Differences Between MXT Models?

I understand some of the differences between recent models (different standard coil means different name) but what I'm asking about is changes over the 15+ years this detector has been made.  I may find a great deal on a used one sometime and would like to know how much different that particular model might be compared to a brand new one (other than the obvious issues such as warranty).

Adendum:  As usual I should have looked at Steve's nugget detector review page where there is quite a bit under the MXT pages.  Still not quite sure the info there (including link to Jeff Foster's table of differences) covers all the changes.  For example, are there only two temporal models, old one being simply 'MXT' and new one simply 'MXT Pro'?  And when did changes in operating characteristics occur (good to know since White's models have a sticker inside the battery compartment with date of manufacture)?

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Good to know.  Thanks to both David and Steve for responding.

The world of metal detectors is rich in traditions, conventions, and naming/renaming practices.  For example, there are two Fisher Gold Bugs (1990's and 2010's versions), which are very different detectors.  Then again, there is the Fisher F19 -- different name but just the (new) Gold Bug with a few added features.  How many White's Goldmaster (and Coinmaster) models have been made, some similar and some quite different?  This is another example of knowledge being valuable.  The older MXT's on Ebay tend to sell for quite a bit less (typically $100 or more) than the newer ones.  Are the few differences worth the added cost?

You're probably tired of hearing that I lost 35 years between my early days of detecting and my current stretch.  Thankfully I have all of you here to fill in the knowledge gap.  Thanks!

• Like 1

The two MXT models have the exact same performance. The only difference is some shuffling of control functions. Any actual performance difference would be related to different stock coil options, but the guts are the same.

I like that ground grab button though. The older MXT you had to flip to tracking, then flip back to lock to get a new ground balance.

• Like 1

I have an older MXT....

Really couldn't care less about the ground grab since you can still accomplish that by the simple flip of a switch back and forth.

Nor do I care about a backlight..... When I hunt at night which is seldom anymore I used a headlamp that illuminated the screen just fine when I needed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned the last 3 versions of the MXT, the first one I bought was the MXT 300 which came with the Racing Matt Black paint job and the 12"/300 coil and I used that big coil where others were using small coils because of the junk but I got the deep Gold and Silver in the first week of owning it, That started the fire and I have owned every model since,

There are many great machines out there but once you have used an MXT and you pick one up again a while down the track you get that "Oh Yeah" feeling and you know all is right with the World, It is just a nice machine to use that finds it all if it is within it's reach, There is no best machine but the MXT will put a smile on the oldest of faces and it will cover 99% of a persons needs.

J.

• Like 1

Greetings Auminesweeper.  The MXT has got me interested. Being an Aussie like me, how have you found it searching for gold in the heavily mineralised grounds such as in the golden triangle of Victoria? Should I be looking at a ML GPX 4500, which is dearer, or will this MXT do the trick. Another option was the ML Equinox that "everyone" seems to be talking about. 

Being a raw beginner I have started off very small with an Aldi detector, buried my wife's ring in 6 inches of dirt and detected it. Valuing my life I 1st put it into a plastic bag, just in case.