So What Is Gold Mode Exactly?

Thank you for the well thought out explanation Steve. As I have found in the last while as a member new to this game, you have a way of cutting out the chaff and getting to the nitty gritty of the issue. I have learned a great deal more from your posts, not just about the Equ  but on the subject of metal detecting itself, than from just about anywhere else I have tried to find info on the subject. Thanks for the great explanations and keep up the good work....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, just to be very clear - I do not know the technical details of how Gold Mode is doing what it does. I may have went astray in mentioning all metal modes and attempting to define them. That is not what is important to me or what I was trying to convey. I was just trying to describe what Gold Mode acts like, nothing more. For me the big difference in Gold Mode is the way the audio gets processed. There may be far more to it than that from a technical perspective. I am just trying to describe the difference from an end user perspective. The only reason I mention the classic threshold based all metal mode is that it provides a frame of reference for the old-timers in the game.

• Like 3

Steve I think you've done a stand up job and it is definitely food for thought at this early stage. From my perspective (Gold Prospecting-centric) I'm no longer trying to get max depth from this type of detector so just do not focus heavily on deeper sounding responses, I have an SDC and GPZ for that type of detecting. With that restraint removed I'm then freed up to focus on what the Equinox is truly good at, ping little nuggets in quieter soils with real time data on target probability. 

To me the EQ brings me into a whole new world of information not previously available in a decent auto Ground balancing VLF gold machine, I am now, whilst prospecting, able to tap into some of the features I love so much on the top end dedicated coin and relic machines, and whats even more impressive, I can take that exact same detector and go chase coins and relics if I want to, no re-familiarization process just change modes and away you go, brilliant! 

A really good read and food for thought as we all patiently wait for the Equinox.

JP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you JP for all you do and the kind words. I am like you in that I am used to running a GPZ day in and day out and so when I switch to VLF my concern for depth is not paramount. If it was I would keep swinging the GPZ. It's not that VLF depth is not important, but when talking prospecting detectors and VLFs it always has to be stated "great depth - for a VLF". I don't want people thinking that a $900 VLF somehow changed the rules versus the big gun prospecting detectors. Just like the Aussies that thought the Gold Monster was going to outperform the SDC 2300 on hot Oz ground. I would like to try and keep this all as real as possible.

• Like 4

As a long time coin and relic hunter with no prospecting experience. I am really looking forward to this new machine as it will give me a new excuse to make some road trips and search for gold. So what is the TID range for raw gold? Or is that still  being tweaked? 

Raw small gold typically gives low target id numbers, single digits, but you have to incorporate personal experience on your ground when relying on such things as gold nugget will read anywhere from foil to aluminum can. Here is a thread that details the subject. When in doubt - dig it out!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mountain Mike said:

As a long time coin and relic hunter with no prospecting experience. I am really looking forward to this new machine as it will give me a new excuse to make some road trips and search for gold. So what is the TID range for raw gold? Or is that still  being tweaked? 

Depends on the level of mineralisation. When hunting gold you have to look at discrimination differently, it becomes part of your tool set in combination with a lot of other things like, swing speed, coil height, audio response (a very important one that one) ground type etc. I use all metal almost exclusively, if that helps.

JP

• Like 3

I have desired and conveyed a particular want in a motion all machine for years.  It is simply an audio option of at least two different tones.  One for iron, the other for non ferrous targets in a VLF machine.  Is that to much to have asked for?

I had one of the guys at 1st Texas reply with a similar statement, "it's easier said than done"