Equinox 800 At My House!!!

Tometusns

Outstanding Tom!!!  Interesting that you are running IB 3.  And did those Indians come in using your custom settings, or were they below 22?  Tim.

5 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Outstanding Tom!!!  Interesting that you are running IB 3.  And did those Indians come in using your custom settings, or were they below 22?  

Tim, I've been using that set up out at municipal park. It wasn't opened until 1938 so I don't worry about missing Indians there. They are usually 19/20,21 it just depends on what the grounds like or I should say has in it. 

I'm no expert for sure so I may need to run iron bias in a different number....?  I've been finding stuff and not digging a bunch of bottle caps but I do dig some. 

In a good yard I just run it open but the one I was in today and several like it I'l just put down to 17 back in and hunt that way. If I hit something a lot of times I'll hit the all metal button to see what's around it and determine whether I want to dig or not...I usually dig.. lol. 

I've found that the vdi numbers vary quite a bit but I attribute that to the ground conditions and many times there's junk close to a good target. The last barber I dug hit 20/21 and wasn't very deep. I thought it was probably a zinc but we were in an old yard so I popped out a plug and swept the coil over it the numbers jumped up to the silver dime numbers I said to the friend I was with hmmm this might be interesting and sure enough barber dime. I put it in all metal, swept the plug and the was a bunch of iron in it. I still say if it's repeatable in an old yard better dig it. Oh well,  all I know is I still love noxy and I really believe some of the good stuff I've found was simply because other detectors for whatever reason didn't see it or the operator didn't dig it.

I've seen several guys complaining about rusty nails and I've dug plenty myself but when I dig one the signal is iffy at best and I honestly don't expect it to be good... but with the Equinox on many occasions there has been a good target hiding in with the junk. I think I'm getting better at telling the difference but that'll just take more time. I'll continue to dig a lot of stuff for now until I really get to know the Equinox but feel very confident that if I swing over it noxy will let me know it's there. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tometusns said:
6 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Tim, I've been using that set up out at municipal park. It wasn't opened until 1938 so I don't worry about missing Indians there. They are usually 19/20,21 it just depends on what the grounds like or I should say has in it. 

I'm no expert for sure so I may need to run iron bias in a different number....?  I've been finding stuff and not digging a bunch of bottle caps but I do dig some. 

In a good yard I just run it open but the one I was in today and several like it I'l just put down to 17 back in and hunt that way. If I hit something a lot of times I'll hit the all metal button to see what's around it and determine whether I want to dig or not...I usually dig.. lol. 

I've found that the vdi numbers vary quite a bit but I attribute that to the ground conditions and many times there's junk close to a good target. The last barber I dug hit 20/21 and wasn't very deep. I thought it was probably a zinc but we were in an old yard so I popped out a plug and swept the coil over it the numbers jumped up to the silver dime numbers I said to the friend I was with hmmm this might be interesting and sure enough barber dime. I put it in all metal, swept the plug and the was a bunch of iron in it. I still say if it's repeatable in an old yard better dig it. Oh well,  all I know is I still love noxy and I really believe some of the good stuff I've found was simply because other detectors for whatever reason didn't see it or the operator didn't dig it.

I've seen several guys complaining about rusty nails and I've dug plenty myself but when I dig one the signal is iffy at best and I honestly don't expect it to be good... but with the Equinox on many occasions there has been a good target hiding in with the junk. I think I'm getting better at telling the difference but that'll just take more time. I'll continue to dig a lot of stuff for now until I really get to know the Equinox but feel very confident that if I swing over it noxy will let me know it's there. 

Thanks for the response Tom,

Just today I found a similar odd id target.  I was sweeping a park that has been refreshed since I got the Equinox 600.  I was focusing on digging mid-tones since I had already been over this area with the Equinox... so basically my intent was to clean the ground a little and see if anything interesting popped up.  About 10 steps into the park, I get this 14-15-16 tone but every once in a while it peeps a 27-28... I even got a few 37-38's in my multiple sweeps, but it was repeating in the mid teens.  I got some modulation with the pinpointer, so I knew it was probably 4+"... and fully expected to pull a bent rust nail.  Low and behold, off center in the hole, at about 6"... a '52 Rosie.  So I agree, it is very interesting what the ground/other target conditions can play on the ID's.   I did resweeps the hole, and it was silent, but then, there could have been iron nearby that I was then disc'ing out after breaking up the halo by digging.  But, it gave me a solid enough tone to investigate... and that is what I am enjoying with the Equinox.  Thanks for your info above, more relevant data for the 'ol computer between my ears.  ;)  Tim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tometusns said:

Tim, were you able to tell if the 52 rosey was on edge? 

Yes, it was angled, maybe at about a 45 degree... I pinpointed it about 3-4 inches off center, that is probably why.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You've really been vacuuming up the old coins.  1918 Walking Liberty Half?  Nice!  Can you estimate how many hours of hunting this latest set of photos represents?  Obviously you have a very good site(s).

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You've really been vacuuming up the old coins.  1918 Walking Liberty Half?  Nice!  Can you estimate how many hours of hunting this latest set of photos represents?  Obviously you have a very good site(s).

Thanks GB,

Each photo was a hunt. I've been hunting yards. I really like the smaller yards because I think they are over looked by a lot of hunters. The last pic was two yards. Both had been hunted before. I got the two v nickels, 46rosey, angel pin, sharps casing, one wheatie and a key from it. The other yard had the half... not sure how I missed it before (two years ago) the ring is 10k and my first gold ring. The stuff is from the last two weeks in April. The time spent.... probably 20 hrs. maybe a little more. I can't go everyday but I sure try. I've had some hunts that only resulted in a couple wheaties and one hunt that the only good find was the nhdvs button. Hmmm maybe I should say 20 plus hrs. lol. 

• Like 1