Can A Drone Be A Prospecting Tool?

G'day Reg

I have been flying the Mavic Pro for over a year. It is just an amazing piece of kit. Not only is it compact and I have it setup to deploy within a minute, its video and real-time footage are spectacular. I think I'm a bit more adventurous that the blokes above - I'll send mine 3 km's away with no VLS. We usually have someone on wedgie watch though, don't mess with the wedgies. What do we use it for? Well, all sorts of things. Finding our way into difficult spots, deploy the drone and find an old track. Up fence lines that look dodgy and overgrown to see if we can make it. We've found shafts and old dryblowings that you would have to stumble over to find. Followed a bloke who was trying to follow us (that was very funny stuff). Getting birds-eye-view of runs and dig-holes as well as documenting our pushes.

I have some fantastic cinematic videos of the amazing areas we prospect - some are breathtaking. I would love to share these but the blokes I go out with would rather not.

Is it expensive - yes. Hard to learn - not really but like anything it takes time and a bit of practice. My advice is of course not to get one for a few more years .........

Cheers

BB

• Like 7

That`s it BB, I`m mounting a culler on the drone............ But seriously you`ve nailed it just a matter of learning the ropes and giving it a go, I see Boeing has got in the act and have a  payload drone. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16875382/boeing-drone-evtol-cav-500-pounds

Thanks BB glad to know it has possibilities. I live in the central Victorian gold fields on 50 acres and have found gold on my property and nearby, so I have plenty of area to practice. Cheers and good hunting.

Hey Reg

I have the Phantom 4 and its great over the goldfields. I just shoot it up above the treeline and have a scout around. As Im not using a 4x4, I also run it down tracks Im not sure of to see whether I will have access.

I have spotted diggings and quartz reefs that I couldnt see from the road.

I had looked at the Mavick but being smaller, its not quite as good in the strong winds that we often have once you get above the trees.

Pat

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

Norvic you are a party pooper  -  cover blown, yes it's a culling device.

BB

It's not like i didn't already suspect you had alternate culling devices in operation BB..... and what are you doing looking behind you ??? I am up front looking from behind the spiniflex...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Norvic, that Boeing drone would be sweet to mount a LIDAR under it, and build ultra detailed relief map of prospective ground.

Google maps images of my area of interest just aren't good enough to identify paleo channels.

• Like 2

If you want to compare google earth to Mavic Pro footage, you can see some shots of silver mines around Cobalt Ontario through the link below. Judge for yourself if it has value to you. 

Http://Vimeo.com/weotn

• Like 2

I think it would be a great idea to use a Drone especially if you are going into wilderness areas, desert and other open areas. Or if you are going to be in an area for more than a few hours

One thing Id sure wait until the price comes down. FAA rules say you cant fly them over 400 ft. In the USA..

The Mavic Pro looks good. Not in my budget though. Impressive for sure!