Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - Waterproof To Ten Feet

Steve, along with interest in rumblfish's question, have you tried the AT underwater / sniping for gold in a stream?

Thanks,

Mike

• 6 months later...

Well, long story short I really like the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT. I will probably get rid of all my other pinpointers. Wish I could find a copy of the review I did for the GPAA Magazine online but unfortunately I can't. Simple, intuitive, powerful, waterproof - I can't really ask for more.

Main Garrett website page on the Pro-Pointer AT http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_pro-pointer_at_main_en.aspx

Color Brochure With Specifications http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/1140900_pro-pointer_at_lowres.pdf

Operating Manual http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/pro-pointer_at_english.pdf

I do not use the pinpointer a lot when nugget detecting but it comes in handy when the holes get deep or just hard digging. Sometimes a nail throws me off and I go right past it, and the pinpointer lets me know the target is in the wall of the hole. Or, when the hole gets deep enough I worry about maybe hitting the nugget and the pinpointer makes sure that does not happen. This one was around a 1/4 oz and if I remember correctly was down around 16" plus.

garrett-pro-pointer-at-minelab-gpz-7000.jpg

garrett-pro-pointer-at-finds-gold-nugget.jpg

nevada-gold-with-gpz-7000.jpg

• Like 5

Steve,

I agree with you.  

I've had the Pro, Minelab, the gun and a couple of others and this orange AT is the best of the lot.  The worst product Minelab makes is their pointer.

I'm using it on the beach when I find things with my big coil on a 3030 and it saves me a lot of time when I care to use it.

Lately I have been trying to get better a pinpointing with a large coil so I don't use it.  It seems that the problem with a large coil (which is like swinging a big nerf ball detection sphere) is not pinpointing but digging in the right place once we hear the signal.  A large coil is so big there are many places to dig when you hear the signal.  Slowly inching up on a target with the edge of a large coil will reduce the choices of digging the hole. (More on this in a different thread.)

Once close to a target a small tip pinpointer like the AT lets you dig the proper part of the hole.

• Like 2

I still use the Older Bullseye II purely because it runs at 36 kHz and it sees bits smaller than one grain and as soon as I release the button it is off and I can adjust the sensitivity in Tiny steps with the rotary control, 

I saw the Garrett AT about 2 or 3 months ago on their web site and it said coming soon , and I think Regtons got them a while back because they were showing them on their site,, another reason I went with the BE II is because many people were having issues with the lower frequency pin pointer up setting their PI machines and cross talking with their VLF's,

But I would like one of these just because of the color so I don't loose it,

john

On 1/19/2015 at 11:17 AM, Bearkat said:

Garrett said this new one will be more sensitive than the previous model. Hopfully that will make it better for small nuggets. The smallest I could pick up with the previous one is .2 gram. So if the new one will get a .1 gram nugget, I'll get it. Other than that a Harbor Freight pinpointer will get .05 gram nugget for $20. But the water proofing is a must and can be great for under water sniping, as long as it will get the small pickers that are usually in bedrock cracks.

BK

My New Trusty Bullseye II can see bits down to 0.03 grams and 0.06 at between 5 to 10mm away (1/4" to 3/8"), I know all the others see coins up to 4" away but that is pointless that's what my Detector is for and with the Rotary tuner it has many more uses as it can be set precisely unlike those models with 3 or 4 Pre set settings and running at 36 kHz does away with cross talk between it and my machines.

I have used them for years and when they have had troubles I just take em apart and give them a squirt of Switch cleaner and they are good to go for another 3 or 4 years

This new garrett costs $170.00. here,, my BE II costs $69.75

john

be4.jpg

be3.jpg

be2.jpg

be1.jpg