Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - Waterproof To Ten Feet

That mean it is a dog? :)

I know people have had issues with their Garrett pinpointers but my first is many years old now and a lot of plastic worn off tip, and still going strong. I have a second I got because I lost the first one, then found it again after I bought the second one. I never use audio and so filled speakers with glue. Mine have always been waterproof!

I have the other brands but keep coming back to the Garrett for a simple reason. It vibrates a second when I turn it on, and again when I turn it off. The TRX I really like, but it is bugging me because in vibrate mode I have to look at the light to make sure I turned it off. Nothing happens when I hold off button.

My other two pinpointers are for sale in the classifieds but I am holding on to the TRX still because it is hotter on small stuff and deeper by a couple inches than the Garrett. But if I get this new Garrett and it is as hot as the TRX and gives me that feedback on shutdown, the TRX may be gone next. More likely I will just use the TRX when I need that extra punch

Haha! No, it means "I want one!" But like vanursepaul I just purchased the terrain version a couple of weeks ago - bad timing!

I want to start river sniping this year, so this looks like a handy piece of kit. Be interesting if someone could do a side by side comparison using the two propointers and see if there is much of a difference in sensitivity.

• Like 1

I see you can Pre-order on Kellyco......  (not saying that is the place to order)  See complete description there too.

I don't know, but it appears that their main feature(as they state) is that it is waterproof to 10'

Compared to my Pro-Pointer is has a vibration only mode built in. My unit I filled the speaker with glue since there is no way to silence it. Three level sensitivity setting with more sensitivity if desired - that is a big difference.

However, I must say for my purposes what I have is working just fine. Sometimes simple is better, especially for me!

What about Garrett ponpointer false signal if you pry on tip wit huge force? I hope they remove this issue in new model. Steve what you think about Minelab pointers?

I do not pry with or push with undue force on my pinpointer so that problem does not occur when I am pinpointing. For me the signal you get when pushing too hard on the pinpointer is the "hey, you are pushing on me too hard" signal and so I don't do that.

The Minelab pinpointers are just fine. There is one thing I like on the Garrett that so far I am not seeing on the Minelab or the TRX. I do not go by sound - I wear headphones and in a park I do not want the pinpointer beeping and attracting attention. So I am going by vibration only and as I noted I glued the speaker shut on my Garret to shut it up plus make it waterproof! Anyway, when I turn the Garrett on it wiggles to let me know I turned it on. And when I turn it off, it wiggles again to let me know it has turned off.

I have become used to that tactile feedback. When the Minelab and the TRX are in vibrate mode, nothing happens when you turn them off. I honestly end up looking at the light to make sure. Tiny thing for sure, but the sort of thing that actually matters to me when I am in a park recovering hundreds of aluminum items looking for a ring. My Minelab is for sale right now cheap in the Classifieds along with the Nokta RS I have.

On 1/2/2015 at 7:22 PM, deathray said:

you in NoCal Rumblefish??

No. I'm on the other side of the Atlantic (or Pacific depending on which way you go around), in Spain.

There don't seem to be many prospectors here so I'm kind of having to make it up as I go along with help from people I meet along the way. Historically there was a lot of gold here. It was the first place that the Romans mined seriously for gold. I'm working on the principle that it's always coming out from the mountains and they didn't manage to get everything! They didn't have an SDC 2300 for starters!

This is the most famous site, but I think it's a heritage site now and I don't think you can detect there. It's an amazing place. Those rocks stick up like giant golden teeth out of the ground.

• Like 1

I would have to agree on the Garrett Pro Pointer....I liked it ,than sold it because I wanted the hotter TRX. The problem with the TRX is that every time you turn it on and off you get this beepin noise and like you said Steve, I happen to always look at the dang light to make sure its on or off. I also found it very sensitive to hot soil, you can balance it out, but than again you have to go through a ground balance procedure. Basically its to much work I will end up getting the new Garrett Pro Pointer AT when available and use the TRX for that extra punch if I need it. I like a simple effective machine, that saves me time on the field and the Pro Pointer did that. The more targets I dig, the better odds of locating a nugget.