Minelab Equinox - The Best All Around Detector I Have Ever Used!

Thanks Steve for the comment on the Equinox.

I’m very excited to get the Equinox soon to see what it’s all about. Best of luck!

WOW! That's a powerful statement about the Equinox. Maybe I shouldn't have bit the bullet and bought the CTX too but my son and Grandson will end up with good detectors. 

I have never been sorry for buying any detector. 

After reading over the past months all these opinions on this detector I’m glad I have one on order.  Makes me wonder how a machine like the Gold Monster would excel if it had multi frequency using the higher frequencies.

As far as I know Gold Monster is the last truly new single frequency detector we will see from Minelab. I am not counting the recent refresh of the Go-Find series. Multifrequency / advanced processing is the future now, and I have no doubt a Multi-IQ based nugget detector would excel across the board. For a VLF - you always have to include that caveat when talking gold prospecting.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your efforts both on this forum and your work in helping bring the Equinox to market.. I sensed that very first early morning as I watched the drop at Detectival that the Equinox was going to be special.. I texted my dealer right then and ordered one.  I started selling off all my detectors immediately knowing the used market would soon get flooded when everyone figured it all out.  Thanks for running the best detector forum out there!

Bryan

• Thanks 2

My gut from the beginning was this is a winner. I was #1 on my dealers list, but, due to a family tragedy, he suspended his business. I'm 15th or 16th on another list and have paid in full. I can't wait to take it back to all my spots that had produced last year!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Mick93
      We do like Steve,  wife sold her nox 800 just before 3 years and ordered her new one. Showed up today and she was all excited ,put it together, charged up ready to try it out. Well the on/off switch wouldn't work!  She was a little disappointed but Minelab said send it in, so off it went !
    • By Jeff McClendon
      I have been suffering from plantar fasciitis and torn ligaments in my left ankle for about 6 months. The plantar fasciitis has cleared up on its own. The torn ligaments have not yet healed so hunting with a dig it all approach just hasn't been possible since last March. Walking is iffy enough, but lots of getting up and down is very painful. So, I have had to limit myself to shorter outings and lots of cherry picking.
      I tried an experiment using the F2 iron bias feature during my recovery for some of the parks I hunt that have high iron mineralization. I used Park 1 and Park 2 with F2=4 and just concentrated on obvious no brainer signals. Deep or shallow didn't concern me, just the quality of the response. I hunted with both zero discrimination and with half of the iron range rejected = -9 to -6. My target recovery of deeper low to mid conductive targets pretty much ceased to exist during this time.......deeper silver jewelry and coins along with any depth of higher conductive US modern coins (wheats, copper memorials, clad dimes and quarters, Kennedy halves and modern "gold" President and Sacajawea dollars) was seemingly not effected.
      Today, I hunted an exact area that I had hunted a month ago with those settings except that I hunted with F2=0 and dug every target that sounded good. I had already cleared out the higher conductive clad so none was found. I tested every low to mid conductor target from +6 to +22 (the gold and small silver jewelry range) that sounded decent using F2=0, and then switched to F2=4 and F2=9 before I dug the targets. All of these targets which were clear and obvious targets using F2=0 were beyond the range of my handheld FTP Tek Point pinpointer that was set on maximum which usually reaches coin sized targets down to 3.5 to 4" in this park. All of the targets in the photo except for the first two modern pull-tabs (bright silver and red surface finds) were recovered at deeper than 4". Some were as much as 8". They all sounded very good with repeatable signals in all four swing directions (+), and had dig me gold range numbers using F2=0. Using F2=4, all of these targets were iffy at best and the deeper ones sounded mostly like iron. Using F2=9, all of these targets were mostly iron with just a hint of low to mid conductor tones and corresponding numbers. 
      It is no wonder that I previously walked right over these targets since I had limited myself to digging only excellent sounding targets due to my injury. Even if I wasn't injured, I am not sure that I would have dug these using F2=4. No way using F2=9.
      Two of the nickels are fairly old for the Denver area, a 1949 and a 1960. Both were 8" deep and sounded very good using F2=0. The big stainless steel ring (+8) and the Avon gold plated junker (+14) were 6" deep and sounded fantastic with F2=0. The two .925 small silver jewelry items (+22) sounded great using F2=0 and were 5" deep.
      So, in higher iron mineralization, are my results an outlier or is using F2 iron bias above zero just too agressive on low and mid conductor non-ferrous targets? Comments, disagreements and Pooh Poohing are welcome.

