River Hunting Advice Needed.....

oneguy

Guys...  Could use some expertise/advice about using the GM 1000 on the river?  I know I can't really explain the conditions etc but I'll try...bear with me?  First off it's winter and I have maybe 12-24" of bare ground between river and snowbank and river isn't all that low.  I have no idea how deep bedrock is and not much bedrock is visible along banks, even in summer.  This is also glacier gold and lots of it hasn't even thought about hitting bedrock yet. River also running pretty good, slippery bowling ball sized rocks, and drops off fairly quick. My thought was to take the Monster and just detect maybe up to 3' off the bank, in river, behind rocks, etc.  I won't be able to pack in a prybar for flipping rocks but will have my # 2 shovel, pan, sluice , etc. in case I have no luck tecting?  I was curious if any of you have had any luck shooting the shallows behind rocks in steady flowing water?  What I really need is what kind of scoop would you use in moving water (hopefully I could improvise at home)....????  I thought maybe a small metal pan, metal coffee cup, then I thought plastic coffee container, or just hope for the best and use my shovel and dump into plastic gold pan????   Any success stories, tactics or tips on river shooting in flowing water and retrieval tools appreciated!  I'm also new to nugget shooting and only have about 12 hrs on the Monster so that's why the kinda stupid questions....lol  Thanks!

My thought is that you are not going to have very good luck unless you can get close to bedrock or a layer of hardpan. Shoveling it into a gold pan is a waste of time.

Maybe look up the bottom of small side draws that aren't running water(or much water) if you think the glacial gold is still eroding into the stream. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

Maybe look up the bottom of small side draws that aren't running water(or much water) if you think the glacial gold is still eroding into the stream. 

LipCa.......  That's summertime stuff.....couple feet of snow here.  There'll be some of that next summer...thanx!!!

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I find underneath the big rocks in the creek has more gold than behind or infront of them so I have to try roll them over.  

That's exactly what I found here also....underneath.  Thanks guys for the responses!  It just dawned on me that I have the same type boulders right on the steep bank that I can roll right into the river with little effort and check quickly with the Monster....duhhhh!!!!!!  I'm currently digging in same bank with fair results using conventional #2, pan, sluice. When back gets tired digging I'll flip a few boulders and check with Monster?  Gold here is like someone took a salt shaker and sprinkled it all over the land.  There isn't nuggets like Cali or Aus, etc. but a few larger pieces have been found.  I should also check my current hole (underwater) with the Monster......   This stuff is what I'm currently getting and about average for me...once in awhile a picker shows up.

Anyways...thanks again, you've given this guy some ideas

P1210004.JPG

• Like 3

Id say probably you will be happier if you stick to sluicing/panning,  in rivers. You will end up aggravating yourself unless you are on bare bedrock. Even then, rivers tend to be trash dumps and not the most enjoyable places to detect. Most guys that successfully nugget detect are in the  dry diggings, small creeks, below pocket mines, and within reach of bedrock.  There are exceptions though, and sometimes the gold is in the float or false bedrock. 

• Like 1

I have found nuggets towards the middle of a creek wedged tightly in bedrock which took around 45 minutes to chip it out of the crack with rock hammer and chisel. For bedrock a Estwing rock hammer and a good set of chisel are essential. Have you tried using a gold suction tube after you loosened up the target zone? You might want to tie on a cord or something to your detector attached to your chest area when you are digging to keep it from falling into the river. Stick closer to shore as well as the benches along the river.

5 hours ago, goldseeker4000 said:

For bedrock a Estwing rock hammer and a good set of chisel are essential. Have you tried using a gold suction tube after you loosened up the target zone?  Stick closer to shore as well as the benches along the river.

Hey thanks guys for the tips!  Got the Estwing/chisel and hand dredge.  Any benches are snow covered now.  I fall down in the river enough in summertime and will be staying very close to shore this time of year. I'll try and clean up my hole I'm working with the dredge, run GM to check bottom of hole, then run thru sluice, etc.  In between breaks for my shovel hurting back I'll take the GM along the shore and flip a few boulders and see if anything shows up????

thanx again!