phrunt

Having A Hard Time Detecting That First Nugget

WTG Phrunt! The ice has been broken.

• Thanks 1

Very well done Simon. I am so happy for you. It was just a matter of time as you seem very dedicated. Good on you. Shame you weren't there for the weekend as I would have caught up with you on sunday. Yes...we do live in a paradise & that is my backyard. I have to pinch myself every day....even when driving to work, which I have to do right now. Again...well done. You are stuffed now. You will never be the same. Another GAD victim. Gold Addiction Disorder. But that is all good.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am seriously thinking I need to find a way to invest in a Gold Monster 1000 to better my chances, as you said most Gold around is small Gold and it's far better than my GBP to find that small gold.  I may of walked past so many bits so far and not even known it with my GBP.  a GB2 is probably too complicated to use for me but a GM1000 seems easier and quite a bit cheaper.  It's a shame Briscoes doesn't sell them, I could pick one up at one of their weekly 60% off sales :biggrin:

Well, there is now Gold Monster 1000 on it's way! 

• Like 3

Good choice Simon & it won't break the bank. Now you just have ALL the shotgun pellets to deal with as well:ohmy: That will test your sanity. 

Good luck out there

• Haha 1

Hopefully my GBP helps sort those out.  I may have to lug along two detectors everywhere I go. I ordered my Gold Monster 1000 from DredgeNZ, they're always super fast with shipping so I hope to give it a burl this weekend, only problem is i'll have visitors from Australia so that makes things a little difficult, talk about timing! 

It's ridiculously easy to get hooked on Gold Prospecting :)

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's ridiculously easy to get hooked on Gold Prospecting :)

Aint that the truth. You will still be digging HEAPS of shot gun pellets. There is just no avoiding it when chasing tiny gold with higher frequency VLF gold detectors. Lead/gold is all the same to the detector. :rolleyes: Even the Zed gets its share :angry:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Well my Gold Bug Pro didn't find one shotgun pellet at 12 mile, it found plenty of bullet shells and some insanely deep down, 12" or more.

So at least finding lead pellets will be exciting as it means I'm on the right track.

I just hope I can sneak out this weekend to give the GM1000 a try with the aussie visitors here it may seem a bit rude to take off just after they arrive or i'll be walking along the Oreti trying it out knowing full well all i'll find there is pellets :)

youtube is just filled with videos on how bad the Gold Monster 1000 is, but it seems they're mostly false as it's being used wrong.  Disappointing people do these sorts of videos.

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

youtube is just filled with videos on how bad the Gold Monster 1000 is, but it seems they're mostly false as it's being used wrong.  Disappointing people do these sorts of videos.

This is where we are blessed Simon due to our insanely mild ground. VLF's struggle in highly mineralised ground, the more so the higher frequency ones & that is where the bad wrap comes from. To try to handle the hot ground they have to dumb down the detector to the point that it struggles to "see" any gold at all especially small gold or any thing for that matter. There were of course settings they could have explored to increase their chances....but they didnt. One of those bad wrap footages showed them comparing the GM 1000 with an SDC 2300 in hot ground. What a total miss match, chalk & cheese. A Pulse induction against a high frequency VLF in hot ground. The 2300 thrives in that environment & why it is so popular with many, in hot ground & small/tiny gold. You can never get the one detector that excels at everything in all conditions. Hence many serious prospectors having a number of machines & coils to match all ground condition gold size & depth encountered out there. It is very disappointing  that people do those kind of videos.

The comment you made about your GBP not getting one piece of lead shot is also a good reason as to why it didn't get one peice of small/tiny gold the same size as a lead shot. Bullet shells are a much bigger target than a lead shot, so not surprising it got those way deeper. Think about it :unsure: Size of target, depth, coil & detector used. Remember the trade offs I mentioned earlier.

Good luck out there

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1