• By Dan(NM)
      I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go after nickels because my time is limited.  I'm going to notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox the hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are being found, thanks.
    • By nwdetectorist
      Blank Sheet for Recording Custom Settings for my Nox 800

OK, Ok; back in the day of my XLT Spectrum...
      ...I had a notebook full of custom settings for my records.

Now I can convert (scan and save as) to Word Document or Adobe Acrobat to save and carry with my Smart Phone.

Problem is, I cannot seem to find a sheet to copy online.
      I know I could create my own, but...

HELP!

Started a list to see if I have the settings in the right order.
      Does anyone have suggestions and/or corrections for the following list.
      OK; what order for the Equinox Settings Sheet???
      1. What preset program to start with
      2. How many tones; 2, 5, 50
      3. Ground balance setting and/or auto balance
      4. Setup accept/reject notches for your hunt site or hunt style
      5. Select Volume for each tone region
      6. Select Tone Pitch for each tone region
      7. Set tone break, preferably at 1
      8. Set recovery speed for conditions or accept default
      9. Run Noise Cancel
      10. etc. etc. etc.
      what am I forgetting
    • By aerospace guy
      I bought these headphones and used them in the ocean last week in the Kauai (up to my neck).The dealer is always busy or on a trip so I thought I'd throw this out there to get some feedback. I had a few instances where the audio cut out completely and I jiggled the cord and it came back. My question is, should the end of the headphone cord have an o-ring like a lot of my scuba equipment does? The EQ800 still seems to work fine so I don't believe any water made it's way inside detector.
                         As to my success ..well let's just say I understand why my dealer goes to Cancun for his jewelry hunts and not where I went where the waves are 3,4,5 feet. I quickly looked for beaches with "breakwaters" that you can safely take children to and I did find lots of coins and 1 silver diamond ring..but man, it was still 'surgey' as heck and not easy to lift one foot up to push scoop into sand while keeping your balance! Anyone have any experience in using the EQ in the ocean? I saw online sand scoops with a "cross" handle (like on a small shovel) where when you scoop you can keep the scoop from twisting sideways...thoughts..usage?The scoop handle would have to be a "breakdown" type to be able to pack for air travel. The scoop I took has a straight shaft that easily turns sideways when scooping.
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So, my beach season hunting has officially started. I was going to shoot for two days hunting but a wash out on Thursday made me change some plans. I had reserved Thursday for the GPX 6000 and the 14” DD coil, but had to settle for trying the 6000, 5000 and Equinox on Friday. I changed beach locations too and ended up at the less EMI beach for the day. Started out using the GPX 5000 for clearing out some of the recently deposited junk in an area that has produced silver before. I thought the storms that ripped through the previous day would remove some sand, but it was just the opposite…. sand deposited along 3/4 of the beach (top to bottom). Also, high tide reach to the highest point of the beach, so I could only hunt where the waves did not constantly reach up top. The 5000 did well considering the beach was really sanded in and gave me my first silver of the season – a 1955 Washington quarter. The rest was clad, but for 2 copper pennies. Some junk jewelry, and maybe some iron shot or just a ball bearing, - it measured .75 caliber. The big spoon was found at 20” and I thought I was going to get a beer can or some big iron, so that was a nice surprise. Hunted with the 5000 for 6 hours and decided I cleared enough to try the 6000 in that spot. The EMI was a bit more than usual but not really bad. I’m still not sold on that 14” coil. I tried both ground settings, as well as both Salt mode and EMI mode. I tried auto, auto +, manual (full) and manual (setting 1) and some in between. I just could not get the 6000  to not false on the sand. It was partially damp, as high tide receded a while ago, but with a sensitivity of 1, I would have expected a smooth clean machine. IDK maybe the coil is not good. I did not bring the 11” mono as I really wanted to see if the salt mode would work on the 14” DD. Being a bit disappointed, and after trying all combinations of settings, I called it after around 10 minutes. So, the tide was getting as low as it was going to be, so I hunted for 3 hours with the Equinox and traded my spade for my scoop. I didn’t use the Nox much last season as the 5000 was killing the silver, so the Nox sat idle. But I wanted to see if the heavy waves dropped anything on the beach along with all that sand. There weren’t many targets, so I dug everything to get a feel for all the numbers. The hairpins and tiny wire all read a steady -2, -3. The Nox did well for the short time I used it and if I wasn’t beat from the hunt, I would have stayed in the area that was producing some coins. It was the best machine for the day to give me a chance at some gold. It felt really, really good to get out and just walk the beach. Next week all 3 machines will be at the crazy EMI beach. I will have the mono coin and the DD to see if this beach (dry sand) will be ok for the 14” coil. Can’t wait!!!