Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - Waterproof To Ten Feet

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with the crappy design and 'cheap' parts in the guts of the Garrett Pro Pointer created major heart-burn for this guy.  So much so that it got chucked in the trash in a fit of anger, when I found the wires were shorting on the mother-board causing it to 'false' constantly and then after spending some time on re-designing the internals; it came to pass that the rubber grommet on the switch had been installed incorrectly and ("it sure wasn't waterproof...let me tell ya!") the switch mechanism collapsed inside.  Unbelievable.  What left a bitter taste in my mouth was the fact that as it was purchase in the US, it was unable to be repaired here in OZ.  

The milk and water response from Garrett, was, in my opinion, pathetic.  

Garrett said this new one will be more sensitive than the previous model. Hopfully that will make it better for small nuggets. The smallest I could pick up with the previous one is .2 gram. So if the new one will get a .1 gram nugget, I'll get it. Other than that a Harbor Freight pinpointer will get .05 gram nugget for $20. But the water proofing is a must and can be great for under water sniping, as long as it will get the small pickers that are usually in bedrock cracks.

BK

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been using my new AT for two weeks now.  I purchased it mainly because you can use it in vibrate only and the fact it's waterproof. The sensitivity seems to be on a par with my TRX but still doing some testing on that. I paid $137.19 for it from a local dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

So I dropped my Garrett Pro-Pointer in a lake and now it's totally useless. Can't turn it off at all using the button and it just bleeps like crazy when it feels like it. Does anyone have any real world experience of the waterproof Garrett? I recall that our friends from Nokta also have a new one out, but it's hard to say which is better without someone running a comparative test.

Update

Well, I actually managed to fix it. The water had rusted up the spring mechanism inside the tiny switch button on the circuit board, so I blasted that and the battery terminals with WD-40, cleaned it out and then reassembled the switch. I re-seated the rubber button on the outside of the pin pointer also, and now it works just fine (actually better than before it got wet). I will have to find a way to seal it around the speaker vent so I don't have to go through all that again!