Pinpointers and Gold Nuggets

After reading a post from rumblefish he had asked the question?

"So I got to wondering, what is the minimum flake/nugget size that can be detected?

Could anyone with an SDC  (or even a Pro Pointer)  post and tell me their results?"

So I thought I would try a small nugget with the x-pointer, don't know the size of this nugget but the x-pointer would not detect it, Yes it was on level 4..

post-411-0-20415400-1420340273_thumb.jpg

So I thought I would try a small nugget with the x-pointer, don't know the size of this nugget but the x-pointer would not detect it, Yes it was on level 4..

I'd have no problem picking that up with the TRX. I put a 3 grain piece of lead in a pan full of heavily mineralized dirt/gravel and was able to find it in about 5 seconds.

I do not use pinpointers much when prospecting. If the detector can find the nugget all I need is a pick and a plastic scoop. I do keep a pinpointer handy when hunting tailing piles or anywhere there is real deep junk but I use it to locate the big piece of junk, not the gold. I used pinpointers in Alaska but really have not since coming south. Good to have around though just in case.

The Falcon MD20 Gold Probe easily locates tinier gold than a normal metal detector can find but only at an inch or so. My SDC 2300 or Gold Bug 2 easily hit gold smaller than normal pinpointer will detect so the detector is the pinpointer. I have only really used my MD20 for finding speaks of gold in quartz samples.

I find pinpointers to be indispensable for detecting in parks or other turf areas where digging holes is a big deal to be avoided. Prospecting? Not so much.

falcon-md20-pinpointer.jpg

• Like 3

Steve , just wondering....have you ever hit a nugget with your pick? I have to admit I have and it just killz me looking at it. I carry a pinpointer now, just in case. I don't use it on every target, but I find that in certain areas and grounds I have to be more careful,  helps me pin point the target and than I careful dig around.

Yes I have given a few nuggets a scrape! And yes, now if I think I am zeroing in on a nugget in a very deep very narrow hole I break out the pinpointer. If I can keep the hole wide not really a worry because I dig behind the target. But sometimes I get forced to gopher hole, again, usually in tailings.

The photo below is of a 1.26 oz nugget I found with the aid of the Pro Pointer at Ganes Creek, Alaska. That hole is deeper than it looks because you are staring straight down it. I still use that same pinpointer to this day.

garrett-pro-pointer-ganes-creek-nugget.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not at the professional level yet where I can hit a target, pinpoint it with my detector, then dig the target out in one fell swoop. I usually hit the target, dig or scrape the dirt, then swing the detector over the target to pinpoint it again, then dig a little more, then swing the detector to pinpoint it again, then dig a little more, then put the loose dirt that I think contains my target in my scoop, and then wave it over my coil. If the target is not in the scoop, then I swing it once more over the dig area to pinpoint it once again, dig a little, scoop the dirt, wave over the coil, finally hit the target in the scoop, then half the scoops until I can get a visual on the target or pick it out.

My new method... hit the target, pinpoint with the coil, mark the point, put the detector down, and then whip out my pick and the TRX and proceed to find the target (usually in less than 30 seconds) vs. the several minutes it usually takes me with the detector.

My detecting buddy uses the falcon to find gold. Hes been going to some quartz covered gullies on public land where they have basically banned detecting. So he uses the falcon and always seems to come back with 5-10 pieces of quartz that sound off. Most have no visible gold...but he crushes them up,and sure enough theres gold.

I've tested a few pinponters out for nugget hunting and have come to the conclusion the most sensitive and affordable is the one they sell at Harbor Freight. Only $20! and will get the tiny nuggets that say the Garrett Pro-Pointer misses.

So far me, the Garrett for every thing else but nuggets, especially when you are in small nugget territory. 

Here it is here: http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

• 8 years later...
On 1/7/2015 at 5:48 PM, Bearkat said:

I've tested a few pinponters out for nugget hunting and have come to the conclusion the most sensitive and affordable is the one they sell at Harbor Freight. Only $20! and will get the tiny nuggets that say the Garrett Pro-Pointer misses.

So far me, the Garrett for every thing else but nuggets, especially when you are in small nugget territory. 

Here it is here: http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Looks like you now have yourself a Genuine “collectors piece”..…

…(From “Harbor Freight”, No Less!)😉

IMG_0202.jpeg