Hacking The White's V3i

It would certainly take a lot of dedication and skills that exceed any I currently have. I also have no interest in dealing with China hackers. I'd just like to see the V3i able to communicate with other V3is, a PC and vice versa. As many machines as have passed through my hands, the V3i is a machine that I do not plan to part with for the foreseeable future. I just love the whole concept and wish it were taken a little further. I am baffled however at the talent Whites has let get away from their stables. I don't quite understand it. I can easily see a day where FT sits on top of the heap. The talent is there and now the facility is there. I wish you and everyone there all the best Geotech. Big admirer of the work you guys have done.

• Like 2

All that hacking is fun for those of you that want to tinker with codes etc. Since I bought my E-Trac my V3i has been benched for the most part.. I spent 3 yrs learning the V3i and on my 2nd yr with the Etrac. I pretty much just like to work with what you have while in the field detecting.. 

I am amazed to see how many people are into the hacking. Actually I think it is cool but not for me

• 6 months later...

Guess who just bought two fully functional non-updated V3s? This guy! My purpose is multi-fold. I'm curious to see the peer to peer data coms in action. So I'm going to load one full of all the popular programs, plus the ones that work great for me here. Then I'll transfer them from one to the other. Next I want to compare and contrast one of these V3 models with my own V3i to see if there really is a difference between the tracking and ground balance ability from the V3 to the V3i as some have suggested. I want to compare them in other performance tests as well. Where I'll take them from there I'm not sure. A local technical institute instructor is fascinated by these models and their ability to communicate wirelessly. I could keep them both and sell my V3i, or I could sell them to a hunting duo. I may even decide to try different keypad combinations to access hidden menus I'm assured exist. Any way you look at it, fun will be had haha.  

• Like 3

I kind of realized the significance of what I was purchasing at the time, but it wasn't until your last post that it really hit me how unique an opportunity this is and how much can be learned from it. It's not often I see a V3 that hasn't been updated, and when I do it's never priced like these were, and never in pairs. Anyone that would have them in a pair or singly likely wouldn't know the history behind them or the significance of putting two together. Here not only do I have two original V3s in the same room, but also a V3i to contrast them with. When you're into flipping electronics it's always tempting to move everything along quickly to keep the capital freed up, and there's a good chunk to be made here, but any thought of doing that before I get some answers for the whole community is now gone. I think I have a better perspective on the responsibility of having these stars aligned. So if you or anyone else have any requests or ideas for testing and comparison etc., feel free. This is going to be a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

One idea I'm having is the possibility of hybriding, where it might be possible to affix a V3 box to my V3i. They can share coils and screens, if I could afix them back to back or even build an expanded box two accommodate both boards with splitters and a switch it would be possible to toggle back and forth between them. If there truly were a significant difference in tracking/ground balance between them, if whites slowed the tracking in the i update as has been suggested, in harsh or changing terrain I could toggle to the V3 board. If I could sell the other V3 to a hunting buddy later down the road when I'm done with all my experiments (or if I could convince my gf she is a treasure hunter too Haha) we would be able to use the peer to peer data. Personally I think if Whites were thinking outside the box they could hybrid many machines. Who wouldn't want a machine where you could toggle back and forth between an MXT and V3i for example. Or a DFX and V3i, MXT and DFX. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another step forward - how to use the Signal probe function to repair a coil that is out of signal tolerance ... I degraded the signal value below half the value and removed the overload ...

september 5 iphone5S 2018 039_DxO.jpg

• Like 1

I assume the headphones are running on unlicensed 2.4GHz, and that the data stream is not encrypted (wouldn't make a lot of sense to encrypt it), so if those assumptions are correct, you could simply use a wireless sniffer to see what's being xmited between the V3's.  Heck even if it is encrypted, it's so old, that the encryption method was likely cracked years ago. 

19 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I assume the headphones are running on unlicensed 2.4GHz, and that the data stream is not encrypted (wouldn't make a lot of sense to encrypt it), so if those assumptions are correct, you could simply use a wireless sniffer to see what's being xmited between the V3's.  Heck even if it is encrypted, it's so old, that the encryption method was likely cracked years ago. 

You may be on to something there. I have been thinking about a jailbreak app on iPhone I remember that did just that. It may have even been called "Sniffer." I still have those V3s and need to jailbreak this iPhone and we may have it. I've been distracted by a kayak trolling motor project and modding a couple old Whites Classics, but the V3s are on my short list. I'm not letting them go until I've recorded ground balance comparisons with the V3i and have done my best to capture the code they use to transfer programs etc.  

Just a quick search of tools available through an iOS Jailbreak on Cydia or on an Android device gives me hope that I could extract the code using a sniffer app and use a code generator to communicate with them or construct an interface they would be able to communicate with. Who knows, these days a dongle may not even be a necessary medium. Program aides and simulators have come a long way since the V3 was envisioned and brought to market.