Sign in to follow this  
DukeBoxer

Compadre On Basalt(?) Rocks

TabZilla, I watched all your videos about the mods you did, I especially like the waterproofing idea! Luckily I work somewhere where there are many many engineers and I have already talked to a couple about helping add the ground balance and sensitivity potentiometers. I just wish I could find a detailed how to with parts used and solder points and all that info. I'm sure these guys could figure it out easily but I like to be thorough and know exactly what needs to be done.

Steve, I hate reading someones problem and then at the end it says "Ok I fixed it" with no explanation. That defeats the purpose, I think, of having an informational forum. Anyway I've been out a couple of times with it and this thing is a coin shooters dream! I had it on max disc and was swinging pretty fast on a little slope at a park and every single repeatable, full tone hit I got was a coin! The obly thing now that I can't seem to get to work is the double beep next to metal posts. I think that might have something to do with the sensitivity and that I turned it up pretty high but I'll explore that more if and when I do the mods. Otherwise this thing is absolutely amazing and it was a steal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DukeBoxer said:

TabZilla, I watched all your videos about the mods you did, I especially like the waterproofing idea! Luckily I work somewhere where there are many many engineers and I have already talked to a couple about helping add the ground balance and sensitivity potentiometers. I just wish I could find a detailed how to with parts used and solder points and all that info. I'm sure these guys could figure it out easily but I like to be thorough and know exactly what needs to be done.

Steve, I hate reading someones problem and then at the end it says "Ok I fixed it" with no explanation. That defeats the purpose, I think, of having an informational forum. Anyway I've been out a couple of times with it and this thing is a coin shooters dream! I had it on max disc and was swinging pretty fast on a little slope at a park and every single repeatable, full tone hit I got was a coin! The obly thing now that I can't seem to get to work is the double beep next to metal

As far as the sensitivity and GB mods, a little google searching and combing through forum threads and you'll find enough info to get it done. 

As for the double beep next to playground/fence posts. All metal / minimum disc works the best.  Just take a dime and a small piece of jewelry with you to the park or metal fence post at home and test it out.  It is all about the sweep speed. 

I was trying with a dime and not getting it to do the double beep but I may have been a little above iron. I'll check again with lower disc. Yesterday I dug everything that beeped in the playground and rolled the disc up and back down to try and guess what was under the coil. Most of the time I was right about something being garbage or a good target by listening how the sound came back in after getting disc'ed out but one thing did catch me off guard. I dug a target that disc'ed out right above iron and came back in solid and I thought it was just a nail or something but when i dug it, it was a little junk earring. Everyone that has one says the same thing, it's amazing on the playgrounds and hits just as hard on the tiniest pieces of metal.

For such a simple inexpensive machine the Compadre has a loyal following because it does get the job done.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Johnnysalami1957
      I found a Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax, the old one with the red pinpoint button. Has a 8" coil and looks to be in good shape 150.00 with a cheesy pinpointer. Any thoughts for making it a backseat toy?
      Update!
      I got it for 100 bucks and it's like brand new! My wife grabbed it and now it's hers. I put a fiber lower rod on it with a nylon coil bolt and it works great. She has a treasure pro and this is lighter for her and easier to operate. It's the small box one Steve like the modern silver uMax.But with an all metal pinpoint button and a threshold control. I'm trying to talk my sister out of her unused Compadre but for some reason it likes the closet at her house.
    • By Fskafish
      I just havent been able to find the sweet spot on my vaquero ground balance the last couple times i used it cant seem to find that constant hum, either to negative or to positive, can someone help me out?
    • By Tiftaaft
      At least on this day.  
      While I anxiously await the release of the Equinox and probably even more painfully, my position on the pre-order list... I am continuing to enjoy my Vaq Black.  
      I, and a hunting partner, decided to cover a sports field next to an early 40's elementary school a week ago.  I armed myself with my SE Pro, and he with his Deus... and we overlapped each others paths more than one time in the grass outfield of an old ballfield.  After a couple hours of hunting, a handful of clad and one wheat in my pocket, I made my way back to the car, and grabbed the Vaquero. 
      I am certain I covered the same ground we had both walked over in the hours before, but I was getting solid hits in the coin area and pocketing some more clad, including 2 pocket spills that included a quarter and a nickel among the coins.... which is interesting in itself (I believe the combination of low and high conductors changed the id, and one or both of us passed on the targets...).  
      I then came across a solid tone, and uncovered some beautiful silver.  :)  I know that one silver quarter is slim pickin's compared to some of the other finds posted across the forums... but for me.. it was a pretty amazing find.  Within 10 minutes, I snagged the silver ring as well.  A good day for the Vaq Black :)

• By osbod007
      I've been in the hunt mode to find and acquire one of the rare 3X18  Delta 4 pin Hot Technology cleansweep coils for about 3 years. Finally got my hands on one.  These coils have been out of production for about a decade and they're about as rare as 'hen's teeth'.  Tesoro still makes the Cleansweep in the 5 pin Epsilon configuration but not the 4 pin Delta .  Mating this coil up to my Lobo Supertraq has provided me with some interesting observations.   Generally speaking it does cover a large swath of ground with each sweep, but the sweep speed has to be slowed down to say 1/2 to 2/3 of the speed of the stock 6x10 elliptical coil to get a good target response.   My best depth was a measured 5 inches on a quarter on edge.  It pinpoints fairly well off both the toe and the heel, but I do a full circle of the target to make sure the target is within my 6 inch cut plug.  The coil discriminates very well.       Now the interesting stuff.  First, it does not fully ground balance in the All metal mode. Pumping the coil down and up, it sounds off loud on the down push and does not respond on the up pull.  However, it is still functional in the AM mode, targets are still picked up clearly and the pinpoint function still works.   Both modes, All Metal and Discriminate achieve the same depth.  I ran the Sensitivity at a gain of 3, more gain didn't achieve any more depth.  In All Metal with a smooth threshold the coil ran stable and only responded to ground tracking and targets. In Silent Search Discriminate (setting of 3 1/2) the coil had at times a propensity to load up and give off erratic chatter, it also sounded off on 'bumping'.   I found the best way to run the coil was in AM and upon locating a target I would do a quick switch to Disc. to determine to dig or not to dig.  I will do some further testing but I believe I have found it's boundary limitations. A good coil, it just has some quirks.  I would imagine this would be more stable on a Vaquero.
    • By TennesseeDigger
      Depth isn’t everything. I prefer recovery speed over depth really, but I was in Virginia recently and dug a 10 inch wheat and thought... wow. Really? 
      So I supertuned the Vaquero and it was able to hit a 15 inch quarter!
      Now I caught some heat on other forums posting this and folks saying no way and on my 15” coin it was jumping. It was around the hole and due to EMI but the coin is a repeatable beep. I normally don’t hunt with the Vaquero but Man is it a deep machine!

• By Vincent
      ...I've got a Tesoro Mohave coming in (after using the Minelab 305 last year, and the Tesoro SilverMax a few years back)(oh, and also a Teknetics EuroTec--arrggg)...the Mohave has a Ground Condition switch, and I'm curious about mineralization in southwest high desert (specifically central NM)--is it generally high or low mineralization, though I realize there's quite a varied geology in NM?  PS: chose the Mohave from Tesoro's lineup because I figured a new machine equals new and better circuitry, and ditto the Epsilon 7" coil.  What say?