Big Coil for GPX 5000

rusty

Is the Coiltek Lightweight Elliptical Goldstalker Mono Searchcoils 24 x 14  or the nugget finder 24 x 14 a better big coil i will be use in the desert of az  i am still new to gpx 5000  trying to find the right one the first time  and are big coil a good idea is a smaller coil better 

It is the good old brand name preference thing but honestly if you know what you are doing you should get similar results with both coils. A 24 x 14 mono is a 24 x 14 mono. I guess if you made me just pick one it would be the Nugget Finder but that is just me.

Just remember that depth is more closely related to coil width than length. What you are talking about is 14" coils that are stretched out. They gain a smidgen of depth over a 14" round coil but not much. What you are really gaining is ground coverage and often covering ground is the name of the game.

I prefer using the 18 inch NF coils, gives plenty of depth and coverage, but not as cumbersome to use as the larger coils. I used a 25" round mono once, that was all it took to convince me that I did not like that large coil.

Coverage and depth are often confused/mixed in together when discussing larger coils. As an example I would take a 14" round NF mono over a 24 x 12" elliptical mono any day for outright depth, especially in gullies/washes etc, but the 24 x 12" kills the 14" round when out patch hunting in flat terrain. This is not to say the 24x12 does not get good depth because they do, but for outright maximum depth always go round with Monoloop coils, they transmit that way and receive that way, uniformity in my opinion is the key with monoloops when chasing depth.

My all time favourite coils sizes are 14" round in tight hard to work places like gullies and washes, 17" elliptical NF for general prospecting chores, 18" round for the general deeper ground and 20" to 25" round for those super deep places that are not too big an area but specifically suitable for careful detecting chasing a lump at depth.

The 25" round requires dedication and the willingness to ruthlessly ignore small signal responses, if the ground is noisy I tend to stick with Enhance over Fine Gold, I'm listening for a lump not crumbing for small stuff. I will also use the DEEP audio filter or if things are reasonable EMI wise increase the Stabilizer and go with the NORMAL audio filter, if you do lift the Stabilizer then be aware the overall volume of the detector will also increase so be prepared to back the Target volume off a bit.

JP 

• Like 2