Waterproof Connections & Sizes

This is an update of another post I made but the issue is confusing people, partly because inaccurate information is being posted on another forum. I therefore wanted to hi-light the options again and keep it as simple as possible. 

The Equinox is fully waterproof or totally submersible out of the box. It can be used in pouring down rain or dropped in the water while wading without fear. It has a built in waterproof speaker and built in wireless. The 1/8” connection for wired headphones has a plug in place that keeps water and sand from getting into the opening, but the jack is sealed internally and no water can get into the pod from here.

minelab-equinox-audio-plug-detail.jpg

If the pod is submerged to a foot (for instance) you can no longer hear the external speaker and the wireless can’t transmit from underwater. So all we are talking about here is how to hear an Equinox when the pod is underwater. As long as the pod is at or above the surface the external speaker or wired/wireless headphones or WM08 may be used.

It should be obvious that the optional waterproof headphones come with a 1/8” waterproof connection that mates to the waterproof connection on the detector pod. Now you can hear the detector while the pod is submerged. You can also stick your head underwater. Unlike some waterproof detectors you can adjust the volume of the headphones via the volume control on the detector. Some waterproof detectors have no volume control.

The waterproof headphones are optional and so if you want to use the Equinox and stick your head underwater, yes, you need an accessory item - the headphones. Minelab Part No. 3011-0372

minelab-equinox-waterproof-headphones-3011-0372-small.jpg

If you want to wade and stick the pod underwater but not stick your head underwater, you can get the optional Minelab 1/8” to 1/4” adapter cable. This cable has the same 1/8” waterproof fitting on one end as the waterproof headphones and a standard dry land type 1/4” female jack on the other end. Attach the waterproof end the the detector. Keep the 1/4” end out of the water and dry. Like run it up your arm and attach to your shoulder. Now plug any 1/4” style metal detector headphones in and detect with the pod underwater.

minelab-equinox-1-8-4-eigth-quarter-headphone-adapter-details.jpg

That is it - all the options you have for sticking the pod underwater and hearing the detector.

The WM 08 wireless module that comes with the Equinox 800 has the same special 1/8” female waterproof socket as the detector itself. That means the waterproof headphones and adapter cable above can plug directly into the WM 08. The WM 08 is not waterproof and should not be submerged.

minelab-wm08-module-side-view-port.jpg

The wireless headphones that come with the Equinox 800 are rechargeable. If they go dead while in the field, they come with a cable that has a standard male 1/8” stereo plug on each end. One end plugs into the headphone, the other end plugs into the Equinox directly or the WM08. The connections and headphones are not waterproof.

minelab-equinox-aptx-bluetooth-headphones-3011-0370.jpg

The Equinox 600 comes with a simple set of wired headphones. The 1/8” connector on it is not waterproof nor are the headphones themselves.

minelab-1-8-headphones-equinox-gold-monster-3011-0364-small.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks so much Steve.  Fortunately, I doubt I will be going into deep water for at least several weeks after the 800 shows up (no polar bear genes).  Plenty of dry land or at most ankle deep water detecting can be had in the mean time.  Regardless, an announcement on accessory availability would be quite welcome.  I take it the wireless Apt X phones that come with the 800 are at least weather resistant (i.e., they would be no worse for the wear after a minor rain shower) or will I have to panic if I see rain clouds coming even though I am swinging a waterproof detector :rolleyes:

Great idea, I have a pair of water resistant detecting headphones so that would work.  Hoping there is not too much lag with my BT Sports buds which are water resistant, but they are not low latency so I am not banking on it.  The WM08 solution allows me to stay untethered, so great.  Nice to have several options which seems to be a prime consideration by Minelab.

• 2 weeks later...