Most Hi-Tech, most user friendly, understanding that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best, and if it had to be the ONLY one you own.

GO!

FISHER CZ-5

• Like 1

Nokta Impact for my type of hunting. Waiting to see how the Minelab Equinox and Makro Kruzer work for me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Minelab Etrac

+2

• Like 1

Minelab etrac with about 3 differnent coils of different sizes.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for taking the time. So Mine Lab it is. Not sure which one yet, how many coils, etc. but for what I'm ultimately trying to do, and my penchant for choosing a brand and sticking with it, all arrows are pointing to Mine Lab. Now to figure out which package. I hope to have this settled, and my first detector purchased by the end of February. 

2 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Minelab etrac with about 3 differnent coils of different sizes.

Sorry for my ignorance, but which coils, and what function would each perform?

I have had both the Etrac and the 3030 and they are both great machines, but the 5 tone mode where you have 4 tones for conductivity and 1 tone for high Fe content has mad a huge difference in how I find coins and relics in parks.  I hunt with a wide open screen on the 3030 and I had to discriminate with the Etrac.  There is a huge cost difference in them, but in the last 4 years of 3030 ownership I have seen the value.  I like being able to go snorkeling with it and the ability to map your hunts and mark where you found a keeper has been valuable to me too.

As for the different sized coils they allow you to go deeper on smaller targets with a bigger coil, or get better desperation of targets with a smaller coil.  The minelabs use a DD coil that basically send out a D shaped blade of RF into the ground and when you change the size of the coil you change the size of the "blade" being broadcast from your coil.  If you are in a trashy area, too many targets can get under the big coil and it will be like driving at night in the fog with your high beams on, so you can go with a smaller coil to avoid this.  The smaller comes at the cost of depth and ground cover.  Ground cover is important because you need to overlap your swings so you dont miss targets.  I am guilty of getting sloppy and not overlapping well and my son or hunting buddy will find something I missed.  It wasnt the machines fault, because I go and swing over it and the machine rings out.

Good luck with your new machine and happy hunting!!!!

4 years of tracking targets at a local farm, all relics, buttons, or coins:

image.png.09e19a9c34fe64da58c3834f570d74f7.png

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Here is a pic of my Equinox.
      She is well used.
      Notice the scratches on protective  film on screen.

• By Andreas Schwendener
      Hi everybody,
      I'm a swiss prospector. I use shovel. sluice, pan, pry bars and crevice tools in creeks in Switzerland and Alaska. Till now, I had a Whites GMT VLF detector, to check my spots after I worked them, i.e. to check if I missed some gold. I rarely go prospecting with a detector on large areas, like the aussie or US pros. Now I broke my GMT (after 10 years). I have three options for replacement:
      - a new Whites GMT, i.e. staying with VLF
      - SDC 2300
      - GPZ 7000 (I could buy a used one from a friend)
      It seems to me, the GMT and SDC are better for my application, as they have small coils and are light etc. When I check my spots in the creeks, its often narrow between rocks etc. and I'm not able to make large sweeps with the coil. But the GPZ obviously is far better in depth.
      My question: Is the GPZ also practical for detecting in creeks between rocks etc, as I described above? Or is it only practical to detect large areas like the aussie or US pros?
      Many thanks in advance for your appreciated advice!
      Andreas
    • By Creekboy
      Hi there folks, I have been prospecting for the better part of two years now (I’m 23) and have for the most part stuck to my grandparents property in California finding pickers and occasional small nuggets. I’m now living in Eugene going to school at the university and trying to find the time to get out and put my SDC to work. From what I have heard there is pretty great gold in Southern Oregon and I’m just putting the feelers out to see if anyone might have some useful advise or resources that could point me in the right direction. I’d also like to start making connections with folks in the community so feel free to let me know if you would like to let a young guy tag along or if you have a need for a big truck 
      -Hayden 
    • By phrunt
      I was out detecting with my Equinox and had a solid 21-22 on the VDI numbers, it never flicked off those numbers, it was down about 15 cm's.  I dug it up expecting a NZ $1 or $2 coin, both come up the same numbers.
      I was puzzled when what I ended up finding was a rock looking object
      This is it next to an older NZ 10c coin I found only minutes before hand

To me it looks more like a rock than a bit of metal, I tried to hit it as hard as I could with a hammer to see if it was a chunk of lead or something thinking that would flatten it, it didn't make a mark on it. I then hit it with the back flat end of my Log splitter thinking this will surely do some damage to it, but no, it didn't leave a mark, all it did is cracked the concrete under the mystery object.  This thing is extremely tough.
      It weighs 17 grams and feels quite heavy for it's size and not magnetic.
      What could it possibly be? 

• By Cal_Cobra
      Called my usual dealer, Backwoods, and no eta at all on when he'll get them.
      Anyone know any dealers to check with? 

TIA!
      Cal
    • By vive equinox
      I wonder that because i read To put sensivity To 1 before pump GB is better . 
      I dont belive but anyone know about that ?