Iron Bias - What It Is

Low Iron Bias is not decrease a short coinage signal in long iron, or a nail type  --- o --- o --- o --- o ---, the large iron bias is partially or fully signal  decrease from the coin. it is not so much a problem with a short signal of iron, nail,   and coins in terms of  type :  I o I o l o l o I  .  For a high recovery rate - very short iron and coin signals, use of low iron  bias  will not the  decrease signal of coin in iron. Iron bias also suppresses the short signs of mineralization of the ground, EMI, but also deep and weak signals of coins in the ground.

• Like 4

From what I gather, iron bias is a filter that determines how much an iffy signal is going to be identified as iron. A setting of zero is basicly filter off. That means an iffy target is more likely to id as non-ferrous. If you are trying to disc out iron, this taget will not be disced out. If you set the iron bias to six, the filter is on to the max setting, and the same iffy target will id as ferrous. Now this target will be discriminated out. At a setting of six, with iron discriminated out, you will only hear signals from tagets that are within the non-ferrous range. Borderline ferrous/non-ferrous targets TID will be biased to the iron TID range and will disc out. I assume it is a means to address "iron falsing".

In some extent, the extent of iron bias can be considered as still effective ... the aim is to remove  false signals from the iron ... and it is sufficiently separating properties

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think it is similar to Deus Silencer?

A silencer control is aimed at muting the high fq iron responses that are from large targets overwhelming the disc c--circuitry--actual wraparounds.  To some extent it also smooths out the crackle of small iron in the ground that a high gain circuit amplifies. Iron Bias is more of a filter that raises the level of what the detector assigns as consistent versus inconsistent.  I've worked places in the Caribbean where there were so many rusted coin that you could dig them all day--especially where there is a strip-out-- so this feature is a welcome addition. 

cjc

Yes....Iron bias..-minelab...=...bottle cap reject..-whites...=silencer..-xp deus...=...mask iron-rutus....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, cjc said:

Do you think it is similar to Deus Silencer?

A silencer control is aimed at muting the high fq iron responses that are from large targets overwhelming the disc c--circuitry--actual wraparounds.  To some extent it also smooths out the crackle of small iron in the ground that a high gain circuit amplifies. Iron Bias is more of a filter that raises the level of what the detector assigns as consistent versus inconsistent.  I've worked places in the Caribbean where there were so many rusted coin that you could dig them all day--especially where there is a strip-out-- so this feature is a welcome addition. 

cjc

Glad you mention the Deus, in my use a silencer setting of 0 to -1 suited best for the ground I hunt in especially when depth was my goal.  Surprisingly this setting worked very well in the red/orange clay of Virginia and on many occasions when the target was 5+" in depth a silencer setting above 2 caused a very choppy, inconsistent audio over a setting of -1.  Just my 2 cents.. 

• 1 year later...

I like to run iron bias at 0 when hunting relics or coins in the dirt.  I find it to be only marginally effective at reducing falsing, and as with any filter, huge potential downside at potentially masking non-ferrous, especially in thick iron.

That being said, at the beach I can take it or leave it.  Not a lot of falsing iron (bottlecaps give themselves away with highly unstable target IDs and ferrous grunts when wiggling of them, so iron bias is a moot point), low iron density where I hunt, and as a result little chance of ferrous masking so I just keep IB at the default setting when in beach mode on wet or dry sand or shallow surf.  HTH.

• Like 1

I started using the Nox 800 in Park 1 with the factory setting of 6 on the I/B. Most all my detecting is now done around old home sites, lots, and ghost town sites. As I became more familiar with the Nox, I started lowering the I/B gradually and now only run it at "0". I found that by running the lower I/B that I could go back to areas I had hunted before and continue to pull more non-ferrous each time I lowered it. I dig a little more iron now but the unmasking benefit makes it worth it to me. If I was traveling and only had the opportunity to hit a spot once, I'd increase the I/B to basically cherry pick it, but I feel the lower the I/B the better, if you don't want to miss anything. 

I've been detecting for about 45 years and my hearing is still very good. I most always hunt with the disc set a zero or with the horseshoe button engaged. I make most all my dig or no-dig decisions on what I hear. The meter comes into play on those signals that my ears can't decipher. Most of the time, I'm looking for reasons to dig a target, not reasons to not dig it.

If I'm hunting a modern park and looking for clad and jewelry, I set the I/B at 6 but around iron infested sites I'll run the I/B at zero with my first tone break set to zero and my first bin volume also set to zero. I don't need to hear the iron "to keep me on the site" as the sites go from this fence to that fence, or I can just keep a look out for rusted cans. 
That's how I do it, anyone else?

• Like 3