White’s TDI Sl Special Edition With Miner John Folded Mono Coil

Here is the blurb from the White’s website:

The TDI SL Metal Detector has pulse induction power that provides unbeatable depth and sensitivity in its price range. And now the deal is even better.

More than a new paint job, this Special Edition features key changes to the TDI platform aimed at serious prospectors. First and foremost, this detector ships with an 8 x 12″ Miner John Designs Folded Mono search coil. This choice was made to give gold prospectors better depth on large nuggets, but also increased sensitivity to small specimen gold that other pulse machines might miss. We also swapped the intermediate and lower shafts to create a streamlined “straight shaft” configuration preferred by gold hunters. Finally, to top it all off we revamped the control box with a desert tan paint scheme ideal for hot environments.

This package is offered for a limited time and at a discounted price. And best of all the detector and coil are Made in America.

The rechargeable NIMH battery lasts up to 6 hours, and a backup AA battery back will power all-day exploration. At a weight of only 3.3 lbs, and rugged metal construction, this Special Edition TDI SL is ready for serious prospecting. Are you?

If you already have the TDI and just want to buy this awesome coil, please visit Miner John’s website.

Download Product Manual

White's TDI SL Special Edition Data & Reviews

SKU: 800-0332-MJD MSRP $1099.95

7CCA318E-FD33-44A0-B4E1-A3F26E4B64CF.jpeg
White's TDI SL Special Edition metal detector for gold prospecting

whites-tdi-sl-special-edition-pulse-induction-gold-nugget-detector.jpg

White's TDI SL Special Edition studio photo

whites-tdi-sl-special-edition-controls.jpg
White's TDI SL Special Edition close up of controls

whites-miner-john-folded-mono-tdi-special-edition.jpg
White's TDI SL Special Edition close up of Miner John Folded Mono Coil

• Like 3

A wise move in my opinion,should have been done a few years back,but as the old saying goes 'better late than never',using the MJ folded coils that was a great decision as i have never liked the stock DF coils that came with my Pro,infact i have only use mine for about sub 60 minutes.

The 2 coils that i use the most is a MJ folded mono but the next size down i think its a 10x6 or something like that and its really deadly on small items,but my everyday use is the 14x9 Coiltek Mono coil,the reason i like this its so light being foam filled and can swing this rig around all day long.

Glad that Whites have been listening and taken some action as i feel in the last 3-4 years after being a loyal Whites fan for many many years they have been in my mind going down the same route as Tesoro and resting on ones laurels from the past.I am afraid that they still need to come out with something new as the gap between them and other brands 'that' have bought out totally new machines has widened and by a massive margin.

Whites you certainly get my vote on this latest incarnation of the TDI,all you need to basically do is address the battery life issue.

• Like 1

So they didn't change any of the internal electronics?  Perhaps boosting it to the power level of the TDI-PRO would have been a good idea.  Everything they are offering, was pretty much already available.  Sure, I guess the straight shaft is something, and the paint job will make the box cooler to the touch.  I'm a little underwhelmed.  Sorry.

At least they could have upgraded to Li-ion batteries.  I did it to my SPP.  All they'd have to do is modify the existing battery holder like I did.  I just don't understand the baby steps.

When I noticed this topic I momentarily got excited.  Then I read through it twice to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  But I guess I'm still missing something.  The day when White's rises to the occasion.  Sorry for the negativity.

Luke

SPP battery.jpg

• Like 4

I have to agree....

A new paint job, a straight shaft  and an aftermarket coil added on isn't exactly earth shaking advancements.

I hope White's steps up again because the Equinox is gonna put some pressure on them and they haven't really made any advancements since the V3i which was ahead of the herd by a long jump but they are losing ground and really can't afford to sit on their butts..

I am a White's guy and have been since the 70s .... I am still very happy with my V3i and MXT as well as an old Eagle Spectrum. 

In many ways the V3i is still ahead of it's time and is a tough act to follow.

I am sure they have something in the works but I guess we all have to wait and see.

• Like 1

I have a TDI SL with the same straight shaft and that set-up works great on the beach. It's ultra-light and balanced in this configuration. I use a 14.8v Li-ion battery (similar to the one shown above). I also own 6 coils, both DF and Mono. I bought my SL during one of the promotions. The entire package cost less than $1,500, brand new, including the battery and coils. Maybe I missed something but who else offers a ground balancing PI in that price range?

In my ground, I was getting the same depth as my TDI Pro, so I sold the Pro. I've dug coins at 19" on a saltwater beach. I can't comment on prospecting capability as I live on the East coast. Further, I've been told the SL and Pro have the same circuit board... The only differences being the stock battery voltage and the filtering that smooths out the threshold on the SL.

• Like 4

Does this configuration still have the blind spot to certain size gold that I have heard about?

Here's a pic of my preferred surfline setup... 3 lbs 9 oz (including battery), perfectly balanced, 14.8v Li-ion, covers the wet sand in one swing. It's very stable, and deep, running the gain wide open in saltwater. Of course, I use my Excal or Surfmaster DF when going under water.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, V3i/MXT Pro said:

Here's a pic of my preferred surfline setup... 3 lbs 9 oz (including battery), perfectly balanced, 14.8v Li-ion, covers the wet sand in one swing. It's very stable, and deep, running the gain wide open in saltwater. Of course, I use my Excal or Surfmaster DF when going under water.

image.jpeg

What is it like pinpointing wise with those long narrow coils ??? it is still right in the middle of the coil or is it harder pinointing with them.

I had one of the first two hundred of White’s TDI and I now have a Sierra Pulse Pro and came with two coils. I got the smaller folded eight coil of Miner John’s, He makes some great coils but I have not used the one that’s coming with the SL now. I have used the Nugget Finder 8 x 6 Sadie coil on my SPP detector . Now this was a air test between John’s and Sadie coil on the SPP. I found the Sadie coil was more sensitive to small gold than folded eight,

I’m great lover of White’s detectors but it’s going to take more than a coat of paint and a different coil to make something special.

I just wish White’s would spend more time working on a better P I  than what they got now.

Chuck

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RickUK said:

What is it like pinpointing wise with those long narrow coils ??? it is still right in the middle of the coil or is it harder pinointing with them.

Rick, That's a TDI Big Foot coil... It's no longer in production. It was designed and handbuilt by the late Dan Geyer, lead engineer on the White's TDI and Surfmaster projects. It pinpoints off the tip of the coil with laser-like precision.  Tom

• Like 2