Hacking The White's V3i

10 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

You may be on to something there. I have been thinking about a jailbreak app on iPhone I remember that did just that. It may have even been called "Sniffer." I still have those V3s and need to jailbreak this iPhone and we may have it. I've been distracted by a kayak trolling motor project and modding a couple old Whites Classics, but the V3s are on my short list. I'm not letting them go until I've recorded ground balance comparisons with the V3i and have done my best to capture the code they use to transfer programs etc.  

Maybe sometime you could start another thread about your kayak trolling motor project, it sounds interesting. I pondered doing it myself a few times.

1 hour ago, Alluminati said:

Maybe sometime you could start another thread about your kayak trolling motor project, it sounds interesting. I pondered doing it myself a few times.

I will do that. My intent is actually treasure hunting related. I plan to use it for waterway hunts and magnet fishing.

Right on man. I use them for detecting as well.

I just got a new one this year and haven't properly rigged it out yet, always looking for ideas.

That is a great opportunity for magnet fishing, good idea. I also want to detect more of the smaller waterways around here as I believe that these were the streets and highways of the fur trade era. I would love to find a canoe dump full of relics and silver, or even just stumble across unknown swimming holes etc.

20 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

Right on man. I use them for detecting as well.

I just got a new one this year and haven't properly rigged it out yet, always looking for ideas.

That is a great opportunity for magnet fishing, good idea. I also want to detect more of the smaller waterways around here as I believe that these were the streets and highways of the fur trade era. I would love to find a canoe dump full of relics and silver, or even just stumble across unknown swimming holes etc.

I started a topic. Forgot to link to it, but I'm sure it you search "kayak" it will come right up. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cipher, 

What did you find out?    I have had both V3i models and V3 models.   I currently only run the non-updated V3 just because of the ground cancelling.   I can ground cancel the V3 in two or three pumps, where the V3i might take 12 or more pumps to ground balance.

Of course I'd like to have the other features of the V3i.....but I hate standing around pumping the coil.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 7:40 PM, ☠ Cipher said:

Guess who just bought two fully functional non-updated V3s? This guy! My purpose is multi-fold. I'm curious to see the peer to peer data coms in action. So I'm going to load one full of all the popular programs, plus the ones that work great for me here. Then I'll transfer them from one to the other. Next I want to compare and contrast one of these V3 models with my own V3i to see if there really is a difference between the tracking and ground balance ability from the V3 to the V3i as some have suggested. I want to compare them in other performance tests as well. Where I'll take them from there I'm not sure. A local technical institute instructor is fascinated by these models and their ability to communicate wirelessly. I could keep them both and sell my V3i, or I could sell them to a hunting duo. I may even decide to try different keypad combinations to access hidden menus I'm assured exist. Any way you look at it, fun will be had haha.  

Any success with this project?  I almost went the V3i route some years back, but ended up with the Etrac, instead.  The V3/i still intrigues me, but I'll probably wait until Whites comes out with the next version with faster hardware. 

Too bad the V3 user base is so small.  If it were a popular computer or even Android phone, we'd probably have a variety of cracked and maybe even rewritten open source versions of the software floating around.  As it is, it probably requires a very determined individual with the right skill set and a lot of free time to disassemble and reverse engineer the code.  I like Steve's idea of Whites being forthcoming and opening up the detector and its software to hobbyists, but that is probably even less likely to happen, alas.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 8:02 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

I assume the headphones are running on unlicensed 2.4GHz, and that the data stream is not encrypted (wouldn't make a lot of sense to encrypt it), so if those assumptions are correct, you could simply use a wireless sniffer to see what's being xmited between the V3's.  Heck even if it is encrypted, it's so old, that the encryption method was likely cracked years ago. 

Stupid Question,  if I buy a pair of wireless 2.4GHz lightweight headphones, would they connect with the V3i?