What do you think of headphone amplifiers? 

I stumbled across these on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NUGGET-BOOSTER-Amplifier-suits-SD-GP-series-Minelab-Gold-Metal-Detectors/302622416001?hash=item4675b39c81:g:GoEAAOSw~QRaOL48

Although for $20 I can get a similar thing from China on Aliiexpress.

My hearing isn't ideal, I blame it on my teenage years and my cars sound system as a youngster! 

If it makes those hard to hear signals at the edge of being able to even detect worthwhile perhaps I do need one, has anyone used one? do they seem worthwhile?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I have always used enhancers...I love Jonathan Porters dual speaker system. It can be used without the speakers...or with one speaker...or with headphones. I would not run my gpz without one. 

Way back when; I used DepthMaster headphones on my Gold Bug 2...and other detectors. 

I don't have damaged ears but at 67 they are a bit used...haha!

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amplifiers, when used correctly, are great. They are able to lift subtle responses that can be missed. I love the B&Z booster I have used for twelve years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Simon. Like the two good fellows above have said. I too have & have used JP's B&Z dual external booster/speaker combo for quite a few years now & would not be without one.. Prior to the B&Z when I had my GP 3000 I used a DeTacc signal booster & always through the headphones. I took a while to be comfortable using external speakers as I loved being locked in to my own world with the headphones. The headphones blocked out external sounds & it was just me & what the detector was telling me about the ground & of course the target signals. I tried external speakers but just didn't gell with them, but a few operators out there, that I "look" up to, insisted on there use over headphones. So one weekend I deliberately left my headphones at home & was forced to detect the whole weekend with the external speakers. I don't really know what it was but something just clicked  with me & I have never used headphones since. With the Zed & its wireless audio & no headphone or battery cable.....bliss. The SDC had a too short a cable on the headphones, even though it was a curly cable it was a damn pain. The headphone jack point was the small one, just like the Gold Monster, & so not compatible with the 1/4 inch plug that most boosters come with. It then required an adaptor to make it work. But due to our insanely mild ground the 2300 hasn't been a big fan of mine. With a booster through headphones you just need to be very careful of blasting your ears with a sudden LOUD close to surface signal. ie .22 or lead bullet. More so with a silent threshold detector like the GM 1000. With the PI machines you were always trying to maintain a very smooth even threshold background sound, & any interruption to that needed investigating. Especially those very very faint soft mellow whispers. They are the ones that give you a hard on, excuse the termanology :rolleyes:, & get you excited. They are also the ones where the signal booster comes into its own. So yes, a signal booster, in my book, is a must have item. Congrats too on your just over one gram of finds in the weekend. You are obviously getting it sussed. Well done. Cheers.

Good luck out there 

JW :smile:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks John, yes, I'm really starting to have a ball doing my metal detecting, the Gm1000 was a great learning tool to just get my head around how it all worked, now I also really enjoy using the GBP.  Now that I'm starting to find Gold my wife is being far more encouraging, I think because she's seeing I am enjoying it more than she thought I would.  She thought it was embarrassing at first :biggrin: I've had quite a few tourists ask for a turn now though and they think it's great so perhaps that's calmed her embarrassment level and I tend to wander off and do it myself now, at the start I tried to get her involved getting her a GBP also but that didn't work. 

I think I'll invest in a headphone amplifier, not so much for the GM1000 as there is far less noise going on with it, the sounds are easier to hear, on the GBP there is so much going on noise wise it may help me there.  My hearing is fine, I can hear everything perfectly if there isn't too many noises at once, if i'm in a busy shop with lots of people talking and background music and someone talks to me I struggle to hear them properly.  The GBP takes both size headphones so that's handy.

I can't believe the depth you are getting on your 7000, incredible, our mild soil has to be helping with that, at least you know that deep it's unlikely to be rubbish.

I have only played with  the Gold Monster while helping my buddy Jeff.  I doubt anyone needs audio enhancement with that detector. 

We went out twice for only a few hours, in a well worked spot and found three little nuggets...if you call 1 grain a nugget...

At any rate, be careful if you use an enhancer with the Gold Monster 1000!

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks fred, I was thinking more for my Gold Bug Pro and Teknetics T2

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this topic up phrunt, I didn't even know these were available.

• Like 1

Nor did I, I just discovered them yesterday, it seems the pro's have been using them for years :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm hoping to use the E800 underwater, and it seems like some amplifiers might help in that environment.  Does anyone know if they can be found in waterproof functionality?

Here's something that could use the bluetooth anyway...

https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/tayogo-amp-waterproof-headphones-music-player/