When Will There Be An Overstock Of The 800?

Lighthouse

Being a true newbie, currently owning 0 metal detectors, I've decided that the Minelab Equinox 800 is going to be my very first machine. Luckily for me, I've only known about it's existence since middle of January, unlike most of you that have been in the hot seat since September 2017. That said, being a newbie, I'm not of a mind to toss $900 at a website, dealer, even a brand not knowing the whose who of the industry, and not knowing when I'm actually going to have the thing in my hands. So my question is this:

For those experienced detectorists that have a long history of using, and dealing with Minelab and their new product launches in the past, how long do you think it's going to take for me to just "Point of Purchase" one of these units? In other words, how long until I can just walk into my local dealers shop or Sporting Goods store and 1 or 2 units will be just sitting on the shelf? 

With the demand so high I don't think anyone can give you, even an approximate answer.

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nugget buddy,

I have only been detecting since Dec 2010.

I will go out on a limb here.

No one,  no detectorist period I don't think has seen what has happened with Equinox.

Social media, Internet  has contributed heavily to what has happened too.

Minelab has had a good name in the USA, with 2 exceptions. There previous released detectors have been on the heavy side and a bit pricey.

Hence Equinox being light weight and possessing multi frequency for added stability in salt water environment, being waterproof and priced lower so as to compete, all these combined, the Equinox has garnered unheard of popularity even before official release.  

To answer your question.  Who knows.  I expect (speculate) as spring and summer near, more and more folks will be ordering, trying to purchase Equinox.  Backlogs could go on for s long while.  It is possible someone who actually has Equinox may decide to sell,for one reason or the other.  But I wouldn't  expect a used unit to lay idle for very long in a detecting forums classified section.

I probably didn't help you much.

If you want Equinox. I encourage you to not waste any time expressing your desires with a Minelab dealer.  Waiting will only delay your getting imo.

Purely a guess but I would have thought there would be nothing sitting on a shelf somewhere until at least April.

AND, if the general users getting them now find them as amazing as the testers, and there are no technical/coil issues and the 'haters' have very little to hate about then you may find that date pushed waaaaay back.   I can only imagine that there are more people sitting back and waiting for a greater number of positive reviews than there are people who have put their cash on the table already. 

Personally I am in the waiting group only because I don't have the cash to lay down now.   Being a glass half full kind of person it just means that I'll be able to watch all the great reviews and have more bargaining power with the "old ball and chain" when I do open the wallet.  

• Like 1

Like everyone else it's hard to say I think even minelab was not ready for the response. The response should tell us what the community of detectorist think. I have been detecting for nearly 15 years I have used Garrets, Whites, tecknetics and minelab both mid range and hi end units. I have found minelab to be what works for me in my soil for the targets I hunt.  I used the explorer se pro for a few years before I went to the ctx I used it since day 1 of it's pre-order. Some clim it was heavy but I didn't feel so.  I am leaving the ctx for the eq800 not because I think it will replace but because my hunting style and targets have changed more to relic hunting then coin shooting so it fits me better. So my advice is take your time learn the nox and enjoy it but give it time before you swap machines. Then find if it works for you watch the trolls and bad advice people you will spot then quickly.

• Like 1

I know this most of the dealers don't expect even the 2nd shipment to cover the pre-orders and I was told yesterday morning and they expect another shipment before the end of the month. With that being said I would guess every 3 weeks they will get a shipment. 

The shirttail connection I have with Minelab in the Chicago office says before then end of the month for the next shipment. That connection is through my nieces hubby that knows someone at Minelab. Not sure how reliable the source is. They guy could be the window washer.

• Like 1

Consider looking for a small dealer who doesn't have a large internet presence.  The big name dealers will be flooded with orders for some time.  The lesser known, non-internet dealers are receiving product and they have shorter waiting lists.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TedinVT said:

Consider looking for a small dealer who doesn't have a large internet presence.  The big name dealers will be flooded with orders for some time.  The lesser known, non-internet dealers are receiving product and they have shorter waiting lists.

Ted is spot on.

I contacted a small dealer about a month ago and asked to be added to his list.  I was number 3 on the list and will be picking mine up next week.

Go on Minelab's website and use their dealer search tool to locate one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TedinVT said:

I used a smaller dealer, he didn't get any this go round, I'm 15 or so on his list, it's going to be a long wait.

• Like 1