I am really interested in the GM and I had a few questions. 1st how does it do on bedrock?That's primarily where I'd use it. 2nd I'm going to post a picture of some gold I found sniping. I really want to use a metal detector at this location. There's definitely gold there. Do you think this gold is big enough for the GM to see? And 3rd I have access to a old hydraulic mine do you think it would do ok there? My last detector was a mxt and I never did find gold with it. I'm located in Oregon

20180125_172133.jpg

• Like 1

Jesse,

the GM 1000 with the 5” round coil is an excellent bedrock sniper. As for the size of nugget it will detect, see my post here:

that's big gold for a GM 1000 :biggrin:  It finds TINY

Thanks, I'm planning on purchasing it in a couple weeks. I think my mind is made up.

Seven of these smaller ones were found with the GM1000 but not on bedrock.  The four larger ones were with the GPZ7000 - all found in the same general area within days of each other.

The GM was using the 5” round Disk - and small gold is definitely it’s specialty.  The area had been pounded to death for years, but these smaller fellas seemed to escape prior capture.  So yes, the GM should see it if it’s there, and if it’s deeper (or shallow), so will the ZED.

You’ll love the GM, swing low and swing slow.

F81BCE5A-A7BF-4313-A99B-8E0FAA810504.jpeg

• Like 6

I own and have used both the GM1000 and the MXT, and will tell you that the GM1000 is much more sensitive to smaller gold. That said, all the gold in your photo should be something that your MXT could have heard if the gold were shallow enough. There are various factors as to why you might not hear the gold with either detector. Some possible problems (but not a full listing of every possible issue). 1. The gold is down deep in crevices, too deep to be heard with a detector - small gold is detectable at shallow depths and you will not see this size of gold at the bottom of a 6 inch crevice; 2. You are not listening close enough to the sounds your detector makes and are ignoring signals - small nuggets do not boom out like a coin or other big target; 3. The bedrock is highly mineralized and is making a racket on your detector - you may need to turn down the gain to hear the nuggets over the noise.

• Like 2

The gold monster is perfect for hunting bedrock. All the gold in my attached photo was found on bedrock. All but the two larger ones were found in a hydraulic mine and were in the bedrock. Most all these tiny pieces were found on average of 6 inches down in the bedrock. Some were under the middle of two slabs of bedrock and one was completely encased in a slab of bedrock 6 inches down. It is very good at this type of gold hunting. The other two were found in bedrock also but along Libby creek. One was in the middle of the creek.

1107171200~2.jpg

20170820_183425.jpg

20170820_080640.jpg

• Like 7

On 26/01/2018 at 1:08 PM, Jesse said:

I am really interested in the GM and I had a few questions. 1st how does it do on bedrock?That's primarily where I'd use it. 2nd I'm going to post a picture of some gold I found sniping. I really want to use a metal detector at this location. There's definitely gold there. Do you think this gold is big enough for the GM to see? And 3rd I have access to a old hydraulic mine do you think it would do ok there? My last detector was a mxt and I never did find gold with it. I'm located in Oregon

20180125_172133.jpg

Hi Jesse

There’s a great Facebook group  “”Gold Monster 1000l””.

its definitely worth a look there’s a few guys that go out everyday and are killing it with this detector and post daily!.

But the best bit is if you ever need any help or advice these guys in particular will point you in the right direction and if they can’t help you out it’s most probably not worth knowing.

Good luck

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Posted by Metal Detecting For Arizona Gold July 4, 2020
      In this video I go out to the Double J claim to gather up some mineralize soil for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 depth test. I use 7 different Gold Nuggets and conduct the test using Auto 1 and Auto 2.

