OK I am new to gold panning but I want to purchase one so I can do some sampling around my property have searched the web for what would be best for a beginner there are so many different types on the internet that for a beginner gold panner it is pretty confusingĀ  what does everyone suggest for a beginner at panning

I know panning is not easy at first and there is a technique to it its a learning process as everything is thats new to someone just looking for suggestions

I figure a gold pan would be the easiest way to sample and see if there is gold here and the cheapest to start

Thanks Fred have looked at the Minelab kit which comes with a 1/2 inch classifying pan would you recommend also purchasing a smaller size classifier for the kit also like say a 3/8 or 1/4 just want to get everything I need at one timeĀ 

I like any gold pan (steel or plastic) that has a large or wide bottom. I find it easier to get the gold to separate from the black sands with a larger bottom. When you start looking at gold pans some have very narrow or small bottom and vary in size to a large or wide bottom. You will find all combinations of riffles built into the side of the gold pan. They all work depending on your skill.

thanks for the replies

44 minutes ago, fredmason said:

I don't use a classifier, however a 1/4 inch is a good addition....

actually, I don't pan anymore...just detect, but when I did....

fredĀ 

Thanks again fred as usual you are johnny on the spot and I do not mean that in a bad way just you are always one of the first to answer peoples post with useful and helpfulĀ  info again thanks

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...