The Consequence Of Equinox

"The Consequence of Equinox". A term to be used to describe how something new devalues and virtually obsoletes anything that does not have the latest technology and performance.  What I am seeing is an ALMOST  complete halt to metal detector sales in the 650.00 on up range. Used machines even high end detectors have dropped in value and sit on forums and for sale sights with hardly any interest. The testers that have had their hands on the Equinox and dumped their machines were lucky, they had the "insider trading" advantage. Minelab makes fantastic machines and whomever does their marketing is an absolute genius. Not only have they come up with a new and supposedly show stopper machine, they have dealt a crushing blow to other manufactures that have machines with less features in that price range and above. How about a Deus for 1500.00 with less features? A V3i heavy and not waterproof? A CTX heavy and more than twice the cost. An MX Sport single frequency at the same price.  AT Pro, nah single frequency. I know that I would have loved to have sold off a a couple machines and not took a beating. But hey the old machines are like junk in the closet now to be taken out for nostalgic reasons. Hey remember the radio shack machine you found that 1/4-20 washer with? I can't sell that! LOL. Well folks hopefully we are into a new era of latest and greatest. I really don't know how many detectorists are out there that will spend the money to support companies that can afford to have the brain trust to develop cutting edge technology. Well that's my rant and my personal opinion on this. Now to check on my E800 order. I still have a fondness for my deus though and will keep the batteries charged. Dig we must! 

• Like 9

You're spot on Johnny

• Thanks 1

I sold my safari and very used xterra 705 in order to finance the equinox preorder. It was late September and I got a good return on them. I didn't sell them because I didn't like them, although I did thinki would be using them only rarely once I got my Equinox. I dont think the deus will stop selling although their sales might take a hit. I smell price reduction. I expect the new macro kruzer line, that are feature-packed, and well-priced will sell well. The competition in the market will put downward pressure on the pricing of existing and proven detectors, which will pick up in sales. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spot on.  I’ve had a AT Gold for sale for a month now. Not a nibble but I refuse to give it away.  Usually when you sell a used machine you have to pile on so many extra coils and other accessories that they become more valuable than the detector.  Probably will just start keeping my older detectors and hope I can develop an interest toward detecting with my grand daughters as they get older.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SavingThePast said:

you nailed it!   I sold off my racer and racer2 to pay for the nox and I dont get out as much as i was so I am past the point of owning multiple machines. I am hoping the nox offers most everything I hope for and its going to be my only machine.

good you did, Kruzers will hurt their resale ability (and price) also...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Well,

The only thing I can say on this subject.  Minelab has indeed got into many folks detecting psyche.  There are still many targets lurking that other detector models can and will find.  I have sold no detectors because of Equinox.  I did sell one, but only because I wasn't using detector and it was too heavy for me to enjoy.  I have already paid for Equinox, and will use when I receive.

Well my insider at Minelab Joe Ray Gieger  the 3rd says the Eqinox is equivalent to Halle Berry vs Whoppi Goldberg.. 

Where as Halle Berry has a Multi IQ vs Whoppi Goldberg no IQ

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1