Some Fall Relics

Been a while since I posted anything. I've been detecting only a little as I've been busy doing things with my property. When my buddy Merton aka "The Deus Man" says he going to be in the area I usually drop what I'm doing so we can go find some treasure. It's always fun hunting with Merton.... competing for the best finds...Merton loves to "rub it in" when he's winning and this trip there was a lot of that going on. Below are several finds from 2-3 different places. Merton scored the only coins and the nice eagle button. His Deus with the HF ellipitcal was an eye opener as he scored the German silver dime in a nail infested  area I had previously been over with my Deus and CTX. Any way looking forward to my next hunt Merton so come back! :smile:

strick 

20170827_104959.thumb.jpg.37d29fa6d6020f9a946408eeccacd610.jpg 

20171009_172027.jpg

20171009_172407.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice finds!  Thanks for sharing.  I do have a couple questions:

1) Does the Standing Liberty Quarter have a mintmark?  S?

2) Do you know what is in the jar?  I'm (wildly) guessing it's salt for curing meat.

3) In the 3rd picture there appears to be a porcelain drawer knob with a floral decoration.  Is that right?  (Not that these are valuable, but I find them interesting.)

4) In the 3rd photo there appear to be a couple brass containers (one flattened).  Have you figured out what those are for?

I especially like the military button (looks 19th century) and the "In Old Kentucky" watch fob.  Have you figured out what that spline shafted key-like object is for?  (In both the top photo and 3rd photo, cleaned up in the latter)

Finally, were the non-metallic items just sitting on top of the ground or were they a byproduct of the holes you dug from actual signals?

• Like 1

Merton has the quarter but I believe it's not worth much as he already checked and it's very worn. The Jar had some powdery substance and what looked like herbs of some sort but it was defiantly not salt.  I was too chicken to open it so it got tossed. Everything in Pic #1 was found using a sifter at an old burned down building. The porcelain thing in the 3rd pic was kinda cool it's a beer bottle stop and it has a late 1800's patent mark on it. It's a cool little item that just popped out of the dirt while I was digging a target. The old Kentucky watch fob I drove my pick through which ruined my day as it was the only cool thing I found that day. I made it worse trying to fix it so I bought one just like it on eBay for $20 lol. The Key with spline I believe might be to a light or lantern I was told by someone. Once in a while something will pop out while digging targets that is non metallic. Found lots of cool bottles etc like that but the sifter is the way to go for those. Thanks for the great questions!

strick  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, strick said:

The porcelain thing in the 3rd pic was kinda cool it's a beer bottle stop and it has a late 1800's patent mark on it. It's a cool little item that just popped out of the dirt while I was digging a target.

That's even better than what I thought.  Extra good is the patent date, to help figuring out the age of the drops.

• Like 1

We had some good times relic hunting lately. I won't be back until the desert starts heating up. I am having a blast down here in the nice weather.

• Like 1

Hey Strick,

The porcelain tube in the first picture was used for retrofitting 19th century homes for electrical wiring in the early 1900s. The tube was used as conduit where the wiring passed through wood beams. This wiring technique was called knob-and-tube in reference to the tubes like the one you found and the porcelain knobs used to tie off the wiring.

BSG

PorcelainTubeEarlyElectricalWiring.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the info on that I've been telling myself it was part of a pipe stem but yours is a perfect match! 

strick