What Can A 3mm 10k White Gold 4 Prong Earring Stud Tell You?

Mike your settings in Test  for Spectra for  6x4 shooter?,Rx  gain, Ds  , recovery speed,and ground filter?, thanks...

• Like 1

Thanks for the micro information.  I too know and understand how good the F75 really is.  I think the Gold Kruzer, coin the phrase, might just be your gold ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update,,,,come to find out the Gold Kruzer isn't really a micro jewelry detector.   Small jewelry was ok, but micro jewelry was out.   I know....unexpected but true.   Texkenzie on Tom D' site did the testing for me and it fell flat.     

The EQ800 with the 6" concentric tested well, as did the ORX, but the Gold Kruzer couldn't compete.

So I'm looking at Whites GM 24K, it seems to be very promising.   Hopefully I'll be able to order one soon.

HH
Mike

• Like 6

Mike,  The White's 24K has no issues with Micro jewelry in my testing soils.  Here is my efforts from 2 well used volley ball courts.  These finds were with my initial prototype 24K before the final product came out.  Also notice the small ear ring backs & tiny #9 dove shot in the 2nd photo. Yes the EQ-800 will do well too. 

Glad that you learned this now and not wasting another year.  It is very important for folks to actually test their detectors on the exact targets they wish to find.  So many people like to skip that part and just assume.

Great lesson learned and glad you had the gonads to admit it.  Keep on testing and you'll find more.

24KVB1.jpg

24KVB2.jpg

• Like 9

It is a surprise to see the Gold Kruzer does not get micro. I have been hunting micro the last three seasons with a Makro Gold Racer and can say for sure that it will find anything Gerry shows on that 24K. The Gold Racer is a remarkable machine that way, I will never go back to lower frequency machines nor even those in 15-20 kHz that are so popular.

I have a Gold Racer, a Gold Bug II, and a Compadre these days. For Micro, nothing so far has beat the GBII, but the Gold Racer is more flexible. Look up where Steve talks about blind squirrel hunting. A pinpointer and a screwdriver in the park after recent drops is great fun.

The first year was a struggle with micro, but good finds. There were some things that helped me sort the high frequency detectors out, and now I will never return to general, or even plain, jewelry detecting.

1) The already mentioned Steve blind squirrel concept

2) Keith Southern has a video on YouTube somewhere running a really trashy site with a really noisy detector. Everything looked maxed out and the thing made so much noise I could not figure out how he made sense of anything, but he did. I took that, coupled with what Steve said about running the GR hot, and eventually made it work for me. 

3) Look at how Tom Dankowski sets up a GBII to hunt micro, then see how that sounds hunting. Noisy. For me, learning to hunt noisy made a big difference.

4) Hunting a noisy detector means it is necessary to learn what good targets sound like awash in a sea of trash. Clive James Clynick describes that better than anyone, and he pretty much says it over and over in every one of his books. For micro, is it the key to not going nuts digging a lot of foil and iron.

5) All metal mode all the time on the GR.

I have never run, or even seen, a Gold Kruzer so take all this for what it is worth. I have the GR just below that frequency by the same company, and the GBII at just over by a different company. Set up properly both find micro with ease, it does not make sense to me that the Gold Kruzer does not.

This year I will add a PI, and for the same reason the prospectors do. Some places will just not work with a high frequency detector VLF. Kind of waiting to see what Fisher comes up with, but there are a couple other things to look at there. I went micro in a big way, and now am going further, and will never go back. Any prospector gets that.

Macro Gold Racer is an awesome Detector. I’m not a micro jewelry hunter but I did witness its ability to be one. Check out this photo of small finds that were made while coin hunting with the big 15” coil. The thing I remember about it was the sea of tiny signals you could hear. The good stuff just really jumped out at you so you were able to ignore the tiny pieces of foil and such. Great audio detector. The ability to punch deep on Coins was surprising too considering it’s frequency. Both of these coins were very deep.

