White’s TDI Sl Special Edition With Miner John Folded Mono Coil

On 2/14/2018 at 11:48 PM, LukeJ said:

At least they could have upgraded to Li-ion batteries.  I did it to my SPP.

Kudos on the garage mod, LukeJ.  I did similarly when I added a second, smaller external pack to take a total of 12 AA's (~17 V max), but obviously yours is a lot lighter than mine.  (I like lightweight!)

A bit off topic, but while swinging my SPP last week in Arizona I noticed the power cutting out.  It happened a couple times and I had to open and close the battery door to get the detector to start working again.  Anyone else experience that problem?  (I was only using the standard 8-pack with NiMH AA's so I don't think this has anything to do with something I've done.)

Speaking of TDI/SL batteries, I recently bought an rnb-inovations 29 mAh pack but didn't want to take it on the plane flight....  Surprisingly it only puts out a max of a bit over 12 V.  I think this unit is marketed for more than just the TDI (works in MXT, I think) so maybe they didn't want to take advantage of the full 14.4 V and risk damaging other models.  One more reason to prefer your mod.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Kudos on the garage mod, LukeJ.  I did similarly when I added a second, smaller external pack to take a total of 12 AA's (~17 V max), but obviously yours is a lot lighter than mine.  (I like lightweight!)

A bit off topic, but while swinging my SPP last week in Arizona I noticed the power cutting out.  It happened a couple times and I had to open and close the battery door to get the detector to start working again.  Anyone else experience that problem?  (I was only using the standard 8-pack with NiMH AA's so I don't think this has anything to do with something I've done.)

Speaking of TDI/SL batteries, I recently bought an rnb-inovations 29 mAh pack but didn't want to take it on the plane flight....  Surprisingly it only puts out a max of a bit over 12 V.  I think this unit is marketed for more than just the TDI (works in MXT, I think) so maybe they didn't want to take advantage of the full 14.4 V and risk damaging other models.  One more reason to prefer your mod.

Yes, the RnB Li-ion battery puts out 12.6v when fully charged... That is the maximum voltage the White's VLF detectors can handle. A forum member (Reidman) sells the TDI SL specific Li-ion battery on eBay. That battery is rated at 14.8v but is actually 16.8v when fully charged... This brings the SL voltage up to the same level as the Pro.

White's designed the TDI SL to run on NiMH 9.6v batteries, which are less expensive and don't have shipping restrictions. That also enabled the TDI Pro circuit boards to be placed in the smaller and lighter SL control box.

• Like 3

doc holiday 

You be oh so right on the TDI Pro and White’s had it going in the right direction. But then they drop it like hot potato . It may had to do with cost but nugget hunters are willing to pay the price.

GB

The contacts that the pack hits may be bent. You may want to take a hook and pull them out a little. You could open the case up to do it. I may be wrong but that’s what it sounds lt could be.

Chuck

• Thanks 1

The first thing the SL is under powered and I find it hard to believe that the pro and SL have the same circuit board.

That coat of paint is not going to make it better!

Let White’s come out with something better than the SL and I’ll sell my other nugget detectors. Then go back buying American only.

Chuck

• Like 1

I’ve said this before that I had one of the first 200 TDI’s that White’s came out with. I first was hunting on a beach in Ms. and I never before dug so deep for a single coin in my life. I didn’t have it long and started having trouble. Well I sent it in the first time and it came back with the same problem.Back it went again and back it came same trouble as before.Yes I sent it in again but this time I called Jimmy Sierra and he called White’s and said give him a new one.I got it but after that I just wasn’t happy with it like the first. Then later I traded it off and for what I don’t remember .

Chuck

Here's a very informative thread if anyone is interested in more details on the differences between the TDI, TDI Pro and TDI SL... Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, V3i/MXT Pro said:

Here's a very informative thread if anyone is interested in more details on the differences between the TDI, TDI Pro and TDI SL... Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

Thanks a ton for that link, V/M Pro.  I assume this 'reg' is Reg Sniff who is well known as an aftermarket 'hacker' (the good kind) of the TDI.  Pretty enlightening what he says about the (lack of) differences.  Glad I didn't run out and buy a Pro after already owning the SPP, especially because I'm a (light)weight zealot.  Need to warm up my soldering iron....

• Like 1

I've owned both the TDI SL and Pro... As I mentioned above, in my area, I couldn't see any measurable difference in depth when my SL was equipped with the 14.8v battery (you may have different results in your ground). I can run the gain at full on my SL with a smooth threshold. The threshold would wobble on the Pro when I approached 3/4 gain.

Unfortunately, Dan Geyer, White's PI engineer and "Father" of the TDI project passed away unexpectedly... With Dan's passing TDI development went on hold. The Pro model was retired and most of the accessory coils went out of production. There was even development work on a waterproof version of the SL but there has been no update on that in years.

I have said it before several times on this forum... IMHO White's is missing a big market opportunity by not waterproofing the TDI SL and V3i. They did something similar with the MX Sport by re-engineering the MXT platform. It would provide a real option for water hunters and put White's right back in the simultaneous multi-frequency battle.

• Like 2