Differences Between MXT Models?

Stah,  

There is something that people need to realise and that is Yes Australia does have some very bad ground that will cause VLF's to whinge and moan but rest assured there is also places that PI machines suffer too and on coming storms within 200k's can make a PI unusable and  at one time VLF's are all we had and the biggest "Detected" nugget in history was found with a VLF at about a foot deep, (Fact)

In answer to your question "Yes" the MXT will work there, and Goldsearch Australia field tested it there and were quite successful, Only having to reduce the Gain by about 20% from the maximum, It is a simple machine to operate but don't let that fool you it can punch well above it's weight, See here, http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/mxt_stories

many people here and the Aussie forums find Gold with VLF's such the GMT, GB 2, and the Racers etc, and yes hot rocks will sound off on a VLF and with some VLFs you will have to work at a reduced Gain, but if you give 10 top detectorists who have used VLF's in the past they will find Gold in the GT with a VLF,

The MXT has found hundreds of Kilo's of Gold from the US to Australia,, Is it the best VLF out there ? I don't know but a few companies seem to be borrowing some of its features and renaming them and those machines work quite well in Oz too So there is always room for a good VLF in the arsenal,

With my MXT I have about 10+ coils so I can tailor my MXT for any task at hand, Take the MXT in shallow bedrock areas and you will run rings around a PI sniffing out all the tiny Gold, so what's the point of having a machine that goes 3 feet deep when you only have 6 to 8" of soil, Searching old mining camps and tailing piles are other good places to use a VLF,

Whites make no wild claims with the MXT it is what it is and it is still the best detector Whites have ever made, turn it on set it up and detect, Due to the lack of bells and whistles newer detectorists are unimpressed with the MXT, but bells and whistles won't find Gold and the battery life is in excess of 60 hours, My perfect detector arsenal would be the MXT as the main machine and an SDC and then a 45/5k and maybe the EQ/GM because all 3 of those machines have a proven history,

Lastly a couple of things to bare in mind, keep it fun, Don't over invest money in to this hobby that you can't afford because when your success rate dips so will your enthusiasm, and all of the above will effect a persons home life and I have seen that happen to a few good friends so keep it in check. There is no perfect detector and these three machines will always make you smile when used correctly.

hope that helps, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Auminesweeper. That was very, very helpful. I am getting wise advice on this site. My search has narrowed considerably and yes, I shall consult my wife. I will be moving to Victoria in a month's time for work reasons and am keen to do a bit of detecting.

If you were to only have three coils for your MXT, what would they be?

Being new to detecting I would suggest that you take your time in build up your detector arsenal and as your finds rate grows so can your kit or desired machines,

For Gold remember there are more tiny nuggets than there are whoppers so I would go with the 5.3 (6") concentric and the 6x10 but if the MXT comes with the 10" round DD I would forget the 6x10 because it looses about 2 to 3 inches depth compared to the factory 10"DD but they both have the same sensitivity, My everyday deep coil is the 14x10 Detech Excellerator EQ2 because it has the power of the Whites 12"/300mm concentric but it deals with the ground a bit better being a DD and it can see bits as small as 0.02 grams on the surface and you can get them from ebay for about $150.00 AUD, and if you can run the MXT flat out it is a very powerful coil and whoops my TDI SL,

For Coin hunting I prefer the Whites concentric 950/9.5 coil and the 12"/300 for the extra depth because running the gain at about 3/4s it can and will find coins within the 12 to 13" mark, and in trashy sites the 5.3 works well and can rival the 6x10 for depth,.

What ever machine you buy approach your detecting  from a "Lets" see what is there kind of attitude, don't expect to be finding Gold and Silver all the time although I have always gone home with something and never got skunked that day will come for sure, and if you do buy an MXT Trust the Machine, because it will do the deed and the only time I had troubles was when I wanted it to do things my way and I had my worst days detecting ever, it is easy to use for Wives, Kids etc even Me, lol.

hope that helps.

J. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once again, helpful advice. At this point I would be looking at a MXT with the standard 10", plus the 5.3" and then be on the lookout for a 14x10 Detech Excellerator EQ2 on ebay. That sounds simple enough. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hibby said:

I will admit, there seem to be so many variations to the mxt line that it's confusing.

Not really, Between MXT E-series Tracker and the MXT-300 the only difference was that the 300 model got a matt black paint job and a 12".300mm concentric coil and the First model which is the MXT E-Series Tracker came with the Gloss Paint and the 950 (9,5") Concentric Coil,

The MXT Pro came with the matt black paint job and the 12/300mm concentric coil with the Ground Grab button and a back light and 7 Tone ID. And The MXT All Pro came with the 10" 2D (DD) coil and the same features as the MXT Pro, 

The performance levels are the same although Whites told me that they have continued to fine tune the line up and with the addition of better after market coils the MXT seems to have the power to keep up with any PI under the right conditions,

Hope that helps,

John.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 1/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The two MXT models have the exact same performance. The only difference is some shuffling of control functions. Any actual performance difference would be related to different stock coil options, but the guts are the same.

I like that ground grab button though. The older MXT you had to flip to tracking, then flip back to lock to get a new ground balance.

Tagging @JCR b/c it looks like we're both operating in the same scenario currently, pleased with recent "new to me" MXTs and figuring out how to use this [slightly] vingtage sports car.

So much info here on all these older MXT threads! As a newbie to the MXT, a big thanks to the veterans for logging your experiences on this incredible forum for the rest of us to pour over in the future.

Cheers!
-Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm really liking mine. It has the smoothest All Metal channel I have ever run. Relic's Mixed mode is my favorite but Coin mode is about as deep on the Disc side, I've used Prospect mode also and really like the constant Ground read out and Iron probability. With the 13" Detech Ultimate it is almost as deep as the Vista X with the Demon coil & Anfibio w/ AF35 coil.  It will probably end up just as deep if not deeper than those powerhouses in the Field because it is a good bit more stable at Max Gain. It is rare that I can run the other two flat out. Lots of fun. Already found some good stuff with it.

• Like 2