What Can A 3mm 10k White Gold 4 Prong Earring Stud Tell You?

I use a Tesoro Mojave for tiny jewelry hunting.  Playgrounds, sports fields and fitness trails around the exercise equipment.  Always jokingly call it “urban prospecting” because most of the gold I find is tiny broken bits of clasps, chains and earrings.  Here’s a little 10k clasp from yesterday. Unfortunately didn’t find any of the chain. 

C6F3E0BA-FC2A-4959-A14B-B5375D9872F2.jpeg

• Like 8

On 2/6/2019 at 2:35 PM, Mike Hillis said:

Texkenzie on Tom D' site did the testing for me and it fell flat.

I disagree with his result or at least his Gold Kruzer may have an issue mine lacks. Whatever though, sounds like you have a solution that’s going to work for you so all is good.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the feed back and the pictures.  I really appreciate them as I come back here and research. 

I really hope the GMK does good on my test target as the feature set is attractive.   I'll find out in few weeks.   I'm half way with the funding.

HH
Mike 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, SLGuin said:

Those are pretty impressive finds Gerry. The TDI-BH seems to really work for you! Would you say it is as sensitive to small items as the ATX? Some more information on the recovery method you use would be an interesting thread to read too. Sorry to go off topic. 

SLGuin,  I appreciate your desire to know how an ATX does on sensitivity to the same targets.  I don't know for certain as I did not have an ATX in the salt water with me that day and compare the signals/targets.  But I do know this, the TDI Beach Hunter is almost half the cost of the ATX, lighter and easier to swing.  Now if I was wanting pure depth on larger targets and or Prospecting, I feel the bigger coil of the ATX would edge out the TDI BH'er.  Now since I paid an extra $1000 for the ATX, I might as well step up to the GPX-4500 for $500 more (same price if 15% military discount) as it has proven many people with success in a variety of soils.  That is one of the main reasons it is now the #1 performing PI detector at the Civil War Hunts called DIV.

One of my beach scoops has a stud ring catch screen.  I sometimes use mask to see tiny targets and fan with my hands in clear water.  Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Gerry,

Thanks for the further information. Never heard of a stud ring catch screen, will have to look that up.

Hopefully Mike will not be offended at straying off topic a bit. 

For my purpose it is less about depth and more about sensitivity to smaller and finer gold targets. It was a surprise to see a TDI nailing stud earrings, it just never occurred to me that it could go that small. One would think then that fine gold rings with large stones standing on edge might also be possible because just the setting might be enough to catch. Thinking there of a phenomenon described by CJ Clynick as "parachuting" where the drag of the stone settles the ring into an upright position that is harder to detect.

Tom Dankowski often says that hunting micro is about the stones, not the gold. My experience is that very little of the micro has any appreciable value. I have cups of the stuff to prove it. The real value for me is bycatch, the stuff you find because you can find that small stuff and the ways you can hunt with high frequency VLF.

Do you have any sense of how deep those earrings settle in the sand?

• 3 weeks later...

All good info on the different detectors. I seem to find the tiny stuff with the Equinox 800.

i was chasing a target and couldn’t seem to find it and when I finally got it it was a link for an old school aluminum chain. The links had broken apart and I was hitting on each and every separated link.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back to the Gold Kruzer.   I know.  crazy.

12 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm back to the Gold Kruzer.   I know.  crazy.

Not so crazy at all. The Gold Racer ought to work too, it does for me. Even the Gold Bug 2 will work fine if you set it up as Dankowski recommends, but is much less versatile than the Makro.

My first Gold Racer was trouble sorting out, but Makro stood behind it and eventually sent me a new one overnight from Turkey when repair center did not work. Since then, not a speck of trouble with it. Good rugged machine that does the job. If you do not need waterproof, it is all you need and is probably cheaper. Light, easy to swing, and very versatile. I admit drooling over the Gold Kruzer just because it is new and I do not have one, but honestly cannot think why I would need one. Will have to think harder.

I do not know what user reports say about the Gold Kruzer, but the Gold Racer is well thought of. I use one every day in season and recommend it.

Thanks SL,

I'll have it in hand in a couple of days and will see whats what.

Mike

I would take into consideration the Equinox800 and 6 "coil - I think it is similar to GoldBug2 at 6x3" coil...

Equinox800: sens 25 , rec speed-4, frekvenci 1f-40 khz..:

disk :p. Park2  1.5cm-1.8cm....

allmetal:p. Gold2 : 3-3.5cm

Gold-bug2: sens10, volume 10, treshold 1/2 to-max..

Disk: 1.5cm-1.8cm

Allmetal: 3 cm -3.5cm..

Marec 11 Iphone5S 2019 005_DxO.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1