• By Machineman
      I just picked up my Gold Monster 1000. The first one had a low volume issue and was replaced by the dealer. The second one appears to suffer from bump falsing. This may be due to lack of experience with the machine. I used it for the last 2 days and was able to find some really small gold which is awesome. It did a falsed badly with the small coil and some with the large coil during those 2 days.  I tested it when I got home by holding starting it and ground balancing it in a clear location. Using the small coil. It falsed badly in 10 and 9 less in 7 and 8 and barely in 6.  The issue is not as bad with the large coil.  I then held the small coil up in the air and tested for falsing. The issue was still there but 10 was more like the setting of 7 when grounded.  I moved the cable while in the air and there was no falsing. I used my scoop to tap the coil and cable so my hand wouldn't effect the result. I have generally concluded that the issue is due to high sensitivity setting more than coil or software issues. 
      I would like to verify this by comparing my machine to another.  Some other users could do the same test and see what your results are. This would give us a baseline for what a GM1000 should perform like. 
      Test procedure
      Turn on and balance on clear ground at setting manual 10 or highest possible manual setting with small coil.
      tap coil lightly with scoop or something that wont be detectable.
      Reduce sensitivity until falsing is a non issue.
      Record this setting 
      Then perform same test in the air and record that setting. 
      Post results on this thread
      My results would be Grounded 6. In the air 9 or possibly 10.
      This will obviously vary due to the ground you have and how hard you tap the coil, so the more tests we have the more accurate the data will be. Thanks
    • By JM2855
      All - wondering if any of you out there have any experience with using either of these detectors inside hardrock mines or on hardrock ore, veins, etc.  I recently purchased both of these detectors and I am interested in the discrimination on gold in an old hardrock mine area.  I have found that the Equinox will find arsenopyrite very nicely in samples, and I have found the GM does not respond at all to large chunks of pyrite in samples I have.  However I am interested in discrimination on gold in rock and veins where there are arsenopyrite, pyrite, large amounts of chalcopyrite, lead, zinc, etc.  Anyone with any experiece with the Equinox in prospecting mode sounding off on any of these minerals (besides gold)?  Anyone with experience with the GM 1000 on any of these minerals in Gold non-ferrous mode?  Since some of the veins have extensive pyrite, chalcopyrite and base metals, I was hoping I could discriminate gold from the other elements in some of the hardrock areas and tailings I've come across in my wanderings. Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts around these detectors on minerals like that in hard rock and how they would likely respond to them.   
    • By Machineman
      I just bought a GM1000 and was under the impression that the external audio is quite loud. Mine is defiantly not. The headphones are loud but not the external. Its brand new and I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping to use it tomorrow but now I think I may have to take it back to the shop.  Kind of takes the excitement out of a new detector. Is this fixable at home? Thanks
    • By flycatch
      When I swing the coil over a target from left to right I get signal return but when I sweep in the opposite direction no signal detected. Is this normal or do I have a defective coil. Both coils that came with the unit do the same thing. This is my first metal detector so I'm not familiar with their technical properties. 
    • By ElkGold
      Hey Team,
      First post, long time lurker. I am right on the brink of buying my next detector. I previously had a GMT w/nugget coil shooter 4x6", which I had dialed in very well, and it detected small good very well. Where I am from everyone uses a GB2, and has good success - they are however hard to find in Canada, and I am leaning towards the 24K/GMX. I like the fact the GMX is waterproof, and I can use it for underwater sniping, as well as never worry about weather and or moisture. It comes with the 6.5" concentric coil, which I have never used, but in my understanding would make it even MORE sensitive then the 4x6" DD coil solution (at the cost of mobility). Do you guys think the new 24K/GMX w/ 6.5" concentric would be a better overall unit for small placer gold then the tried and true Gold Bug 2 w/6.5" coil?
      I don't want to do this twice is possible. The ground I am in is in the East Kootenays of BC, and is not too hot, but does contain some "spicy"  rocks and very jagged bedrock as a platform. Most of the gold I need to detect will need "depth" as utmost importance. It has been picked over very well in the past, and I really need something that will shoot a little better then a hot GB2.
      The GMX platform comes currently w/ the 6.5" concentric, and the 4x6 new DD coil for $1140 CAD all in.
      Would the Gold Kruzer perform equally to the GMX/24K platform? It is about $300.00 cheaper for the entire 2 coil waterproof package. 
      Anyways please try to confirm my belief beyond Steve's signature which says he kept the 24K and got rid of the other VLF's lol. Also Aureus's review of his 24K had me sold when he said he was turning old ground into "new" ground. 
      Cheers! 🙂