets that have similar low to mid range VDI numbers - the VDI resolution of the 800 is just not fine enough and the tone "voice" does not return enough nuance. I have tried about every variation of settings and detecting technique the machine and I are capable of. With my other two high level machines separation can be done frequently (not always) either by VDI or tone quality but of course I paid  for that ability with purchase price. I will say that when set up properly the 800 is a deep machine rivaling my CTX in my mild soil.

However, I have begun experimenting with Gold 1 and there just might be a solution there.

But as everyone knows, the 600/800 machines have other advantages. I'm just not located in a place where I can take advantage of them.

You need to be lisening a little closer to the tones because the nuances are there, it took me until about the 50 hour point for it to click.  Similar to what I experienced for Deus, perhaps even less.  The light metal and/or irregular targets such as aluminum slaw or screw caps sound more hollow or distorted in tone vs. coin targets of similar vdi and tone pitch.  Intact pull tabs are hardest to differentiate.  When this finally clicks in, trashy sites are actually fun to hunt in because the coin targets really jump out at you from amongst the dull sounding light metal trash targets.

I would have given a review similar to yours if I felt I had hit the wall with the machine at the 15 hour point. But  I knew from Deus experience that I needed to keep plugging away to start hearing the tonal nuances and to continue to dig it all to figure out what those nuances were telling me. 

Culminated in being able to tell the difference between aluminum blobs and a CW breast plate and I didn't have to dig every aluminum blob (field debris from a tractor engine explosion and fire) to know when I was swinging over one.

Don't give up on it yet but if it doesn't click by 100 hours, then Equinox may not be your cup of tea with the lower resolution VDI.  Glad you are trying to listen for those tone nuances, keep trying as they are there, believe me.

OK, here is a sound analysis of an air test of a nickel and a square tab (the blue screen at the lower part of the image).  Both were swiped at the same speed and same distance from the coil. You tell me which is which. Not trying to argue here, just demonstrating.

Also watch (and listen) to this:  Same soil as mine. Just talking about sound here, not VDI jumping.

Screenshot_20180424-085509.thumb.png.3bb032c16f16dea7478ac6c0b4586dcd.png

Can’t do it on a single swing. Identifying a square tab takes multiple swings rotating around it to get an audio handle on the fact you are dealing with a square edged rectangular object versus a round object. Best done at higher recovery speeds in 50 tones. Even then some will trick you.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Can’t do it on a single swing. Identifying a square tab takes multiple swings rotating around it to get an audio handle on the fact you are dealing with a square edged rectangular object versus a round object. Best done at higher recovery speeds in 50 tones. Even then some will trick you.

Correct as usual, here is the 5adf58d2751fe_Screenshot_20180424-1115231.thumb.png.8ab7f4598ece8ab11b977919e3624163.pngsquare tab at 4 directions around coil: (800)