Where Do You Find Most Of Your Rings?

Skate

On 2/12/2018 at 10:09 AM, Mike Hillis said:

That is a lot of tabs, Skate.   A lot of large pull tabs.   

Why do you think that you need to be digging square tabs to find a gold ring?    How many types of gold rings are likely to give the same ID as a large square pull tab?   Who would wear a large pull tab type of ring?   What activities would cause someone who wears a large pull tab type of ring to be lost?   Are any of those activities taking place where you dug all those square pull tabs?   Does that activity take place often enough that there is a good chance of a ring being lost, and, most importantly, lost and not recovered?

I'm trying to be helpful.  If you are going to go out and dig pull tabs at least understand why to dig them and where to dig them. 

I cannot over emphasis  the importance of those books titles I posted if you really want to be successful at this.  You hunt gold with your mind and recover it with a metal detector.  

HH

Mike

If I may I'll answer your question from my point of view.  I will dig tabs all day in a park where It can be done without worrying about all the plugs.  It's where the bigger heavier rings come in and one of those can equal 4-5 dinks so, well worth the effort to me.  I'll take large mens bands and heavy 10K class ring any day of the week. I also feel there a lot more of those type lost than say small engagement type rings.

• Like 1

Gold rings are quite hard to find , and they can be found anywhere where people go .

On the beaches look at rock pools , or anywhere they can get trapped . Check black sand areas and below cuttings or ridges in the beach. On the beach the best place is usually just beyond low tide or where i find most of my rings between the tides.

On land they can be at entrances to fields , along pathways , on pasture fields where people have picnics and markets , or in the old days on cultivated fields if a worker or someone lost one . 

And to put salt into the wounds they come in at almost all the numbers people like to ignore , and the best / worst one is the ring pull / pull tab.  

• Like 2

I have found rings in tot lots and athletic fields and even parks.. Tot lots have been good because I have found my gold rings there. Usually the athletic fields I have found silver rings and even a class ring or two. 

I hit one soccer field a few years ago that had 14 fields and took me over a month to hunt at 4 hrs a day but I managed 9 rings and two were gold bands plus $200+ in clad. The rings I found in the playing area and the clad on the sidelines.  Even locally I find 70% of the clad and the few rings I have found were sideline rings at soccer fields, 

I look where people congregate for outdoor events. Festivals and carnivals. Fairgrounds and fringes of ball fields.  Old high school sports fields usually produce well. 

The most expensive ring I ever found was in a tot lot near the kiddie swings. I never miss a chance to hunt a tot lot. More than paid for a detector when I sold it to the pawn shop

If you stop and think about it how often do you lose anything including change from your pocket. That's why newer parks don't produce much they haven't had the years to accumulate coins and rings. 

• Like 2

With Frisbee courses becoming popular this might be a good place to pick up a ring.  Hunt around the Tee box area where they make the initial throw down range at the basket.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I’ve been reading this thread, and although it’s a few years old there’s lots of good points and info here..I’ve had a few DFX machines and to be honest they just fried my brain,I’m not a tweaker..But,, I live in western Pennsylvania and although I tear it up on old silver and coppers ,I’ve only gotten about 5 gold rings/pendants in about 13 years…I try,I dig alot of junk but I just don’t end up with it..So, I’m thinking of getting a DFX, and that book Clive Clynick  DFX gold methods Mike Hillis talked about earlier in the thread..Also, I’ve read a lot of post on successful dirt ring hunters and the one thing everyone seems to agree on is most aren’t deep. With the new arrow coil out,4x18 I think that would be a excellent coil for the DFX, cover a lot of ground and not hafto dig super deep..Good thread here,very informative 

• Like 1