No Gem And Mineral Show Near Me So I Need Help

No gem and mineral show near me so I need help. The closest rock club is two hours south. 

I go beach combing a couple times a week if the weather and tides are good. I look and find agates, sea glass, seal bones and driftwood. But I also find things I can not identify like the rock in my photo. I found it on the beach. It looks like obsidian with clear and green inclusions. It is as big as a goose egg. Everything looks like glass slag but I do not know of any glass factory north of me. (I am 20 miles south of Oregon) I would think if is was slag more pieces would also be seen, even very tiny.

Any ideas?

OBSIDIAN.jpg

• Like 2

Sure looks like mixed glass. I have heard of a meteorite causing similar formations by landing in a silica-rich environment. But they usually happen in deserts as opposed to beaches. Wish I could tell you more.

• Like 1

Whatever its origin, that took some intense heat followed by a quick chill.

I think it is cool no matter whether it is glass foundry refuse, volcanic obsidian, or meteorite creation.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 7:47 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

It almost has an amber look to it 

That amber "look" is also glassy and mixed in everywhere. This is the closest color I can find that matches. (thicker part at base)retro-amber-gold-glass-tumblers-set-of-1