Waterproof Connections & Sizes

Another good thing about this machine is ...... the number of devices that can be blue toothed.   Add a pair or two of ear buds and the grand kids can take part i what you love to do.   Free diggers...... and they can even swing this machine.    I dont know how good wireless ear buds are.... but you always have an option of putting gun protector muffs over them.   The WM08 and wireless phones may become a problem on salt water beaches if you spend the time i do out there ..... salt water mist works on everything.

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Another good thing about this machine is ...... the number of devices that can be blue toothed.   Add a pair or two of ear buds and the grand kids can take part i what you love to do.   Free diggers...... and they can even swing this machine.    I dont know how good wireless ear buds are.... but you always have an option of putting gun protector muffs over them.   The WM08 and wireless phones may become a problem on salt water beaches if you spend the time i do out there ..... salt water mist works on everything.

I like the multitude of audio connectivity options too.  But actually, Dew, you can only pair one set of bluetooth headphones at a time (The ones supplied with the 800, in turn, can be paired with both the detector and your phone).  The multiple paired wireless headphone option only works with the Wi Stream (i.e., not bluetooth) WM08 module (up to 4 simultaneously).  So if you want to do that, you have to purchase additional WM08 modules, unfortunately.  And if we knew price and availability of accessories, we could judge whether it is worth it if say you are teaching a detector class or using them as a source of clean wireless detector audio into your action cam.   See the online manual starting with p.55.  One thing that I haven't figured out (can't find it in the manual as a definitive yes or no statement) is whether you can pair the ML08 bluetooth headphones and a WM08 module simultaneously which would be a "free" way to do what you want to do with one of the grandkids or a detecting partner.  I put this question in my "Parking Lot" question thread, so if anyone has an answer post it here or there and I will link back to the post. HTH.

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

One thing that I haven't figured out (can't find it in the manual as a definitive yes or no statement) is whether you can pair the ML08 bluetooth headphones and a WM08 module simultaneously

Answered previously at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5096-what-are-aptx-low-latency-headphones/?do=findComment&comment=53249

• Thanks 1

Steve,

Many thanks.  Did you figure out that “important info” in the link regarding non-simultaneous WiStream/Bluetooth through your testing or was supplemental info provided?  I ask because I sure can’t find that in the manual.   My reading comprehension is bad and I have not read every word in the manual (in other words I may be overlooking something), but the closest I found the manual comes to alluding to the above is that it mentions that the Eq will attempt to pair with a WM08 module first and failing that will look for a BT device.  Your info is clear as crystal on that issue.  Apparently gotta keep that search button handy for your old info posts if I can’t find the answer in the manual.

I am not reading things into the manual that are not there. Can you find anything anywhere that specifically says you can use both Bluetooth and the WM 08 at the same time? The manual describes how to pair to the WM 08 or how to pair to Bluetooth. Nowhere does it describe how to pair to both simultaneously. Further, on page 56 of the Instruction Manual:

”It is not possible to operate both the WM 08 and Bluetooth® headphones at the same time.”

You tech gurus catch the things that ole guys like me miss.   So ..... are you guys saying any additional LIKE devices like headphones will require their own WM08 which must be purchased separately ..... and the max number of WM08's is 4?   But you can use say a cell phone and headphones at the same time?   I see on page 57 it say .....

"The ML80 can be paired with 2 devices at once so you can also pair them with your smart phone."   

I guess the last part explains why you cant do two pairs of headphones on the same ML80...... because it shuts off if you get a phone call thus both pairs of headphones cant receive signals at the same time. 

Steve,

Was just trying to verify you can’t do it to ensure I gave a complete and correct answer to Dew.  Not something I planned on doing.  Yeah, I missed that.  That’s the statement I was looking for.  Logically expected to see it in a blue box  or pairing instructions not in the unpairing instructions.  Regardless, it is there.  My bad. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 5:17 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The wireless headphones included with the Equinox 800 are not waterproof or particularly water resistant in any way. This is where the WM08 stuck in a pocket or otherwise protected comes into play.

minelab-equinox-wm-08-audio-module.jpg

What adapter is being used with WM 08 in the picture? It isn't the ML 3011-0369 adapter cable. I'd like to purchase a shorter adapter cable or just plain adapter without a cable so I can use a pair of Sunray headphones with the WM 08 without having a lot of extra cable to deal with. Also does the adapter have to be a mono plug into the WM 08 and stereo to the 1/4" plugged headphones in order for it to work? Stereo to stereo adapters don't work with either pair of older headphones that I own.

1 hour ago, Aurum said:

What adapter is being used with WM 08 in the picture?

That would be the one on the end of the wired headphones that come with the Equinox 600. No adapter at all.

3011-0364-Headphones-3.5mm-wired-minelab

There is the Minelab adapter available now at some dealers.....

3011-0369-Headphone-Adaptor-Cable-EQUINO

Connect 6.3mm (1/4-inch) headphones to your detector or WM 08 Module with this handy adaptor. The 3.5mm (1/8-inch) end forms a waterproof connection so that the cable can be submersed- note that the 6.3mm (1/4-inch) end is not waterproof. Part No. 3011-0369 $40.00

The Minelab adapter is designed to create a waterproof seal to the detector itself for wading. The cable is 24" long. It will also work with the WM08.

Or as you noted a 1/8" male mono to 1/4" stereo converter will insure that most headphones will work properly. Otherwise you may get sound in only one ear. You can find these as a third party option and for less cost than the Minelab version, but the connection to the detector will not be waterproof. Way less money for above water use however at less than $10. The one pictured below has been reported as a working alternative and can be purchased online at Amazon for $6.99 delivered.

equinox-audio-adapter-cable-minelab.jpg

• Like 1