Bryan

EE8C9F44-F550-496A-AFD1-795D88A0D531.jpeg

328B57A1-5744-49AD-9B95-0EE3B8D1B544.jpeg

B23FE67C-AF57-44C2-BE41-79046FFDC148.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SLGuin said:

It is a surprise to see the Gold Kruzer does not get micro. I have been hunting micro the last three seasons with a Makro Gold Racer and can say for sure that it will find anything Gerry shows on that 24K. The Gold Racer is a remarkable machine that way, I will never go back to lower frequency machines nor even those in 15-20 kHz that are so popular.

I have a Gold Racer, a Gold Bug II, and a Compadre these days. For Micro, nothing so far has beat the GBII, but the Gold Racer is more flexible. Look up where Steve talks about blind squirrel hunting. A pinpointer and a screwdriver in the park after recent drops is great fun.

The first year was a struggle with micro, but good finds. There were some things that helped me sort the high frequency detectors out, and now I will never return to general, or even plain, jewelry detecting.

1) The already mentioned Steve blind squirrel concept

2) Keith Southern has a video on YouTube somewhere running a really trashy site with a really noisy detector. Everything looked maxed out and the thing made so much noise I could not figure out how he made sense of anything, but he did. I took that, coupled with what Steve said about running the GR hot, and eventually made it work for me. 

3) Look at how Tom Dankowski sets up a GBII to hunt micro, then see how that sounds hunting. Noisy. For me, learning to hunt noisy made a big difference.

4) Hunting a noisy detector means it is necessary to learn what good targets sound like awash in a sea of trash. Clive James Clynick describes that better than anyone, and he pretty much says it over and over in every one of his books. For micro, is it the key to not going nuts digging a lot of foil and iron.

5) All metal mode all the time on the GR.

I have never run, or even seen, a Gold Kruzer so take all this for what it is worth. I have the GR just below that frequency by the same company, and the GBII at just over by a different company. Set up properly both find micro with ease, it does not make sense to me that the Gold Kruzer does not.

This year I will add a PI, and for the same reason the prospectors do. Some places will just not work with a high frequency detector VLF. Kind of waiting to see what Fisher comes up with, but there are a couple other things to look at there. I went micro in a big way, and now am going further, and will never go back. Any prospector gets that.

There are many other detectors than can get Micro Jewelry and even the new Pulse Induction machine by White's " TDI Beach Hunter" in salt water was very impressive on my last hunt with it. 

Realize many people do not post photos of finds and long term well known manufactures of detectors will have many more folks out there promoting and supporting the same models they use/own.

Bottom line is that is you have a medium/high kHz detector and know how to use it, the opportunities is there.  Learning the detector and what to listen for is key.

Photo of finds was my 1st hunt with TDI beach Hunter in salt water.  (warning, having the right recovery tools is key) to finding stud ear rings.

DSCN0371.JPG

DSCN0377.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Those are pretty impressive finds Gerry. The TDI-BH seems to really work for you! Would you say it is as sensitive to small items as the ATX? Some more information on the recovery method you use would be an interesting thread to read too. Sorry to go off topic. 

I have found a bit of small earings with my Tejon while out coin shooting. It does pick up better on small bb sized stuff than my AT Pro. Probably the coil has a lot to do with it. Need a nice day and get it outdoors to do an air test because inside I am picking up pipes, cabinets etc and it gets chattery.

Indoor test I had a small earing that picked up at 9 1/2"

Really thin gold plate ring almost like a wire rang in 10 1/2 on the side and 9 or so on edge.

I have a beefy 14k gold ring and a 925 ring about the same size.

Gold ring 12" on side, 11" on edge

Silver ring 13 1/2" on side, 10 1/2" on edge

I set the sensitivity on the regular max and not the overload which will add an inch or so on depth. Most cases the absolute max sensitivity gets unstable around here as some the parks out here have under ground wires and irrigation pipes. I also had the machine in vco (all metal) mode.

I think a concentric coil with a small center and large diameter overall will get you good depth/discrimination combination. Maybe that is why the some the Whites and Tesoros do well with small targets? I have become more of a fan of the concentrics over dd. Would be nice if other manufacturers adapted these coil designs to their machines. I would snag one for my AT in a heart beat and hit some the swim holes around here.