Best Coin Detector Suggestions

Most Hi-Tech, most user friendly, understanding that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best, and if it had to be the ONLY one you own.

GO!

FISHER CZ-5

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Minelab Etrac

+2

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for taking the time. So Mine Lab it is. Not sure which one yet, how many coils, etc. but for what I'm ultimately trying to do, and my penchant for choosing a brand and sticking with it, all arrows are pointing to Mine Lab. Now to figure out which package. I hope to have this settled, and my first detector purchased by the end of February. 

2 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Minelab etrac with about 3 differnent coils of different sizes.

Sorry for my ignorance, but which coils, and what function would each perform?

I have had both the Etrac and the 3030 and they are both great machines, but the 5 tone mode where you have 4 tones for conductivity and 1 tone for high Fe content has mad a huge difference in how I find coins and relics in parks.  I hunt with a wide open screen on the 3030 and I had to discriminate with the Etrac.  There is a huge cost difference in them, but in the last 4 years of 3030 ownership I have seen the value.  I like being able to go snorkeling with it and the ability to map your hunts and mark where you found a keeper has been valuable to me too.

As for the different sized coils they allow you to go deeper on smaller targets with a bigger coil, or get better desperation of targets with a smaller coil.  The minelabs use a DD coil that basically send out a D shaped blade of RF into the ground and when you change the size of the coil you change the size of the "blade" being broadcast from your coil.  If you are in a trashy area, too many targets can get under the big coil and it will be like driving at night in the fog with your high beams on, so you can go with a smaller coil to avoid this.  The smaller comes at the cost of depth and ground cover.  Ground cover is important because you need to overlap your swings so you dont miss targets.  I am guilty of getting sloppy and not overlapping well and my son or hunting buddy will find something I missed.  It wasnt the machines fault, because I go and swing over it and the machine rings out.

Good luck with your new machine and happy hunting!!!!

4 years of tracking targets at a local farm, all relics, buttons, or coins:

image.png.09e19a9c34fe64da58c3834f570d74f7.png

• Like 1