Detecting Hydraulic Areas

• 4 weeks later...

My friend ezdave and I, did some detecting at a hydraulic area near happy camp last summer. Both of us worked the exposed bedrock, the areas with small tailing, and the base areas. We did not find any gold but a lot of 22 shells. I personally tried to think of places where other may have overlooked. Hard area to hunt with lots of poison oak.

Jeffery - Treasuredude

Hey,

So I found a nice piece (my biggest to date out of 20 or so nuggets) about 8 inches into some virgin channel.  Only was 0.6 of a gram, but its huge to me.  This was my first piece in my new patch and hopefully there is more to come.

Went back to my old reliable patch and sniffed out two dinks that were 0.05 g each. That place always gives me some gold (19 nuggets and counting).  These small pieces were a couple inches down.

Still working on clearing all the trash out so I can bring in the big coils.  But I've found a 8 inch pipe thats buried down about a foot that needs to be removed first.  All of this will wait until the summer when Im back in CA. 

post-236-0-11532100-1422159154_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Calgeo,

Not all hydro pits are what you'd expect them to be! I forgot what detector you use, but your best bet is to run around your pit with a GoldBug2. This detector will tell you fast if there is detectable gold in a hydro pit and where. Your pit vast majority of the gold maybe small GB2 good only? Remember, the spots that the GB2 produced and then you can try your GPX for deeper larger nuggets, 11" or 8" coil is big enough to start with. I've hunted countless hydro pits and only a few are worth going back to, the rest of them makes you wonder if the old timers just needed something to do...lol Hope you find the sweet spot!

LuckyLundy

Small workings like the one in the photo are some of my favorite places along with sites that require some effort to get to. 6Xnbugs (Ken) has a good story about having a helicopter dropping him and a partner somewhere in Ak. I think they about broke even. I hope to be able to try something like that before I get old and develop common sense.

That would be this one Klunker....

chopper_zpsf73b2df5.jpg

The valley we camped in...........

intocamp_zps76f53f47.jpg

An old automatic dam gate...those were some smart fellers..............

gate1_zps59d38429.jpg

Camp........

camp_zps32e34990.jpg

Two trips in and two trips out.  Took a dredge/highbanker, detectors etc and not enough picks and shovels :-)  Flew in around 130 air miles to the middle of BFE.  Pretty safe to say we didn't see any dig holes excpet for ones made many years ago.  Awesome trip.  I think after it was all said and done it cost us around $500 bucks using the gold we found to offset the expenses, for an 11 day vacation.  Oh, and maybe a few broken picks and shovels.  Good times.

Kenny

• Like 2